Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KenTarmac
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

This is a quick and updated (periodically, by members) summary of post 1 that will be visible at the top of all pages of this thread.

Check-in times Link

In most locations, you must be checked in:

At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States

At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights to or from airports outside of the United States
CLT airport website: https://www.cltairport.com/

Link to older archived posts.

American operates flights out of concourses (sometimes) A and (always) B, C, D and E.

Ticket counters
Main Terminal - Daily: 3:30 a.m. - 10:30 p.m.

Concourses:
  • Concourse A is used by mostly other airlines (Air Canada, Delta, Frontier, JetBlue, Southwest, United, Via) but American uses Concourse A for some flights
  • Concourse B is usually used for flights to the West
  • Concourse C is usually used for East coast flights. Republic operated flights fly out of C as well.
  • Concourse D (The International Concourse) Most transatlantic flights out of CLT are at the far end of concourse D (Lufthansa and Volaris included)
  • D4 (A and B) are also express gates (Piedmont operated flights.)
  • Concourse E is the American Eagle concourse (Regional flights – RJs)
Maps
From Airport Website

CLT / Charlotte Douglas International Airport map

CLT / Charlotte Douglas International Airport map

Getting from Concourse to Concourse

There is no need to leave the secure area to move from one concourse to another. *Exceptions are arriving international flights. In such case one has to clear immigration and customs, reclaim bags and proceed through security. [Obviously not applicable for those pre-cleared at selected overseas locations such as DUB] Keep in mind that if you purchased any liquids on the plane (duty free) you will have to follow the 3-1-1 rule and even check the bottles!

There are several moving walkways at the airport. At the least, there is a moving walkway at the beginning of each concourse, sometimes there are several (concourses A and E).

Other moving walkways include:
  • Across the atrium between concourses A, B and C.
  • Between the security checkpoint C exit and concourses D and E.
Note: One does have to take stairs/escalator or elevator to get to concourse E as it is on ground level.

Security at CLT
Security wait times can vary widely both by time/day. Monday mornings can have long lines. Checkpoints A and B are often the most crowded. When this is the case it's worth the walk to checkpoints C through E to avoid the long lines.
Since all the checkpoints share access to the secure area it really doesn't matter which one you use, they will all get you access to all gates.
Below is a break down of where the TSA precheck lanes are and where the checkpoints drop you off within the airport.
  • A Checkpoint: Standard 4 a.m. – 8:15 p.m.
  • B Checkpoint: Standard, Main Pre✓ ® 4 a.m. – 8:15 p.m.
  • C Checkpoint: Standard, Flex Lanes 5 a.m. – 9:15 p.m.
  • C Checkpoint: Employee 4 a.m. - 10:15 p.m.
  • D Checkpoint: Main Pre✓ ®, Preferred 6 a.m. – 10:15 p.m.
  • E Checkpoint: Standard 4:30 a.m. – 10:45 p.m.
Reasonable and Minimum connection times in CLT
Most of the time CLT is really good in terms of on-time performance. However summer thunderstorms can drastically affect your travel experience.
  • Domestic Connections: MCT is 40 minutes. A minimum 1 hour scheduled connection time should be sufficient for domestic connections.
  • According to ExpertFlyer, the current MCT for American Airlines International-Domestic are:
AA-AA ID .50 AUA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 BDA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 COUNTRY BS - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.00 COUNTRY CA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 COUNTRY IE - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.15 REGION EUR - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.00
  • MCT for anything involving international flights is 90 minutes; that will work for domestic to international, but:
  • I'm a non-US passport holder connecting in CLT from an international to a domestic flight. How long of a layover should I schedule?
    A: MCT is 90 minutes, but you should schedule a minimum of 2 hours to be safe to accommodate CBP, claiming your bags and then rechecking. (ie: LHR-CLT-PHX)
Parking at CLT
--Parking info can be found at this link.
*Security Note: If you park using curbside valet your car will be searched.

Cell Phone Lot: Park for free while waiting for arriving flights at CLT’s Cell Phone Lot. All drivers are required to remain with their vehicles. Parking is provided on a first come, first served basis as space is available.

Rental Cars
Rental cars are in the parking deck directly across from the terminal. Follow the signs to the deck and take the escalator or elevator to the second level where you'll find the rental car counters. You no longer have to take a shuttle to the rental cars.
--More info on Rental Cars

Public Transportation
CATS offers service from CLT:
  • Route 5 Sprinter Airport Express - To Center City (Uptown)

Visit the CATS Website for more details and schedules.

Where to eat in the airport
--Good map of CLT Dining

CLT Lounges
  • American Airlines has two Admirals Clubs in CLT: A larger one between concourses C and D and smaller newly renovated one in concourse B.
  • AMEX is adding a new Centurion lounge, at CLT. It will be located after security at the intersection of Concourses D and E, on the top floor of a new airport expansion. Opening Monday, February 24, 2020
  • The Club CLT. Priority Pass lounge located in the A gate connector.
Currency Exchange
There are two Currency Exchange locations in CLT, both operated by Travelex:
  • One location in the center court atrium inside the secured area (airside). This location is open from 7 AM to 10 PM seven days a week.
  • A second currency exchange location has been added at the entrance to the D concourse in front of gates D1 and D2. This location is open from 6:30 AM to 10 PM seven days a week.

How quick is baggage claim in CLT?
  • Baggage claim returns in CLT tend to run a little longer than most airports. Expect a wait time of 20 to 25 minutes on average after deplaning. Depending on workload baggage returns can run upwards of 30 to 45 minutes.
  • Baggage returns for flights arriving on the E concourse and the A Concourse extension can take up to 45 minutes.
Is there a Chapel/Prayer Space? Wireless in CLT
CLT offers free Wi-Fi around the airport. The Admirals Club provides free access for club members through AT&T.

Do I have time to go into Charlotte?
You could take a cab or the city bus (see post Public Transportation above for info). I would venture to town only if there is more than 3 hours to kill and there is nothing you can do at the airport.
Lyft and Uber can both pick up at the airport.

Where can I smoke at the airport?
  • Charlotte Douglas International is a smoke free facility. Smoking is prohibited in all public areas, which includes all restaurants and bars.
  • Smokers on the front curb of the terminal are encouraged to use courtesy areas on each end of Baggage Claim and Ticketing levels.
Are there pet relief areas airside?
There are three:
  • Concourse A Connector
  • Concourse A/B Connector
  • Concourse D
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: DL (ex-NW) Plat pining for self-serve WC's and real cheese
Originally Posted by akarneboge
Have you ever had the opportunity to utilize gate 35X at your home airport? You might think twice about other hubs after going through that cluster.
Thankfully, no. I was a NW/DL elite for years out of DCA and have only recently been moving business over to AA. Most of the places I need to get from DCA via AA are non-stop mainline. And even if I had experience with 35X, I don't know how either situation is excused or acceptable for a hub operation.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Schedule change - MCT question

I had a schedule change on a round trip SAV-CLT-CUN flying J. New connection times down to 46 minutes going to CUN and 1:10 coming back. I think both of these are pushing the envelope for making connections. It seems that flights are closing the door earlier and earlier recently on departures. I also have to go from E term to D Term going and the reverse coming back, not to mention customs and baggage re-check. Any thoughts? Should I change flights?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:41 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by techsman
I had a schedule change on a round trip SAV-CLT-CUN flying J. New connection times down to 46 minutes going to CUN and 1:10 coming back. I think both of these are pushing the envelope for making connections. It seems that flights are closing the door earlier and earlier recently on departures. I also have to go from E term to D Term going and the reverse coming back, not to mention customs and baggage re-check. Any thoughts? Should I change flights?
Going shouldn't be a problem. Provided you're on-time, you'll have enough time to go to the room, maybe stop and get coffee or a magazine, and make it to your gate on-time. I'm assuming you're on a PSA CRJ-900, which do sometimes park at the high E gates (my flight from IAD parked at E35 the other night). These gates don't have jet-bridges and you walk out on the tarmac to a terminal door-so hope for a sunny day!

Anyway, it isn't more than a 10 minute walk from E35 to the D/E connector, and when you get there, Concourse D is immediately to your left.

Coming home on the other hand is a different story. I don't know what time you are arriving at CLT, but customs at CLT can sometimes be backed up especially if you are arriving in the midst of the European arrival bank. I've heard horror stories of passengers held back on planes because the FIS was full and couldn't process anymore passengers, but it's never happened to me. I would check the arrival time of the flight.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
It's been a while since I've flown international in to Charlotte. I'm considering an international arrival from FRA that would leave me with a connection time of an hour and 35 minutes. I'll have no bags and Global Entry/Pre-check. Typically I would book this without a thought if I was comfortable with the airport but curious what others think in CLT. There are other flights to my final destination that day so if by chance I miss it I should be ok. Thoughts?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Pretty serious about never booking connections <1.5hrs through CLT if terminal E is involved. Lately ATC seems to make many flights land on that runway that's apparently in S. Carolina ten miles from the terminals. My CR9 flight Sunday from ATL landed early but it took 45 minutes to get to the furthest possible E gate and my connection was already boarding group 7 35 minutes before departure which is another new thing I hate.

CLT is becoming my least favorite AA hub -- it used to be PHL but at least PHL has a shuttle to/from the RJ gates. Avoid RJs except E175/190 which for some reason get to use the big-girl gates in B and C, but no aircraft is exempt from the S Carolina runway delays. Unfortunately for me, CLT is the hub I'm through most due to its proximity to ATL.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
It's been a while since I've flown international in to Charlotte. I'm considering an international arrival from FRA that would leave me with a connection time of an hour and 35 minutes. I'll have no bags and Global Entry/Pre-check. Typically I would book this without a thought if I was comfortable with the airport but curious what others think in CLT. There are other flights to my final destination that day so if by chance I miss it I should be ok. Thoughts?
You should be fine assuming no delays either en route or on the ground. Be prepared to sprint if your connection is at the E gates.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by born sleepy
You should be fine assuming no delays either en route or on the ground. Be prepared to sprint if your connection is at the E gates.
I'll be flying to PHX so shouldn't have that issue. I think I'll roll the dice.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
I'll be flying to PHX so shouldn't have that issue. I think I'll roll the dice.
You really should be fine. I take the FRA flight quite often- it's not uncommon to arrive early, which means you stay on the plane until customs opens at 1pm. The nice thing about flight 705 is that you're the only flight heading to USCBP (if it's on time or early) and it is always quick. With only carry on and Global Entry, I'd say you're more than safe.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by ACA321
You really should be fine. I take the FRA flight quite often- it's not uncommon to arrive early, which means you stay on the plane until customs opens at 1pm. The nice thing about flight 705 is that you're the only flight heading to USCBP (if it's on time or early) and it is always quick. With only carry on and Global Entry, I'd say you're more than safe.
Yeah I flew into SFO from SYD a couple weeks back and went plane to lounge in 14 minutes as that was hoping on the train to transfer terminals. Global entry really speeds things up.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:49 am

Heads up, starting next week the Concourse B renovations begin. Most construction work will occur outside of normal flight times but expect Concourse B to look like a construction zone. More details below:

Charlotte Douglas International Airport ramps up its Destination CLT construction as terminal renovations get underway next week. Work will begin September 6 on Concourse B.
The makeover will consist of new ceiling tiles, carpet in the seating areas, wall panels, upgraded seating with integrated power USB ports and fresh coats of paint. Terrazzo flooring also will be placed in the center walkway of the concourses to better accommodate rolling luggage. HVAC, electrical, fire alarm and sprinkler systems will be upgraded as well.

Work will begin at the far end of Concourse B, at Gates 13-16, and will continue in stages towards the Atrium. The Concourse will remain open to passengers, however, areas will be gated during the day to preserve the integrity of the newly poured terrazzo. Concourse B renovations are scheduled for completion in 14 months. Crews will begin renovations work in Concourses A and E next summer and Concourses C and D in early 2019.

Restrooms will be renovated as well on Concourses A, B, C and D. Only one set of restrooms will be taken out of service at a time on each concourse. None will close during summer, Thanksgiving or Chrstmas week.

The entire renovations project is scheduled for completion by early 2020.

During renovations, Airport operations will not be interrupted. The majority of work will occur at night from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. to minimize disruptions. Sections of the concourses, however, will be construction areas. Passengers will see open ceilings and bare concrete flooring.

CLT has installed "Pardon Our Dust" messaging featuring Queen Charlotte in the terminal to thank passengers for their patience during the process and to provide project details.

Terminal renovations will be the fifth project in the Destination CLT portfolio, which represents a $2.5 billion capital investment in capacity enhancement projects. Current projects underway include: Elevated Roadway and Terminal Curb Front, Concourse A Expansion – Phase I, East Terminal – Phase II and Concourse E Expansion – Phase VIII.

Destination CLT encompasses the first phase of the Airport’s recently completed Master Plan Update, a collaborative effort with airline partners and the FAA.

CLT’s terminal building was opened in 1982. The $70 million project will bring new life to the 35-year-old building and serve as the most extensive renovations in the terminal’s history.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Thanks for the heads up. It sounds like the B renovations are relatively light. I'm glad to see the bathrooms are getting a make over, they're long overdue for that.

On a related note it's been fun watching the A concourse extension come up out of the ground. I imagine that will be open by spring of next year.

Last edited by KenTarmac; Sep 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm Reason: fix a dang typo
Old Sep 2, 2017, 2:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by born sleepy
Pretty serious about never booking connections <1.5hrs through CLT if terminal E is involved. Lately ATC seems to make many flights land on that runway that's apparently in S. Carolina ten miles from the terminals. My CR9 flight Sunday from ATL landed early but it took 45 minutes to get to the furthest possible E gate and my connection was already boarding group 7 35 minutes before departure which is another new thing I hate.

CLT is becoming my least favorite AA hub -- it used to be PHL but at least PHL has a shuttle to/from the RJ gates. Avoid RJs except E175/190 which for some reason get to use the big-girl gates in B and C, but no aircraft is exempt from the S Carolina runway delays. Unfortunately for me, CLT is the hub I'm through most due to its proximity to ATL.
Agree on this. I flew ABE-CLT last week on a CRJ-900. I think we landed 15 min early. But then we stopped and started so many times while taxiing to the gate. I think it took 20 minutes from touchdown to gate.

Thankfully we went to a real gate (not E35), but it was still quite a hike from high E's to high C for my connection to AUS.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
I am looking at a PBI-DEN flight in October. I have never connected at the CHA hub (never really used US in the old days). The flights I am looking at have a 37 minute connection. From reading the highlights in this thread, I am guessing that should be OK for normal ops, since neither flight should be using Terminal E. Should this connection be OK? I don't check bags.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
I am looking at a PBI-DEN flight in October. I have never connected at the CHA hub (never really used US in the old days). The flights I am looking at have a 37 minute connection. From reading the highlights in this thread, I am guessing that should be OK for normal ops, since neither flight should be using Terminal E. Should this connection be OK? I don't check bags.
I would never really recommend a 37 minute connection personally. Yes you won't be in E terminal, but you could be into B and out of C or vice versa, which is still a good 10 minute walk depending on how far back you are into one or the other. Even if you are on-time your other flt is likely boarding before you are even off the plane.

If there are a few other CLT-DEN flts after yours and the price is too good to pass up then yeah I would do it. Otherwise, I would pick a connection that gives you at least an hour personally.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm
Agree on this. I flew ABE-CLT last week on a CRJ-900. I think we landed 15 min early. But then we stopped and started so many times while taxiing to the gate. I think it took 20 minutes from touchdown to gate.

Thankfully we went to a real gate (not E35), but it was still quite a hike from high E's to high C for my connection to AUS.
I had the same thing with TYS-CLT-TPA recently. It takes a looong time to taxi around to some of the E gates, which I hope they are factoring in to their scheduled arrival times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.