Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to Reactivate / Restore / Reinstate Expired Miles – Reengagement Challenge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2014, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Reengagement Challenge / Challenges to Reinstate / Restore Expired Miles

Some consolidated info about the American Airlines Reengagment Challenge.

NOTE: It appears AA has implemented significant miles reinstatement policy changes as of May, 2019.

1) You may reinstate your miles only within eighteen months after your miles expired because off account inactivity.

2) We know you can pay a fee to do this, but we don’t know at this time if there are still other ways to “re-engage” in some of the ways discussed below.
The Re-engagement Challenge offers you several options to restore all or part of your expired miles that expired in the past five years, based on your level of participation.

You have to call in to the AAdvantage Customer Service desk to register for this unpublished benefit

What you have to do:
  1. Subscribe and remain subscribed to receive AAdvantage Account Summary and AAdvantage Promotions emails
  2. For under 50000 miles
    1. Earn 5,000 partner base miles*
      OR
    2. Earn miles for 1 round trip flight**
  3. For 50,001-75,000 Expired Miles
    1. Earn 7,000 partner base miles*
      AND
    2. Earn miles for 1 round trip flight**
  4. For 75,001 or More Expired Miles
    1. Earn 10,000 partner base miles*
      AND
    2. Earn miles for 2 round trip flight**

You can restore part of your balance, then choose to continue on and restore the rest by completing the additional mileage earning activities.

*Partner miles include anything that doesn't involve flying listed under the earn miles section of American's page, however you only earn miles at the published rates as bonus miles (such as the AA Citi Sign up offer do not count).

Based on my questions to the AA desk, transfers of SPG points don't count either.

** Purchase a ticket and fly round trip on American Airlines, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, or Qantas flight numbers (codeshares marketed by these carriers but operated by others are also eligible), earning miles in your AAdvantage account. You may mix outbound and return carriers.

Here US Airways also counts as American.

Note: AA has more recently offered reinstatement of lost / expired AAdvantage miles by charging a fee (post by myguess1 was an offer to reinstate 84,000 expired miles for $600.00).
Print Wikipost

How to Reactivate / Restore / Reinstate Expired Miles – Reengagement Challenge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2016, 1:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by kathysrewards
So I made a costly boo boo.
One of my family members accounts miles expired in October 2015.
Account had 140k miles which were rolled over from dividend miles.
I dropped the ball bc my moms account was in the same situation and I always just checked it and assumed the activity and expiration were the same. I was wrong bc mom had a dining purchase that pushed out her date.
Per the website they will reinstate the miles for $600 (ouch).
Any luck with other options?
I thought I read that signing up for the credit card will reinstate them which would be a very easy option.
These were all rolled over from dividend miles.
I contacted Alamo about posting miles from a 2014 rental. (Long shot)

I can't believe I did this I feel like an idiot!

Any help is appreciated
I'll go ahead and shift this to the expired miles reengagement thread. Good luck getting the miles reinstated!

~Moderator
Old Nov 4, 2016, 6:29 pm

Does anyone know if you have to wait until you start the Reengagement challenge to book your flight, or will an already-booked flight be ok as long as it happens within 6 months of enrollment?

edit: Looking to buy a ticket this weekend. Missed the AAdvantage customer service line by 20 min, and now they're not open again till Monday.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:18 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Is there any form of this that can be applied to expired Systemwide Upgrades for an Executive Platinum? I have a buddy who just had five of these expire (dummy!) and he's seeking advice on how to appeal. Thanks.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 4:44 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by mooper
Is there any form of this that can be applied to expired Systemwide Upgrades for an Executive Platinum? I have a buddy who just had five of these expire (dummy!) and he's seeking advice on how to appeal. Thanks.
Dont get your hopes up. Does he have any upcoming travel that he can apply them? The only way to know is to call and check. Other than that, what was he planing on doing with them that he couldn't do on or before 02/28?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by arollins
Dont get your hopes up. Does he have any upcoming travel that he can apply them? The only way to know is to call and check. Other than that, what was he planing on doing with them that he couldn't do on or before 02/28?
Thanks. I don't think he has anything booked, but if they're restored, he'll book something.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 11:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mooper
Certain members were able to have a certain # of their SWUs extended to May 31, 2018, and, I -do- know of 2 cases where such extension took place after the expiration (BUT in each case those folks had a "dialog" going with AA before that date, importantly.)

Your friend can ask, of course, but I'd say the chances are very slim. There are some success stories in the various SWU threads here and I covered it on my twitter as well:

(one of the FT threads, scroll up a bit from the bottom of the thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post28011924 )

Last edited by JonNYC; Mar 11, 2017 at 11:53 am Reason: add thread link
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Called AAdvantage customer service to see if they could dredge up my original account and they did!^ Still had an address I last lived at about 20 years ago so no activity for at least that long. Agent offered to reinstate, for $40, the roughly 5000 expired miles in it from a trip I took 31 years ago.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Plat, HH Gold, Delta Diamond
What is the best way to reactivate 225K AA miles?

Around 225K miles got expired last month. I see AA is charging, $1,250 for reactivating the miles... is there any other less expensive alternative?

TIA
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:19 am

Sorry...They factor expiring miles into their business model. Hope someone here can help you
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
You can always call and see if this is still a thing: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:31 pm

Programs: MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Plat, HH Gold, Delta Diamond
Accepted below re-engagement challenge to restore 75,001 Expired Miles or More

Earn 10,000 partner base miles AND Earn miles for 2 round trip flights within next 6 months

Last edited by dongrilla; Jul 6, 2017 at 11:31 pm Reason: added duration for challenge
Old Apr 7, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: N/A (kid =! no travel :( )
Regaining wife's lost 100k miles

So I sadly wasn't tracking my wife's account and 2 weeks after needing them it turns out my wife lost her miles from non-use. This was less than a year ago. I have been wanting to do the reengagement challenge 2x for her over the years and get the miles back but she hasn't had a chance to fly AA in the last year and we just got the southwest companion pass which makes such travel even more unlikely until 2020 which has me worried. We could pay the $650 for the miles but I hate that idea (although at this point reengagement costs us $60 so cost effectively 2x flights would need to be under $590 + LOE).

Ideally she would be able to make use of the flight for reasons other than just the flight but this is unlikely as she is only able to travel on Saturdays and Sundays and a main reason to travel would be to bring our daughter to see family/friends and traveling with a 17month old for such quick turns is pointless.

As such I am hoping folks here can point me towards our next best option which for this year would be a single RT flight from BWI to any city with minimal flight/layover time for the cheapest possible on either a Saturday or Sunday in the next 6 months. We would like a sub $100 flight but I have had 0 luck finding it. Anyone who can point me towards such an opportunity or has alternative suggestions as to how we can regain her miles it would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EP
I believe Aa has some type of program where u can reinstate miles via a challenger and/or fee. Call AAdv customer service on Monday
Originally Posted by pattermj
So I sadly wasn't tracking my wife's account and 2 weeks after needing and ask.

them it turns out my wife lost her miles from non-use. This was less than a year ago. I have been wanting to do the reengagement challenge 2x for her over the years and get the miles back but she hasn't had a chance to fly AA in the last year and we just got the southwest companion pass which makes such travel even more unlikely until 2020 which has me worried. We could pay the $650 for the miles but I hate that idea (although at this point reengagement costs us $60 so cost effectively 2x flights would need to be under $590 + LOE).

Ideally she would be able to make use of the flight for reasons other than just the flight but this is unlikely as she is only able to travel on Saturdays and Sundays and a main reason to travel would be to bring our daughter to see family/friends and traveling with a 17month old for such quick turns is pointless.

As such I am hoping folks here can point me towards our next best option which for this year would be a single RT flight from BWI to any city with minimal flight/layover time for the cheapest possible on either a Saturday or Sunday in the next 6 months. We would like a sub $100 flight but I have had 0 luck finding it. Anyone who can point me towards such an opportunity or has alternative suggestions as to how we can regain her miles it would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: N/A (kid =! no travel :( )
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
I believe Aa has some type of program where u can reinstate miles via a challenger and/or fee. Call AAdv customer service on Monday
The cost and reason for the quick turn flight is doing the challenger. I just don't see much value from doing 2x flights +$30 compared to sadly paying the straight $650
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pattermj
..As such I am hoping folks here can point me towards our next best option which for this year would be a single RT flight from BWI to any city with minimal flight/layover time for the cheapest possible on either a Saturday or Sunday in the next 6 months. We would like a sub $100 flight but I have had 0 luck finding it
100,000 AA miles is worth putting in some effort & cost to recover.
If you can't find a cheap flight ex BWI I doubt anyone else here on FT can.
Not hard to search for flights. Wikipedia BWI.
What about from other airports in the area? DCA IAD. airports distance link

Main thread here How to Reactivate / Restore Expired Miles – Reengagement Challenge (consolidated)

And Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / expiration & use other than flying

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 7, 2018 at 9:49 pm Reason: added airport distance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.