Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Domestic Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CFC / "Standby"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Domestic Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CFC / "Standby"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Question re: timing of request availability: I have an upcoming FLL-CLT-LAX flight in paid first. The connection in CLT is tight and I would like to go on a later CLT-LAX flight, keeping the same FLL-CLT flight. When should I check availability? T-24 of the FLL-CLT leg or the desired CLT-LAX leg?

Also, ticket was booked through AMEX Travel to use a credit I had there. Will that affect anything (i.e., AA saying they can't touch the reservation because AMEX made it)?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I think it is T-24 of the CLT-LAX leg that you desire. Probably won't be able to do it online, but calling in or using Twitter should work. I've never had a problem making a same day change with flights booked through my corporate travel agent.
To answer my own question now that I am T-24 and correct the response I received, I am able to SDFC for the entire route T-24 of the first flight. That said, as I am traveling on an I fare, without I availability but plenty of E, I can only do standby, which I won't bother with.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:05 am

I think I learned something new about SDFC this morning. Tried to do a SDFC on a D fare FLL-CLT-LAX. I only wanted to change the CLT-LAX leg. It had D inventory and E inventory and I was booked in D. Was told that I couldn't change because there was no D inventory on the FLL-CLT leg, though there was E inventory, and that the original fare inventory has to be available for all legs, even on the ones you aren't changing.

This doesn't make sense to me. Is this part of their "new rules" or has it always been like this?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
I think I learned something new about SDFC this morning. Tried to do a SDFC on a D fare FLL-CLT-LAX. I only wanted to change the CLT-LAX leg. It had D inventory and E inventory and I was booked in D. Was told that I couldn't change because there was no D inventory on the FLL-CLT leg, though there was E inventory, and that the original fare inventory has to be available for all legs, even on the ones you aren't changing.

This doesn't make sense to me. Is this part of their "new rules" or has it always been like this?
I don't think that's the case. Did you try Twitter DM?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold

If you were only trying to SDFC CLT-LAX I have no idea why your FLL-CLT would matter at all. If there was D inventory for CLT-LAX's new flight and you were booked D on your CLT-LAX flt I do not see why you couldn't. Sounds like an incompetent agent to me. I would try again in CLT to make the switch.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by SpinOn2
If you were only trying to SDFC CLT-LAX I have no idea why your FLL-CLT would matter at all. If there was D inventory for CLT-LAX's new flight and you were booked D on your CLT-LAX flt I do not see why you couldn't. Sounds like an incompetent agent to me. I would try again in CLT to make the switch.
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I don't think that's the case. Did you try Twitter DM?
Thanks for the input. The point is now moot as I rescheduled the entire flight for other reasons (it was a MR), but I will keep your advice in mind if I encounter this again. Glad the rules aren't as absurd as what the agent told me.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:27 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the input. The point is now moot as I rescheduled the entire flight for other reasons (it was a MR), but I will keep your advice in mind if I encounter this again. Glad the rules aren't as absurd as what the agent told me.
Would the change flight have exceeded stopover time limit?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Just to confirm it for me. If I´m having a booking LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS ticket in F and want to change the JFK-LAX-LAS part to earlier flights, I´m not eligible, because of the LHR-JFK part, right? Or can I ask in JFK if they can put me on the earlier flights, since the international part is already gone by then?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by EDDMflyer
Just to confirm it for me. If I´m having a booking LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS ticket in F and want to change the JFK-LAX-LAS part to earlier flights, I´m not eligible, because of the LHR-JFK part, right? Or can I ask in JFK if they can put me on the earlier flights, since the international part is already gone by then?
YMMV, but I've definitely changed the domestic portion of the international itinerary using SDFC. You can even do SDFC on LHR-JFK (the only longhaul international route that permits SDFC).

-FlyerBeek
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
YMMV, but I've definitely changed the domestic portion of the international itinerary using SDFC. You can even do SDFC on LHR-JFK (the only longhaul international route that permits SDFC).

-FlyerBeek
Would they allow changing LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS to LHR-LAX-LAS?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by mvoight
Would they allow changing LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS to LHR-LAX-LAS?
No, highly unlikely. You still need to conform with the SDFC rules (namely, no change in routing). I have had the LHR staff rebook me on more advantageous routings on request, but ONLY when it was to their benefit (ie my flight was oversold).

-FlyerBeek
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:33 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek

-FlyerBeek
I too have had luck changing the domestic legs after the Int'l leg is flown. I usually try as soon as I land and are maybe 50/50 on the EXP line. When that fails, I always succeed at the AC or gate whenever there are seats available. Have even had luck without asking being confirmed in forward cabin when previous upgrade was confirmed. I have had limited luck doing SDC on LHR-JFK when part of an onward journey beyond JFK. Find that pretty annoying and have never known if that is actually the rule or not.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:34 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by seawolf
Would the change flight have exceeded stopover time limit?
my thought exactly. They have been pretty strict IME not allowing SDC when exceeding stopover length. You can usually do it at the airport but not on the phone.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Apologies if I missed the answer to this query, but on my scan of recent posts, I couldn't find it.

What is AA's policy regarding accommodating paid premium cabin standby passengers into the premium cabin of an earlier flight?

Scenario: My (PPro) fiancé was flying paid F MCODFW last night, and was able to get off standby into Y for an earlier flight. After his new BP was issued, gate agent processed several Y to F upgrades. Is he just out of luck? I suppose he was reticketed into "E" and the appropriate coach fare class and accordingly for all intents and purposes he was then not a paid F flyer?

My (naive) assumption is that AA would want to get paid F flyers into F rather than "give it away" (I know that's a debatable topic) to a coach fare. Granted, some coach fares could be more expensive than some F fares...

Fiancé and I were both thankful that AA got him on the earlier flight, regardless.

Any expert insight would be appreciated.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by tismfu
Apologies if I missed the answer to this query, but on my scan of recent posts, I couldn't find it.

What is AA's policy regarding accommodating paid premium cabin standby passengers into the premium cabin of an earlier flight?

Scenario: My (PPro) fiancé was flying paid F MCODFW last night, and was able to get off standby into Y for an earlier flight. After his new BP was issued, gate agent processed several Y to F upgrades. Is he just out of luck? I suppose he was reticketed into "E" and the appropriate coach fare class and accordingly for all intents and purposes he was then not a paid F flyer?

My (naive) assumption is that AA would want to get paid F flyers into F rather than "give it away" (I know that's a debatable topic) to a coach fare. Granted, some coach fares could be more expensive than some F fares...

Fiancé and I were both thankful that AA got him on the earlier flight, regardless.

Any expert insight would be appreciated.
This (perhaps) sounds like an instance of the gate agent not working the upgrade and standby lists correctly—that is, unless your fiancé was booked on a Y-up fare or something like that.

For same-day confirmed flight changes on first class tickets, the same fare bucket must be available. So, for example, if your fiancé was ticketed in D, D class must have been available for a confirmed flight change to be available.

It sounds like there was no availability in the original fare bucket in which your fiancé's ticket was booked, so he was put on standby. Assuming your fiancé was booked in an actual first class fare bucket (and not a Y-up or Instant Upgrade fare bucket), he should have been on standby for a first class seat, and he should have cleared before upgrades. Unfortunately, the standby and upgrade lists are separate, and sometimes agents will clear upgrades before standbys. In this type of situation, I generally try to get to the gate a little early and let the gate agent know that I am on the standby list with a first class ticket.

If your fiancé had been booked on a Y-UP fare, then he would have had to clear onto the flight in economy before then being placed on the upgrade list. If this was the case, it sounds like he may have not been placed on the upgrade list once he cleared the standby flight. But he was not entitled to clear directly into first class.

Last edited by flyingeph12; Dec 16, 2017 at 2:10 pm
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Thank you, that was helpful.

He was originally booked in I fare class, which is obviously discounted business, but not a Y-UP, to my knowledge.

Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.