Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / expiration & spend for other than flying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Preventing AAdvantage Miles and Accounts from Expiring:
What can I do? Alternatives for miles use and discussion.

To check your miles expiration date: Look for the Wallet link on the website or in the app.

From AAdvantage Terms and Conditions: "AAdvantage members must have mileage earning or redeeming activity once every 18 months in order to retain their miles. If your account has no qualifying activity in any 18-month period, all miles in the account will expire. Qualifying activity extends the expiration date of all unexpired mileage credit in your account for 18 months from the date of the qualifying activity. Qualifying activity is defined as redeeming any AAdvantage award or accruing mileage credit on any eligible American, American Eagle® or AAdvantage airline participant as well as accruing mileage credit with participating hotels, car rental companies, credit cards, telecommunication providers and other service providers offering AAdvantage mileage credit." Gufting or donating miles, doing anything that will cause an increase or decrease in the number of award miles in an AAdvantage account resets the expiration clock by 18 months.
AAdvantage members who are under 21 are not subject to mileage expiration if their birthday is associated with their account.

But note:
Pausing AAdvantage® mile expiration through June 2021

You’ve worked hard to earn your AAdvantage® miles, and we recognize you may need more time than usual to keep them active. We’ve paused the expiration of miles through June 30, 2021. If your miles are scheduled to expire on or before June 30, 2021, they will now expire in July 2021, if there’s no additional activity in your account before then. You can find the expiration date of your miles in the Wallet section of your AAdvantage® account.
ANY account activity, earning or using miles, will extend the expiration date of all AA miles by an additional 18 months.

When days count, be aware: it's the transaction date, not the posting date, that counts to extend miles' validity. It can take some time for miles activity to fully post, including the new expiration date. But, read on. Be aware of some vendors’ delayed posting, however.

Originally Posted by Cygnet
"Activity date" is how the airline sees it, but beware that the date as reported by the shopping portal vendor can be a "gotcha." From my own experiences of various online vendors, the "activity date" reported can be the date you placed the order, OR the date your order was "received", OR the date your order was "processed", OR the date a transaction "hold" was placed on your credit card, OR the date your credit card company actually approved the transaction, OR the date your order was shipped, OR the date it was picked up (if in-store, for example), OR...etc., etc. And, don't forget time zone differences, too, if your cutoff date is very close (is it the time zone/date of where you ordered, or the vendor's website server, or the vendor's physical store, or...?) In other words, each online vendor may define and report the activity date to the airline in ways you didn't expect. I have seen an instance, for example, where the reported activity date was almost 2 weeks past the actual date I placed the order, simply because a part was on back-order, thus the full order was not "completed" and therefore the credit card not billed until later. Another example is flower delivery, especially if the flowers aren't scheduled for delivery until much later. Buyer beware -- the airline will refer you to the vendor for clarification.
For other relevant threads and resources see:

aa.com and Others:
  • Link to AA restricts expired miles reactivation within 18 months of expiration (2019) thread
  • Link to How to Reactivate / Restore Expired Miles – Reengagement Challenge thread
  • Link to Miles for Opinions surveys - not many miles, but it resets the clock.
  • Link to Car Rental partners
  • Link- Business and Financial: Earn AAdvantage miles when you buy, sell, or move your home with American HomeMiles by SIRVA, BankDirect, Fidelity, Lifelock, Network Solutions, PreFlight parking, Regus, etc.
  • Link Buying, Gifting, Sharing AA Miles (Points.com)
  • Link- Charities: Contributing Money (Earning Miles): Susan G. Komen, National Cancer Research Foundation, USO
  • Link- Financial and Business: Earn AAdvantage miles when you buy, sell, or move your home with American HomeMiles by SIRVA, BankDirect, Fidelity, Lifelock, Network Solutions, PreFlight parking, Regus, etc.
  • Link - Home and Health: DIRECTV, Energy Plus, Everything Energy, because Energy, Reliant, Spafinder Wellness 365
  • Link to ALL Hotel partners
  • Links to Hotel Bookings via pointshound.com, rocketmiles.com and Kaligo.com
  • Link - Retail And Dining: AAdvantage eShopping Mall, AAdvantage Dining Program, FTD, Teleflora, 1-800-FLOWERS.COM, Vinesse Wine
  • Linkaa.com - Reactivating expired miles (for fee)

Using or getting rid of miles
FlyerTalk:
  • Link - FAQ:: How do I keep my miles from expiring?
  • Link -: Preventing mileage expiration for Canadian AAdvantage members
  • Link - Preventing mileage expiration for UK and other non-US AAdvantage members
  • Link - Charity Donation / Contribution: Miles, Award, Upgrade; Earning Miles

Here are some suggestions from members on how to prevent miles from expiring easily and/or automatically. Please post your suggestions here.
  • Sign up and register a credit card with AAdvantage Dining, go dine at an enrolled restaurant. (Sign up with your email address for notifications for 3 miles per dollar spent instead of one mile; dine 11 times in one year and earn 5 miles per dollar.)
  • Make any purchase through https://www.aadvantageeshopping.comthat earns AA miles.
  • Another easy/cheap route is ordering photos from Walgreens.com. It specifically says in the terms "photo orders picked up in-store are eligible." Prints are as cheap as US$0.29, but I'd purchase at least $1 worth to make sure you get your miles (2miles/$1).

For previous posts on this topic, please see ARCHIVE: Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / alternate use of miles

Nov 12, 2020 - Formatting % font size
Print Wikipost

Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / expiration & spend for other than flying

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Hi folks,

I am new to this forum, I am glad I found you all - hopefully someone here can help me.

I just got a call from a woman at American Airlines to regretfully inform me that my 107,000 miles are expiring on Wednesday and would I like to book a r/t to Europe to keep from losing them!

OMG - We are so busy at the office, I cant go to Walmart let alone Europe...

I am afraid that all my hard work on earning those miles has gone to shame. I tried to see if I could transfer Hyatt points but that takes 8 weeks, even shopping at the AA mall said I would not get credit for 3-4 weeks, but I need activity in 72 hours or AA is going to take my miles.

Can anyone help me out for what I can do to save my miles from expiring?

Thanks in advance!!

Radmo
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
If you send me your info, I can book an award ticket for myself. Thanks!

Got anywhere to go soon? Book that... you can always change dates later.

Or... book a one-way Hawaii inter-island award for 5000 miles. You might not use it, but you'll save the rest of your miles, and the activity will show immediately, giving you another 18 months.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You could buy some miles
Look here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post11822072

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Ok, that is not too bad - I can live with 7500 mile loss.

Can you suggest two city pairs that will qualify for that?

I cant seem to find any...

Rad
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Ok purchasing miles is good too. I tried to do that online at AA.com but no luck, so l called AA and ask them how to purchase, or what to do, aparently they are only open weekdays 9-5.

I guess I am just an old-timer, I don't remember these programs being this tricky last Century.

Thanks again!
Radmo
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:44 am
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Use points.com to transfer anything else you may have or transfer some AA out.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Ok, is points.com instant or does it take 3-6 weeks like all the other transfer programs? Remember, i expire on Wednesday!!
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by radmo
Ok, is points.com instant or does it take 3-6 weeks like all the other transfer programs? Remember, i expire on Wednesday!!

What you need to know:
  • Transactions are nonrefundable and nonreversible.
  • The miles successfully purchased will post to the designated account immediately.
  • Prices are in U.S. dollars and do not include applicable taxes or $30 per transaction processing charge.
  • AAdvantage miles purchased do not count toward elite-status qualification or AAdvantage Million MilerSM status.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:54 am

Just log in to your account and redeem 500 miles for a magazine subscription. Should be instant!
nsx1164 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Winner for best advice - thanks!!

Just bought a year subscription to Sunset Magazine for 400 points, it deducted the miles out of my account instantly showing the new balance (less the 400) and giving me confirmation that I spent miles, hence creating activity on or before my expiration date of 1/8/15.
philippamyers likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:21 pm

Radmo- do you use awardwallet to track your balances? It helps with a heads up on expiring miles. If you are opening a new account I can give you a code for a free premium account.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I just got a call from a woman at American Airlines to regretfully inform me that my 107,000 miles are expiring on Wednesday and would I like to book a r/t to Europe to keep from losing them!
Slightly OT, but this sounds fishy. I've never heard of anyone getting such a call. Did you check the phone number to see if it really was AA calling?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

I thought the vary same thing!! Why on earth would AA call to tell me my miles are expiring, why not just let them expire?? The 800 # she left goes to the AAdvantage department (maybe others here have heard of the same call) I listened to the message again and she does say for $161 she can extend them for 18 more months, so that must have been why it is worth it to them to put someone on the phone and make those calls?

The number my caller ID box captured was 800-882-8880
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by contecsa
Can you sell a trip to someone?
If you do you will fall seriously afoul of AAdvantage terms and conditions. That could have the buyer denied boardung until they paid full walk up fare, and risks the seller's account closure, loss of miles and status.

We've seen how active and clever Corporate Security / AAdvantage Fraud can be.

This is not an option, and further discussion of how one might accomplish runs afoul of FlyerTalk Rules.

JDiver, Senior Moderator
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Hi folks,

I am new to this forum, I am glad I found you all - hopefully someone here can help me.

Buy 1000 Miles on AA dot com ASAP. That's the solution. They post well within 72 hours. After you purchase them, call AAdvantage and tell them the 1000 miles are coming.

Solved.

P.S.: Yes, redeeming miles for a flight, or other, is instant too.

Spock Seat @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.