Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
HELP DESK: AAdvantage Elite Status Challenge (Gold and Platinum)
Challenges may no longer be enrolled in as of 6 Oct; hard end date 23 Dec 2015 -
but some reporting success 6 Oct backdating to 23 Sep by supervisors

This is the archived thread about the now defunct AAdvantage elite Gold and Platinum status challenge. The current thread can be read here.

NOTE: Challenges were closed off September 23 2015, at least for the remainder of 2015 - some have succeeded in enrolling and backdating to 23 Sep.

It is possible a new, remodeled challenge will be announced in or for 2016. That discussion is here: Original Gold / Platinum Challenge Ended 23 Sep '15. New program to come?

This thread is now dedicated to requests for assistance and responses to clarify challenge requirements for those members currently engaged in challenges and related issues. To discuss the potential and form of any future challenge, please use the link provided above.

NOTE: The rules for the Challenge at the time of closure are preserved below. The date by which the last person would have completed this challenge would be 23 December 2015.
Gold and Platinum challenges (there is usually no EXP challenge) can be flown to gain a "short cut" to status. To earn status you must register (and pay a fee $100-$140 for Gold, $200-240 for Platinum*) and fly to earn 5,000 or 10,000 elite-qualifying base Points (not miles) in a three month period, using American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights* and miles must be credited to AAdvantage.

Note: The four AA segment minimum required for regular status qualification does not apply to completing the challenge.

Class of service, status or other bonus miles are redeemable miles and thus do not count for the challenge. Class of service is the reigning factor in calculating the points earned per mile flown: the base points per mile charts for the various fare buckets on qualifying airlines are here.

Note: The "Reach elite status faster" promotion awarding 2 or even 3 EQ Points per mile for flying premium fares through 2015 does not apply to the challenge; challenge flyers will only have a maximum of 1.5 base EQP per base EQ Mile considered for challenge-earned status. The extra points are considered bonus points and are only applicable for earning "normal", non-challenge status.

Though one earned status bonus miles on the qualifying flight at one time, that is no longer possible. Status bonus miles will accrue on the next eligible flight after your status qualifying flight.

Also see (FT) Help Understanding Status, Points / Miles & Segments: EQM vs EQP (merged thread) for further assistance with the miles-EQMiles-points issue.

For miles calculations, many use the Great Circle Mapper tool

*for Platinum, Jan-Jun $200, Jul - Dec $240 - presumably for the max nine months of status vs. the max of 20 months $240 of status. Occasionally, there are "sales" reductions; they seem to be about 10%.

Challenges begun before June 16 of a given year earn status for the remainder of that year and the first two months of the following year (8-14 months total); challenges begun on or after June 16 grant status for the remainder of that year, the following year, and the first two months of the year after (14-20 months total). Challenges can begin anytime (not previously the case) and can even be backdated up to two weeks as far as we know (as of Nov 2013).

To sign up for a challenge, call AAdvantage Customer Service at +1-800-882-8880.

Link to cyclingpilot post about being granted a back-dated challenge (2 weeks)

You cannot use a challenge to requalify for status. There is no longer a "soft landing" to the next lower level of status. The flight on which the challenge is completed no longer earns the redeemable miles bonus for the new status level.

Some have been granted Gold status whilst flying a Platinum challenge, particularly those with current elite status (any level) on an airline of a competing alliance, but this is not a given.

Based on multiple reports from FT members, as of mid-2015 AA is only allowing one status challenge over a five year period.

August 2014 e-mail received by a Challenger, shared by ashill:

Thank you for registering for an AAdvantage® challenge.

To enjoy AAdvantage PLATINUM status through February 2016, please earn 10,000 elite qualifying points between now and [redacted]. Qualifying flights on American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights count toward your challenge.

Since the number of elite qualifying points you earn is based on the fare you purchase and the miles you earn, you can view these details for each airline:We wish you every success in attaining the elite status level you desire.

Sincerely,

Janet L F[redacted]
Director
AAdvantage Customer Service
Older posts have been archived (in many cases they contain obsolete information): Archive: Help Desk: AAdvantage Gold, Platinum Elite Status Challenge
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:37 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
I have a question about the "three-month period". My DW is flying 7,460 EQP starting 9/24 and ending 12/26. What exactly is 3 months? Looking for PLT status-she's already GLD. Plan B is to start 12/18. We'll be flying 12K EQP worth between 12/18 and 1/24. Only difference is it would be nice to have the January trip earning PLT bonus instead of GLD since we're burning our miles next year.

Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: searching!
AA - Optimal time to go for Platinum Challenge.

Hi all,

Hoping this is an appropriate place for this. I have some trips coming up next year and am hoping to gain Platinum. I am planning to go for the Platinum Challenge and shouldn't have too much of a problem with the requirements, but I was curious as to when is a good time to obtain the status with the Feb reset. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
See this thread.

Basically, any future challenges from now will give status until Feb '17. Traditionally, after July, challenges become extended to give status that lasts ~1.5 years until reset. This occurred this year, but no one knows if the same thing will happen again next year given the merger.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 11, 2015 at 11:43 pm Reason: Deleted recurring link
Old Aug 11, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA,BA
Originally Posted by iplaybass
I have a question about the "three-month period". My DW is flying 7,460 EQP starting 9/24 and ending 12/26. What exactly is 3 months? Looking for PLT status-she's already GLD. Plan B is to start 12/18. We'll be flying 12K EQP worth between 12/18 and 1/24. Only difference is it would be nice to have the January trip earning PLT bonus instead of GLD since we're burning our miles next year.

Thanks!
3 months is 24Sept through 24Dec. And before you ask, no, they probably will not make the exception for the 2 days as an exception is already being made by allowing you a short-cut to mid-tier status. 2,600 EQP is not hard at all, so a quick MR will do! Good luck.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:38 am

Programs: QF, LM, USDM, AA
Hey, I'm about to book a return flight on AA out of HKG-DFW-LAX//NYC-DFW-HKG, which when combined with another flight on AA in the US should provide the 10k points for the AA Plat challenge....

The flight out of HKG also comes up with some AA codeshares on CX via Tokyo and then AA to LAX etc, should I avoid these as even though AA codeshares, does it have to be AA metal for the Plat challenge??

Edit: Ok reading the wiki it seems like eligible codeshares on other airline's metals qualify??
Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:05 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by casanovawa
Ok reading the wiki it seems like eligible codeshares on other airline's metals qualify??
Yes. AA codeshares count for the challenge
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: AA Gold
Need to book and pay for flights on AA for Plat challenge?

Do you need to book and pay for flights on AA.com or can you book and pay on BA.com? TIA
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by luvthesun
Do you need to book and pay for flights on AA.com or can you book and pay on BA.com? TIA
There is no requirement for tickets to be issued by AA
So yes - you can book and pay on ba.com
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Gold
Good to know thx
Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
A quick question: if I pass the challenge and before year end I earned more than 50k EQP will I have PLT status kept until the end of 2016 or 2017?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
A quick question: if I pass the challenge and before year end I earned more than 50k EQP will I have PLT status kept until the end of 2016 or 2017?
If you complete a challenge started between June 16 and Dec 31, year X, the status earned will be valid until Feb 28/29, X+2. So if you started your challenge after June 16, 2015, you earn Platinum status through Feb 28, 2017. If you earn 50k EQPs in 2015, you earn also Platinum status through Feb 28, 2017.

Status earned through the challenge does not stack with status earned the regular way, so your status will only be valid through Feb 2017 even if you both complete the challenge and earn 50k EQPs, if that's what you're asking.

No elite-qualifying miles, points, or segments earned before January 1, 2016 will count towards 2017 status (valid through Feb 2018) by any status-earning method.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:36 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Rules to start a challenge

Called customer service yesterday to start a challenge but I got a njet on my request. As I always thought that a challenge was not a once in a lifetime things (opposed to a status mapping) I was surprised by this response. Certainly as I qualified for gold the regular way in 2013.

The reason for which I could not start the challenge was the 'number of exceptions' they made in the past. Exceptions being challenges as well. I indeed did a Gold challenge in 2009 and received instant gold status again in 2012 when I started a platinum challenge for my honeymoon.

Now I wonder.
Is this something the customer representative made up? Are these maybe new rules?
Is this maybe a situation of call back and try again?

Last edited by kcaluwae; Aug 13, 2015 at 10:12 am
Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Not a question but a data point which I hope is some use. Called the number and asked about status challenge. I have been accepted. I am DL DM and when I was told you have to fly 10000 EQpoints in 3 months I burst out laughing and said "Is that all - that is ridiculously easy". Anyway, the agent said welcome on board and glad to have you.
I already signed up for an AAdvantage CC and charged the 240$ fee to that. The letter is here.

Dear GRALISTAIR,

AAdvantage® Number: XXXXXXX

To enjoy AAdvantage PLATINUM status through February 2017, please earn 10,000 elite qualifying points between now and 11/23/2015. Qualifying flights on American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights count toward your challenge.

Since the number of elite qualifying points you earn is based on the fare you purchase and the miles you earn, you can view these details for each airline: •American Airlines
•British Airways
•Finnair
•Iberia
•Japan Airlines
•Qantas
•US Airways
We wish you every success in attaining the elite status level you desire.

Sincerely,

Janet L Ferguson
Director AAdvantage Customer Service

I will have 9000 in the next 10 days. I am hoping to earn within a month or less. Do not understand why they did not let me challenge to Exec Plat - which would still have been easy.

NO STATUS IN THE MEANTIME.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Not a question but a data point which I hope is some use. Called the number and asked about status challenge. I have been accepted. I am DL DM and when I was told you have to fly 10000 EQpoints in 3 months I burst out laughing and said "Is that all - that is ridiculously easy". Anyway, the agent said welcome on board and glad to have you.
I already signed up for an AAdvantage CC and charged the 240$ fee to that. The letter is here.

Dear GRALISTAIR,

AAdvantage® Number: XXXXXXX

To enjoy AAdvantage PLATINUM status through February 2017, please earn 10,000 elite qualifying points between now and 11/23/2015. Qualifying flights on American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights count toward your challenge.

Since the number of elite qualifying points you earn is based on the fare you purchase and the miles you earn, you can view these details for each airline: •American Airlines
•British Airways
•Finnair
•Iberia
•Japan Airlines
•Qantas
•US Airways
We wish you every success in attaining the elite status level you desire.

Sincerely,

Janet L Ferguson
Director AAdvantage Customer Service

I will have 9000 in the next 10 days. I am hoping to earn within a month or less. Do not understand why they did not let me challenge to Exec Plat - which would still have been easy.

NO STATUS IN THE MEANTIME.
They did not let you challenge to Executive Platinum because there is no Executive Platinum Challenge, other than the occasional one targeted at certain flyers (UA status holders were the recent ones).

It is easy; but you must qualify by normal means in the future, and the challenge can not be repeated soon (five years is too soon for me, but that seems to be the current time period). I'm kind of surprised you didn't get Gold immediately; did you ask?

Thanks for reproducing the letter; it shows nothing has changed from what is quoted in the wiki.

And I'm sure you know: 10,000 E Q Points can require as few as 6,667 or as many as 20,000 E Q Miles.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by JDiver
I'm kind of surprised you didn't get Gold immediately; did you ask?

To be truthful - no I did not.

And I'm sure you know: 10,000 E Q Points can require as few as 6,667 or as many as 20,000 E Q Miles.
Which is fair - a bit like DL - paid F or BE or Y etc should get more then El cheapo economy fares. The agent did remind me and also said "as I am sure you know"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.