Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer Membership Rewards to American Airlines?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2015, 1:46 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"I'm surprised your AA fees are only $5.60?"

There are no international departure taxes when departing the U.S. on a "free" award ticket (i.e., one with no sucharges). And there are no U.K. taxes for arriving LHR. So whether you redeem AA miles for JFK-BOS or JFK-LHR, you'll only pay $5.60, as long as you're on AA metal.
Ah, I see you are correct, and same is true on DL and UA. I normally search for roundtrips to Europe, which typically returns a two-digit amount of fees (or three digits if going to London with APD) but I did not realize how much of the roundtrip fee comes from the return leg even in cases beyond the APD.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 7:12 am

Amex Platinum points - is there a way to transfer to American Air?

Hi! I have a gazillion amex platinum points and Delta miles and am trying to book flights with mileage on american airlines or Latam to go to Buenos Aires. Is there any way to transfer these points to use on american or Latam?
Old Jun 11, 2016, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by julelev
Hi! I have a gazillion amex platinum points and Delta miles and am trying to book flights with mileage on american airlines or Latam to go to Buenos Aires. Is there any way to transfer these points to use on american or Latam?
You didn't mention whether you're planning to fly in coach or business class.

You can transfer to BA Avios, though they will require a lot of points for business class (they're more reasonable for coach class).

Delta has a SkyTeam partner in Aerolineas Argentinas which is based in Buenos Aires, so that's another option.

(And, for completeness, Star Alliance can get you to Buenos Aires too.)

While oneworld, through the combination of AA + LATAM, has the most coverage of South America from the USA, for the very major cities including Buenos Aires, there are airlines in each of the three alliances that can get you there.

Here is the list of Amex USA airline transfer partners:
And here is the main thread on transferring from Amex Membership Rewards to airline partners:
Here is a site that will let you see how many miles / points each program needs for a particular route:
And here is a site which will let you check availability on any of three alliances:
www.awardnexus.com (click "more signup options" under the green Purchase button to sign up for free using your FlyerTalk account)

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 11, 2016 at 8:39 am
Old Jun 11, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus; Southwest; American Airlines
You also have the options of Membership Rewards Pay with Points - a good option if you have a gazillion MR points and booking the right flight at the right day and time is your priority. Once you log into your account, selection the menu icon on the top left, then select american express travel, and search for flights. You will be given the option to pay for your airfare with points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.