Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Find card benefits and updated information for every AMEX card issued in the USA here: http://www.americanexpress.com/us/co...-benefits.html

https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/credit-cards/credit-intel/purchase-protection/

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/features-benefits/policies/purchase-protection-terms.html

Print Wikipost

American Express Purchase Protection

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA Exp, SPG Plat 100
Did they make you purchase a replacement?
Old Dec 9, 2009, 6:12 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
Didn't make me purchase a replacement. Just credited my account for the total cost of the camera, and I am done with that.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by andrewpartyman
Didn't make me purchase a replacement. Just credited my account for the total cost of the camera, and I am done with that.
Originally Posted by andrewpartyman
To me, American Express' campaign is highly misleading.
So even with a "highly misleading" ad campaign, there appears to be good customer service. Perhaps an additional 24 hours of patience would have changed your original view?

Glad to know it worked out for you in the end.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 1:28 pm

Purchase Protection Denied

Hi All,

I had my computer bag in San Francisco with me yesterday. I was at a coffee shop finishing some paperwork while my Laptop was charging. I used the restroom and came back and my laptop bag, along with my iPod and Camera were all gone. Amex says they do not cover this. I was sitting at my table working alone, but a colleague of mine was sitting at another table in the coffee shop and said he would keep an eye on my laptop. I didn't bring it up to Amex because I didn't think it was a big deal, but I guess it is. I always thought Amex was good about this sort of thing.

I called the police dept and they filled out a police report for me, there were a few people in the coffee shop but none of them saw who took the bag.

I called Amex today and they denied my claim, she didn't even take the whole claim stating that it's not included as part of the claim because it was left unattended in a public place. That seems totally absurd to me. I could have claimed it as a lost item if I wanted to commit fraud, but I was being honest with them (Platinum Cardmember).

I called a friend of mine to ask her of her past experience and she says she had her purse taken in a bar while she was dancing and Amex gave her the credit for her iPhone which was stolen out of it. She's only a gold cardmember. She said she's gonna email me the paperwork.

What do you guys think I should do? Is there anyway for me to fight this with Amex? I have always had good experiences with them, but this makes me wonder why I pay $500 a year.

Thanks!
Rez

P.S. The worst part is that the lady didn't even finish listening to what happened. She just wanted to document the items so that I could not file a claim for them later.

Last edited by rezrez12; Dec 11, 2009 at 1:38 pm Reason: Added Info
Old Dec 11, 2009, 1:36 pm

I believe AMEX is right - if you read the policy it states that intentionally leaving items unattended (especially in a high traffic place!) will not be covered under the policy, so I would not expect any sort of reimbursement from AMEX. However, it wouldn't hurt to appeal the decision and see if you can get even a partial recovery.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 1:37 pm

The place to start would be reviewing the terms and conditions applicable to AE's purchase protection program. You should be able to obtain those on-line and you can determine if there is any exclusion applicable to your situation.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 1:48 pm

Here is what it says on their website:

items not reasonably safeguarded by you (for example, unlocked or unattended items stolen from public
facilities will not be covered);

The fact that the coffee shop only had a few people in it and that one of them was a colleague of mine should count as reasonably safeguarded. Right?

Also, just to update. My friend sent me her claim that was approved in Aug, 2009. It states that her iPhone was stolen from her purse at a table. That's all. She told me she was up and about and someone had stolen her whole purse, Amex had no problem with that and gave her the credit for the phone.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is it only for purchases after two months? Ironically, I just lost my iphone five weeks after purchasing it, but bought it with a Visa. Any idea if they have a similar purchase protection program?
Old Dec 18, 2009, 9:28 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
... Visa. Any idea if they have a similar purchase protection program?
VISA Signature benefit described here. If you used a different grade (e.g. VISA Platinum) it probably depends on the issuer's policies.

http://usa.visa.com/personal/visa-si...e-security.jsp
Old Dec 18, 2009, 10:22 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by rezrez12
The fact that the coffee shop only had a few people in it and that one of them was a colleague of mine should count as reasonably safeguarded. Right?
Nope. I amazed at the number of folks who think their stuff is somehow safe in a cafe. I like to go to cafes--the folks at my favorite recently told me they had seen a guy walk in, grab a laptop off a table, run out and jump in a waiting car while the owner was in the restroom. No one knew what was happening 'til it was over. Another time, someone left their expensive French sunglasses on a table to hold it while they went to get their coffee, when the came back a minute later, glasses gone.

Your hope is that Amex will make an exception for you. Perhaps you can get a statement from your co-worker about how they were watching the computer from the adjoining table when they saw someone grab it and run out? If that's what happened.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by rezrez12
Here is what it says on their website:

items not reasonably safeguarded by you (for example, unlocked or unattended items stolen from public
facilities will not be covered);

I would disagree. If it was "reasonably safeguarded" by your colleague, the bag would not have been stolen. It was "unattended" when stolen.

Last edited by WBOTM; Dec 18, 2009 at 2:45 pm
Old Dec 18, 2009, 1:48 pm

I've used Purchase Protection two or three times over the last ten years (including once in the last month). All times things went as expected and full reimbursement was provided- really made me glad to have the card.

You're dealing with an insurance company so you will have to follow their rules and procedures completely.

Rezrez12, this type of crime is very widespread in San Francisco and the police are apathetic about it. I do hope the new police chief continues to clean things up, but at the moment San Francisco is ridiculous on the petty crime front. Even if they have pictures and video footage they will not pursue these types of theft. Sorry for your loss but do be careful in any major city.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 1:50 pm

Programs: It's better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all
I can't see why Amex should pay out for this. You took your eyes off the goods for a couple of minutes, leaving highly re-sellable items in plain view for anyone to walk off with. Insurance doesn't abdicate your responsibility to keep valuables safe.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
There is a choice for the item to be lost in the drop-down menu. Since my iphone is lost and could also have been stolen, what are my best chances to get a sympathetic ear from them? I filled out the online claim and then it said I had to call in since the claim could not be processed for some reason.

My best bet, I think, is to say it was lost not stolen so I dont have to provide a police report.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777

My best bet, I think, is to say it was lost not stolen so I dont have to provide a police report.
Do you have any proof or any suspicion that it was stolen? If yes, do file it like stolen. Otherwise, it was lost and should be files as such.

I was reimbursed in the past for the item I have lost in a subway that I just purchased and no police report was required

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.