Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Zync from AMEX

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:46 pm

But some Packs (like ECO) are free and you get 2x points at Whole Foods...
Old Jan 8, 2010, 5:51 pm

For the Zync card social pack, anyone have any idea how they determine a qualifying "event"? By the merchant code? I like to go to lots of pro sporting events, and I usually get my tickets on ticketmaster/stubhub/internet ticket brokers. Wonder if this qualifies as an "event"? The T&C only seems to mention concert, movie, and show tickets, but I think sporting events are just as social and tickets are acquired through a lot of the same merchants.
Old May 2, 2010, 9:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Zync has now been added to the main American Express website:

http://www201.americanexpress.com/getthecard/home Click [View All Cards]

Note that several more "packs" are now offered. Also note that packs which offer double points are now capped at 5,000 bonus points each per year. The base annual fee is $25. If one were to add all of the packs the total cost would be $155. Remember that this card participates in Membership Rewards Express, and the points cannot be transferred to any airline or hotel program unless you also hold a card enrolled in full Membership Rewards. One strategy to maximize points would be to combine this card with Premier Rewards Gold, and omit (at least) the Go pack and the Food & Wine pack.

• Go pack: $20 Earn Double Membership Rewards points on the first $5,000 of eligible airline ticket purchases each year,
  • Connect pack: $20 Earn Double Membership Rewards points on the first $5,000 of eligible purchases of cell phone and cable services, and broadband and internet access services from service providers each year
  • Social pack: $20 Earn Double Membership Rewards points on the first $5,000 of eligible purchases at restaurants, concerts, movies and show tickets each year,
  • Eco pack : Free Earn Double Membership Rewards points on the first $5,000 of eligible purchases at select green merchants rated by Greenopia® on greenopia.com/amex each year.
  • Personal Finance Pack: Free
  • Family Travel Pack: Free
  • Give back pack: Free
  • Food & wine pack: $20
  • Restaurant pack: $20 Earn Double Membership Rewards points on the first $5,000 of eligible purchases at restaurants each year,
  • Style pack: $25 Earn Double Membership Rewards points on the first $5,000 of purchases at department stores and select specialty stores
  • Music pack: $5 Earn Double Membership Rewards points on the first $5,000 of eligible concert ticket purchases at ticket agents such as Ticketmaster each year,

https://www212.americanexpress.com/d...00d0faad94RCRD

There appears to be some overlap between the Social and Music double points packs, but the packs include more than just the double point offers.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 3:42 am

Hey guys, I have a question:
What are the precise differences between a Gold Card and a ZYNC? I've received invitation letters to both of these, and the only concrete difference I know of at the moment is the price difference of $125 vs $25. Being a student, that's a pretty big deal. But I'm still interested in what exactly are the other differences. Can anyone help me out here?
Old Jun 1, 2010, 5:04 am

Programs: Amex Centurion; Visa Infinite; Hertz Gold; Hilton Diamond; SPG Gold; Kempinski Private Concierge;
Originally Posted by Veni_13
Hey guys, I have a question:
What are the precise differences between a Gold Card and a ZYNC? I've received invitation letters to both of these, and the only concrete difference I know of at the moment is the price difference of $125 vs $25. Being a student, that's a pretty big deal. But I'm still interested in what exactly are the other differences. Can anyone help me out here?
Anyway, If you are a Gold Card holder, the zync card will be Fees free, as long as you keep the Gold. And the first year fees of the gold is waves so, give a try to both card, it won't cost you a penny for the first year. And then make your choice, keeping the Gold with the Zync for free, or switch to the Zync Only.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 6:45 am
mia

Originally Posted by SuicidTheory
...If you are a Gold Card holder, the zync card will be Fees free,....
Where do you see this rule?
Old Jun 1, 2010, 6:53 am
mia

What are the precise differences between a Gold Card and a ZYNC?
Premier Rewards Gold participates in Membership Rewards and earns bonus points on purchases of airfare, groceries and gasoline.

Zync participates in Membership Rewards Express*. Express points cannot be transferred to airline or hotel programs. Zync does not earn bonus points unless you add packs which will increase the annual fee as explained in my post dated May 2, 2010.

*Points earned with a Zync (or Blue) card will be treated as standard Membership Rewards only if you also hold a Green, Gold, Platinum or Centurion card.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:20 am

Programs: Amex Centurion; Visa Infinite; Hertz Gold; Hilton Diamond; SPG Gold; Kempinski Private Concierge;
Originally Posted by mia
Where do you see this rule?
I did call them and they said that to me and I can say that I didn't have any fees putted into my account.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:37 am
mia

Originally Posted by SuicidTheory
I did call them ...
Centurion cardholders may be treated differently than Gold cardholders, and perhaps this was to compensate for the problems that you experienced obtaining the card? In any event, Zync is not of much value (for earning points) without the packs. Are they also waiving those fees, or only the $25 basic fee?
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by mia
Centurion cardholders may be treated differently than Gold cardholders, and perhaps this was to compensate for the problems that you experienced obtaining the card? In any event, Zync is not of much value (for earning points) without the packs. Are they also waiving those fees, or only the $25 basic fee?
Yes you're right , As Centurion cardholder I might have been treated differently and also because I really have trouble to get the card , but I haven't asked. They waived the 25 dollars annual fees only.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:46 am

That makes sense. So, I basically need to spend $5000 per year in a given category for its pack to be of any use in a Zync card, right?
What's the break even point with the Gold Card? ...i.e how extensively should it be used to be worth it?

Last edited by Veni_13; Jun 1, 2010 at 12:13 pm
Old Jun 1, 2010, 12:37 pm
mia

...need to spend $5000 per year in a given category for its pack to be of any use in a Zync card...
Welcome to Flyertalk.

No, it's the other way 'round. If you spend more than $5,000 in a category you will not earn bonus points on the excess.

To calculate the minimum spend in a category to justify the fee for the pack you need to assign the points a monetary value. If Zync would be your only American Express card these will be Membership Rewards Express points worth no more than $0.01 each. If you have a Green, Gold, Platinum or Centurion card enrolled in full Membership Rewards the valuation depends on how you redeem, but could be 2-to-2.5x higher.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to Flyertalk.
Thanks.

I've never had an AmEx card before (obviously), so I'm still not completely clear on how this works. A Membership Rewards Express point is about $0.01, right? And I get this one point for a purchase totalling how much?
But regardless, it seems like a good card to have no matter how valuable the Rewards program.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 4:19 am

Thanks.

I've never had an AmEx card before (obviously), so I'm still not completely clear on how this works. A Membership Rewards Express point is about $0.01, right? And I get this one point for a purchase totalling how much?
But regardless, it seems like a good card to have no matter how valuable the Rewards program.
American Express Membership Rewards is giving to you for each Dollar spent with your card
1$=>1pts, except if you have apply for a card that rewards differently for example the pack of the Zync card for some purchases 2pts for one dollar and then.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 2:24 pm

I have a Zync card

They instituted the 5k bonus point max after I signed up, so I will probably be dumping the Zync and just getting the Fidelity 2% Cashback Amex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.