Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Good" FHR travel agent?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2010, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

"Good" FHR travel agent?

Don't know if i should post in Amex forum so mod please move if it should be there...

Has anyone had an experience with any GOOD Amex Plat travel agents? I currently have a room at a MO booked for a special occasion and I want to try and confirm an upgrade. My Virtuoso agent has a Mandarin rep that was able to confirm UG's for me in the past but the TA at amex who booked my reservation had no idea about any sales rep.

Last edited by mia; Jan 13, 2010 at 7:17 pm Reason: Retitled after move from Luxury Hotels forum
Old Jan 13, 2010, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

have the virtuoso agent book through FHR (for 2nd or 3rd nt free presumably? and late checkout. not sure how amenities differ.) then they can get in touch with their MO contact.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Rates went up significantly...
Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:07 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the AMEX Forum.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:16 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
A few ideas:
  • The classic Flyertalk trick of hanging up and trying again. Hopefully you'll eventually get a good AmEx TA.
  • Contact the property yourself -- http://www.mandarinoriental.com/lasv...ontact_us.aspx
  • If you have a good relationship with your Virtuoso TA, ask if they'll contact the property on your behalf even though they didn't make the reservation.

Of course, at the end of the day, a request for an instant upgrade is never a sure thing. Good luck.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 9:54 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by precision80
My Virtuoso agent has a Mandarin rep that was able to confirm UG's for me in the past but the TA at amex who booked my reservation had no idea about any sales rep.
Something to be said for loyalty imho..... good luck OP
Old Jan 14, 2010, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ABG
Something to be said for loyalty imho..... good luck OP
I agree but when the cost is much higher loyalty only goes so far.

Marshking, I actually asked my virtuoso agent To do exactly that and she was not able to help me unless I booked through her. Also, the hotel is in HK not Vegas. I have the contact info listed online, does anyone have any direct email addresses at that prop?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 9:35 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
Marshking, I actually asked my virtuoso agent To do exactly that and she was not able to help me unless I booked through her. Also, the hotel is in HK not Vegas. I have the contact info listed online, does anyone have any direct email addresses at that prop?
Whoops -- my mistake. I must have just finished reading the review thread in the Luxury forum on the new Vegas property. Top of mind, I guess.

Here are some e-mail addresses for the HK property: http://www.mandarinoriental.com/hong...ontact_us.aspx
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've been very pleased by some of the AmEx PTS agents who want to do "relationship" work. When you reach someone that impresses you favorably, ask for their extension and hours and if they'd like to continue to work with you. Some will react by initiating a general discussion about your preferences and make sure that all frequent traveler numbers are in the file. To be fair, once you establish such a relationship, you should normally try to give that agent all of your business except in an emergency at a time when they aren't available. Hence it's important that their hours be compatible with yours and your time zones for home and typical travel.

Alternatively, talk with a supervisor and ask them to recommend someone who would work well with your hours and travel patterns.

The bad news is that a lot of the best PTS agents keep moving to supervisor/management positions or Centurion and some of the new hires seem like ordinary inexperienced new travel agents who are too lazy to do anything above and beyond, even if they did know what to do.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've been very pleased by some of the AmEx PTS agents who want to do "relationship" work. When you reach someone that impresses you favorably, ask for their extension and hours and if they'd like to continue to work with you. Some will react by initiating a general discussion about your preferences and make sure that all frequent traveler numbers are in the file. To be fair, once you establish such a relationship, you should normally try to give that agent all of your business except in an emergency at a time when they aren't available. Hence it's important that their hours be compatible with yours and your time zones for home and typical travel.

Alternatively, talk with a supervisor and ask them to recommend someone who would work well with your hours and travel patterns.

The bad news is that a lot of the best PTS agents keep moving to supervisor/management positions or Centurion and some of the new hires seem like ordinary inexperienced new travel agents who are too lazy to do anything above and beyond, even if they did know what to do.
MSP, do you have a specific agent you could recommend to me?

Last edited by precision80; Jan 14, 2010 at 1:58 pm
Old Jan 14, 2010, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
MS, do you have a specific agent you could reccomend to me?
You've got mail (PM).

MSP (airport code) economist, but I don't work for the airport

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.