Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
The current version of this thread can be found here:

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? (Master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:26 am

Programs: Alaska MVP 75k, AA EXP, Subway Sub Club
SWUs "earning" early?

I'm just a smidge away from requalifying for ExPlat next year, and will do it based on booked travel right before new years (hurray for precise milage count and properly gauged trips).

Yet last night, I just noticed a fresh batch of eight 2015-expiration VIPs (I swear they weren't there earlier), dated when I purchased my the trip that would push me over the edge. I thought new SWUs were issued when the requal EQMs/EQPs posted, so this is a bit early. Didn't have to call or anything like that. Thank you AA!
Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by saucesee
I'm just a smidge away from requalifying for ExPlat next year, and will do it based on booked travel right before new years (hurray for precise milage count and properly gauged trips).

Yet last night, I just noticed a fresh batch of eight 2015-expiration VIPs (I swear they weren't there earlier), dated when I purchased my the trip that would push me over the edge. I thought new SWUs were issued when the requal EQMs/EQPs posted, so this is a bit early. Didn't have to call or anything like that. Thank you AA!
Yes, there have been reports of this occurring.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by vasantn
Despite brp's prior experiences, I have never experienced a problem requesting a sticker upgrade on the domestic portion of an international itinerary while being waitlisted for a VIP upgrade on the entire itinerary.
In the interests of clarity, it is not possible to waitlist for a VIP on an "entire itinerary". SWUs can only be waitlisted segment by segment; for example, if you waitlist to business LAX-JFK-CDG, and the JFK-CDG clears but there is no C inventory on your LAX-JFK flight, you would then and only then be waitlisted for LAX-JFK.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:19 am

Ugh. I didn't know the complications of upgrading a direct flight (2 flights with the same flight number). The first leg had available space for instant upgrade, but the EXP desk agent told me they couldn't upgrade that leg unless both legs of the direct flight had C, and so I waited, it looks like I won't be getting either now. I called again today and this time, the EXP agent told me it is possible to break the direct flight into two segments to upgrade one flight, but only if one of them shows upgrades available; they can't do it while it's on the waitlist.

Oh well. Live and learn.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:29 pm

Can one request SWU on only a segment of a "through flight". For example, Flight 90 is DFW-ORD-LHR. Can I just request ORD-LHR to increase the chance of clearing?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by saucesee

There is a thread on this. Same happened to my wife.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA 1K
On aa.com, if I see my requested flight duplicated at the bottom of my itinerary in C, that means that my SWU has cleared, correct?

Do I need to do anything to get the system to reticket? I usually call in and the agent will know what to do, but this time, the agent said I hadn't cleared my upgrade yet.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, PC PLT, SPG GLD
No longer receiving email notification for cleared SWU

I used to receive email notification when SWU's cleared however I have not received any notification for a while. I tried calling and emailing AA, but no one was able to identify the issue. I do receive every other email, including domestic upgrades, which seems strange since it shows my correct email is in the system.
Other than obsessively checking and setting up alerts in EF, I have not been able to resolve this. It is always great to get an upgrade cleared, but it would be even better if I could select seats as I did before.
If anyone encountered the same issue or have any idea on how to resolve it, I would appreciate your input.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:01 am

A friend gifted me a SWU that I was supposed to use today, but plans changed due to DFW weather. Who calls to request the SWU redeposit? Thanks.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
15K Miles + $75 copay

Going from Economy to Business on JFK to LAX flight. Inventory for "C" shows two. Just to confirming that should clear immediately after calling AA to purchase? AA says no, I will be put on the upgrade list...

I thought if there was C inventory, it was confirmed as soon as I upgraded. It did for my BOS to LAX flights in the past.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Is it that I just have noticed, but now when I want to book a ticket, I can see if if is eligible for SWU and there is space.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Just had my first SWU not to clear EZE-JFK....31B wasn't too bad though on the 772
Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: AA 1MM, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis Pres Club, Nat'l Exec Elite
Question - can you use another airline mileage program for earning miles when using a SWU? I would assume so, but wanted to confirm.

In my case, I am Gold on Alaska and have lifetime gold on AA. Wanting to get double miles and help with requalifying by using SWUs on an AA flight but crediting my AS Mileage Plan account instead of AA.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
EF shows C6 on a flight I am taking. If I am gifted a couple of SWUs and I apply them is the C6 availability a guarantee that I'd get the upgrade (both myself and my travel companion)? And if so, does that type of thing go through immediately? I am PLT and the friend I'm traveling with has no status. I don't want to potentially waste a generous offer.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Pinned
EF shows C6 on a flight I am taking. If I am gifted a couple of SWUs and I apply them is the C6 availability a guarantee that I'd get the upgrade (both myself and my travel companion)? And if so, does that type of thing go through immediately? I am PLT and the friend I'm traveling with has no status. I don't want to potentially waste a generous offer.
I recently went through that with a gifted SWU as well. The EXP called in and applied the SWUs to our flights (1 domestic, 1 int'l) and they cleared instantly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.