Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Find card benefits and updated information for every AMEX card issued in the USA here: http://www.americanexpress.com/us/co...-benefits.html

https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/credit-cards/credit-intel/purchase-protection/

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/features-benefits/policies/purchase-protection-terms.html

Print Wikipost

American Express Purchase Protection

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2007, 9:56 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by GPSFlyer

Back on topic - are you all saying amex will refund your money even if you are at fault for ruining something through your own negligence or accident, or just being forgetful and losing your camera and sunglasses ? Sounds too good to be true. How many times I've lost my cell-phone I cant count them.
Yup...for all cards the benefit covers damage (accidental incuded) and theft
. For plat/cent it also includes loss. THey actually advertise the accidental damage in their tv ads, like spilling coffee on a new shirt and they will credit your account. I have an open claim at the moment for a shirt with grease stains that the dry cleaner couldn't remove. I'm expecting either a quick approval or a request for me to mail the shirt to them.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 3:07 am

Nothing but good things first hand and what I have heard a class outfit.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 12:55 pm

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by AaRdVarK
Most cards will not cover loss (Platinum and Centurion being the exceptions). There are two levels of Purchase Protection. Within 90 days, pretty much anything that happens to the item is covered. I've had a dog eat my brand new $800 GPS, and they cut me a check when all I did was fax in a receipt and mail in pictures of the mangled GPS. I've also had my dog eat a couple pairs of new shoes, and I received credit for them with no issue. Quite frankly, the benefit is incredible.

The other level is doubling the manufacturer warranty up to one year. That is called something else, and AMEX is also excellent about that benefit. I had a DirecTV HD-TiVo go belly up about 18-19 months in. I called DirecTV, and they said the only option was replacement. I called AMEX, they called DirecTV to confirm, and I soon received a check for $500 to get the receiver replaced.

These two benefits keep me buying my large ticket items on my AMEX Platinum.
As long as you have the dog(s), it certainly pays for you to use the AmEx card.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 12:44 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
I've used it way too many times. (That and Premium Baggage).

3 cell phones (washer, washer, stolen), a digital camera (ocean), a digital photo frame (hammer), and I'm sure that there have been others as well. As a CENT they paid for the stolen phone after 6 months! ^

Oh, forgot my nano (was outside a year and Apple's a pain in the ...)!

Last edited by stevenshev; Jul 11, 2007 at 12:45 pm Reason: one more
Old Jul 11, 2007, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by stevenshev

3 cell phones (washer, washer, stolen), a digital camera (ocean), a digital photo frame (hammer), and I'm sure that there have been others as well. As a CENT they paid for the stolen phone after 6 months! ^

Hammer???? That's awesome!
Old Jul 12, 2007, 9:07 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by aviators99
Hammer???? That's awesome!
I have a series of photos taken by a hysterical friend...on the day I bought it. Long story.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 9:51 am

I have a series of photos taken by a hysterical friend...on the day I bought it. Long story.
In my opinion, they would be worth posting.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 8:06 pm

In my opinion, they would be worth posting.
I went out and bought a brand new gas powered remote control monster truck lol

I thought it was the badest thing going 55MPH in a remote control truck... I live on 2 acres of land fun as hell...

So im tuning this baby up 2 days after I get it and the good ole school bus is passing by so i pull it into the driveway until it passes...

SMASH!!!! the throttle was not tuned right yet so it jumped about 30 feet in the street under the bus destroyed ofcourse made the bus jump in the air!

I didnt know my platinum card warrantied the item until a freind told me 2 days later and sure enough they refunded me $800

I have pics to lol

Thats why I stilck with AMEX honestly
Old Jul 12, 2007, 8:12 pm

Post the pics!
Old Jul 13, 2007, 9:08 am

Programs: SkyMiles, Aeroplan, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Membership Rewards
I, too had an ocean incident with a digital camera... A 5-day-old Canon SLR digital camera. That was my second time filing a claim with Amex and was approved. Between the lense and camera it was nearly $3,000.

The coverage is the main reason I have the card, and that cheque alone takes care of years of wondering 'was the fee worth it!'

Old Jul 13, 2007, 9:26 am

Programs: SkyMiles, Aeroplan, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Membership Rewards
platinumPizza, you are very lucky for getting that claim approved. The first time I initiated a Purchase Protection claim, it was denied. I was installing a BelTronics radar detector, and the mount came off my windshield, the unit slid down my dashboard, and fell onto my garage floor through my open car door damaging the front display. I thought, not a big deal it's only a $300 item, and accidentally damaged.

Amex said if it has anything to do with an engine/motorized vehicle, or attaching to anything with an engine/vehicle it does not qualify. I was disappointed to say the least. After reading the T&Cs I know more now about the limitations, and am very pleased with how they handled my lost-in-the-ocean digital camera. I only wish they mentioned the program's limitations in the card's welcome booklet instead of making it seem like 'your card is there for any occurence.'

Originally Posted by platinumPizza
I went out and bought a brand new gas powered remote control monster truck lol

I thought it was the badest thing going 55MPH in a remote control truck... I live on 2 acres of land fun as hell...

So im tuning this baby up 2 days after I get it and the good ole school bus is passing by so i pull it into the driveway until it passes...

SMASH!!!! the throttle was not tuned right yet so it jumped about 30 feet in the street under the bus destroyed ofcourse made the bus jump in the air!

I didnt know my platinum card warrantied the item until a freind told me 2 days later and sure enough they refunded me $800

I have pics to lol

Thats why I stilck with AMEX honestly
Old Jul 13, 2007, 10:16 am

Yes, for any of the credit card purchase protection features it will always act as secondary to your existing insurance. Anything having to do with your car is meant to be covered by your auto insurance.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 10:21 am

Yes, for any of the credit card purchase protection features it will always act as secondary to your existing insurance. Anything having to do with your car is meant to be covered by your auto insurance.
Actually, AMEX is a primary coverage. They have changed it over a year ago, however they do have many exclusions and auto is one of them
Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:13 am

Here is a link to a benefits T&C: https://www.onlineclaim.americanexpr...e&productId=06
Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Actually, AMEX is a primary coverage. They have changed it over a year ago, however they do have many exclusions and auto is one of them
Ah, interesting. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.