Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Vs Citi TYP

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2009, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Gold Vs Citi TYP

I have the AmEx charge card with $140 annual fee (waived for the first yr) and also Citi AmEx with TYP ($70 or $90 annual fee but waived for the first 2 yrs).

Citi has bonus TYP points - currently any purchase get min 3 TYP points for the 2 yrs. Gro, Gas etc gets 5 TYP points. Gold prob gives 2 pts for Groc for limited time.

Which rewards more valuable? I know TYP are like 1c/1pt - how about Gold rewards?

I have 10k on TYP - I am wondering if this is a good time to switch to the Gold card?

If after the 1st yr promo, if I cancel the Gold card, will they let me keep the points - or should I transfer them to United mileage or something else before closing?

What are some good use for Gold pts - they gave me 50k bonus pts.

Thanks
Old Nov 5, 2009, 12:52 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Depends on two things really... how you use the points, and the future changes that TYP or Amex make to their respective programs.

For me, between the two, MR is more valuable for two reasons. First, I get much better value by transferring to airlines. Second, I pretty much only use my MR card for other benefits - typically the various insurance things - extended warranty, etc, or to take advantage of the current double points (groceries, gas) promo. Also, it's the only option for using a corporate card. TYP *used* to have nice flight options, but they got taken away. There are quite a few former TYP features ... if you catch my drive. So, I find that holding on to TYP is futile, spending them before enough have accumulated is not fruitful.

Now a bit OT... if I don't need the extra insurance options that the Platinum card affords, and there aren't double points, and it's not on a corporate card, and they take Amex, I use my SPG Amex. That's the best value IMHO.

Actually, at this point I accumulate TYP simply because I have a Citi account. The Citi CC I have is cash rewards, and I pretty much only use it when places don't take Amex. I'd reconsider, but if and only if they increased the redemtion options (i.e., put back what they took away) and guaranteed to keep the program undiluted for at least the next 3 to 5 years.

Not to say that SPG or MR won't change, but historically, those changes haven't been as fundamental and drastic. In other words, I just don't trust TYP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.