Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it?

Link to oneworld web page “Emerald Privileges”

Executive Platinum status requirements: rack up 200,000 Loyalty Points in one calendar year

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

(Members NO LONGER must fly at least 4 American Airlines marketed segments during the qualifying year to receive elite status.)

Status will last the current status year and the following status year - earn EP during 2019, your status ends 31 Jan 2021.

Preferred benefits:
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats
  • Up to three (3) free checked bags with oneworld benefit, 32 kg / 70 lbs ea. (extends to all traveling companions same PNR)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee available[/color] (for EQM only as of 1 Aug 2016)
  • 100% elite mileage bonus (changed to 11 Award miles per "fare dollar" (base fare plus carrier fees, not taxes) spent as of 1 Aug 2016)
  • Guaranteed Main Cabin seat availability [/color] (up to 24 hrs from departure)
  • Systemwide Upgrades (see below)
  • First class lounge access qualifying longhaul international and MEX** (see below)

Airport benefits
  • Check in at First Class counter)
  • Priority Lane / Fast Track through the airport at check-in, security and boarding (link) (see post #472 - link)
  • Checked bag fee waived for three (3) bags up to 70 lb / 32 kg
  • Priority baggage delivery
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • Complimentary same-day flight change on American Airlines
  • Discounted Admirals Club® membership
  • Flagship Lounge and Admirals Club access on qualifying flights, regardless of class

Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • 100-hour upgrade window
  • Flights* 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades
  • Flights* over 500 miles: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • As of June 2017, Executive Platinum members can use their complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits on AAdvantage® award tickets for travel on American from Main Cabin to the next class."
  • Courtesy 500 mile Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 100 hours
  • *Upgrades on American are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Executive Platinum members DO NOT earn 500-mile upgrades.

Systemwide Upgrades (SWU)
You’ll receive four (4) systemwide upgrades (8 SWU years prior to c/y 2016 ) when you qualify or re-qualify for Executive Platinum status.
You may earn two more SWU at 150,000 EQM, and again at 200,000 EQM
SWU upgrades are valid, when available, for one-way travel on any American Airlines marketed and operated flight (up to 3 segments) and you can give them to anyone, even if you're not traveling with them.

Linkto further SWU information

Other benefits
  • Exclusive Executive Platinum service desk (actual separate dedicated call center staff)
  • Waived ticketing service charge
  • Guaranteed availability in the Main Cabin*
  • Waitlist priority for purchased First or Business Class (on American)
  • Complimentary alcoholic beverage and snack in the Main Cabin / coach (no, does not extend to traveling companion)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Two EP baggage tags
  • Exclusive partner offers

Award benefits
  • Extended MileSAAver award availability (must call EXP Desk, your FFN must be used during the award search, availability is not unlimited)
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within twenty-one days of travel)
  • AAdvantage award change and reinstatement charge waived (for awards reinstated to the EP member's account)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards

oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
  • oneworld priority security
  • oneworld partner lounge access** First Class and frequent flyer lounges
  • Extended 3 bags and weight (32 kg / 70 lbs ea.)

*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).
**AAdvantage member access to American Airlines lounges excluded (regardless of status or class of service) if traveling within North America or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Link to aa.com AAdvantage Elite Status benefit comparison charts

Link to aa.com [b]Elite Status Benefit Guide

Previous posts: Archive: Is EXP / Executive Platinum worth it? What are the benefits? (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
There's a lot more to EXP than domestic upgrades....
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by bse118
There's a lot more to EXP than domestic upgrades....
Yup. The OP should read What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd).
E55 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by jungly
So here's my beef.

For those of us that will be hitting executive platinum this year and are road warriors, I've noticed that my flights from the NorthWest (or any west coast major city) to Dallas (Direct flights only) on Monday mornings all have no-vacant "business" seats. In fact, in order to get a business class seat you have to book a month in advance - and they love to jack up the price for all the arrivals to DFW at lunch hour. So this means next year you can forget about getting upgraded for free to business class on the morning flights.

What you can do is take a connecting flight to LAX or ORD for an afternoon departure flight from your original city, only to arrive in Dallas at 5pm evenings. And then to your final destination at night. Here you will get upgraded because no one outright buys business class seats for afternoon or brunch hours.

So my question to all you veteran "Executive Platinums"
1. Do you take an inconvinient departure flight in order to get better odds of getting free business class upgraded? Ie. Depart at 11am to 1pm from your original city to Dallas; instead of taking the morning rush hour flights.
2. Do you take an alternative route through LAX or Chicago (adding an extra stop). Because all direct flights to DFW in the mornings (6am 7am 8am) have no vacant business class seats.
3. Do you just outright buy the business class seat in the morning? Might be the only option which means you'll add to the chaos of us snobs that bought up the business class's for all the 6am road warriors (but now I have to compete with the other ladies and guys outright buying business class seats 1 month in advance).

Side Rant: By the looks of it, I almost wish there was another tier above 'executive platinum' that guarantees a 'business class' seat.
I'm wondering if Virgin or other high end airlines have "business class" flights only where the entire flight is filled with first or business seats.
Are you flying domestic? If so there is no business class, it's F.

I get upgraded about 40% of the time out of DFW (EQD $18K) so I'm with AA obviously not for upgrades. I used to complain about redeeming SWU but I have figured it out and it's really a nice benefit. Too bad they were cut down to only 4 (but can get 2 more at 150K EQD).

SDC is nice although very limited.

Lounge access is nice too but trying to get into any other lounge other than AA at DFW D is tough (I've been denied access) as they only want people on their own respective airline.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by jungly
to Dallas (Direct flights only) on Monday mornings
You are complaining that you can't get a free upgrade on a flight to AA's busiest hub at the busiest business travel time of week. Free upgrades (and "sticker" upgrades) have always existed to give away seats that would otherwise go unsold. As others have mentioned, the economy is booming, load factors are high, and airlines are aggressively monetizing First and Business class. But all that aside, if AA cannot sell out F on Monday morning DFW flights then there is something seriously wrong with their pricing and revenue management.

If you really want F your options are to put up the $ to buy F or take less convenient flights/routings where you are more likely to be upgraded, but the latter takes up your time. Only you can decide how much your time is worth in dollars. I am not EXP but personally I would never take a time-consuming routing to increase my upgrade chances. I would just sit in MCE and think about how great it will be to get to my destination in the shortest amount of time possible.
JDiver and E55 like this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by wetrat0
If you really want F your options are to put up the $ to buy F
Exactly. That's why I don't complain.

I bought Y, I get Y.

Occasionally I get F for Y price but I don't plan on it nor let it ruin my day.

The old days are long gone ....
E55 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
There are certain routes where upgrades are really difficult on Sunday night/Monday morning or Thursday evening/Friday when the road warriors are out. LAX/DFW, ORD/DFW, LGA/DFW, JFK/LAX. That's just life. I suppose you could switch allegiances if you have certain routes and think you can qualify. Would DL LAX-DFW be better for you? That's only a choice you can make,

That being said, flights are full and prices are up. Lots of people buying paid F. Thankfully, I'm in the 30-40k annualized EQD so I'm usually at the top of the upgrade list as an EXP, even if I'm not spending enough to get CK. But even with spend, LAX/JFK, LAX/DFW, LAX/MIA, and DFW/LGA can be hard. Lots of folks with paid F/J (including those flying in international J because travel policies allow them to do so).
E55 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I am going for AA EXP, but not because I want to but because I have been made an AA slave despite resisting as much as possible. I fly SEA-CLT and AA is the only one flying that route. My alternatives are connections but on that distance I can't afford to lose any more hours out of my work week. I cannot credit towards AS and of course cannot leverage my AS MVP Gold 75K status anymore. I will have to lose it to gain(?) AA EXP. I am a slave to a monopoly. As for first class, I actually scored one on CLT-SEA the other week as Plat with e500s. On the morning 5:45am flight it does appear that upgrades are quite possible. Coming back on CLT-SEA it is highly variable but often very difficult. I see some families or business teams who appear to have bought a block of seats that brings the upgrade inventory way down. Thanks to no status match, I am crawling my way up, but likely next year I will not be flying AA so will all be for naught unless I can use it to status match back to whatever I need next year.

What's so bad about AA? For one, mileage earning is the pits, esp. compared to AS!
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by enviroian
Are you flying domestic? If so there is no business class, it's F.
Euphemistically, you are correct as it is commonly referred to as domestic first class. Technically it is business class as the fares codes are I, D, and J and is more appropriate designation IMO. On 3-class TCon there is A/F in the pointy end, in front of the I/D/J cabin.

AA made the change from A/F domestic first to I/D/J domestic business (still commonly referred to as first) a year or so ago much to the chagrin of those upgrading from economy as discounted first class A inventory was used for both mileage/SWU upgrades and paid discounted first class; and also those BAEC members who were getting more Avios and Tier points on AA domestic flights when paying for first class back then as they were usually A class instead of I or D class now. But AA is now better aligned with most of the rest of the world (san some ME and China airlines).

As far as getting upgrades, I usually book A and D RTW products but occasionally book short haul economy flights like Tuesday's DCA-JFK flight which as an AA Plat I actually got upgraded at 48 hours much to my surprise. I was totally expecting to travel in my bulkhead seat, but it is a very slow travel week. Flagship First dining and Flagship Lounge were both empty at JFK.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
In spite of the criticism, OP has a valid point.

Without any domestic upgrades, for someone who a) does limited revenue international travel and b) won't travel TATL or TPAC without a booked J seat, it comes down to fee waivers and international lounge access (I'd do better on lounge access domestically as lower tier BA elite than an ExPlat). Also, probably, priority during IRROPS.

The comments on "want F, buy F" are not on point. Give me reasons to choose AA consistently over B6 or DL if I'm buying F, and then it's on point. You won't make exec plat buying F if it's not on AA.

The marketing of the value of Exec Plat exceeds the reality. Good routing awards on AA are almost non-existent (certainly in J) and free upgrades isn't worth much on hub prime time routes. Ex Plat desk is a shadow of it's former self. Even the check-in priority has been reduced to those of a credit card holder (same line nowadays).

As far as the OPs question on what I do to maximize upgrades? I'm less than 50% YTD, I fly mostly LAX-MIA (monthly) . Only once cleared on a complimentary upgrade YTD, the rest were mile/copays. Since I have a bundle of miles (as I can't redeem them often), that's how I'm using them. But when the miles for upgrades run out (they drain very quickly at 30k per RT), I will run out too.
Catbert10 likes this.

Last edited by beachfan; Jul 5, 2018 at 10:51 am
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
In spite of the criticism, OP has a valid point.

Without any domestic upgrades, for someone who a) does limited revenue international travel and b) won't travel TATL or TPAC without a booked J seat, it comes down to fee waivers and international lounge access (I'd do better on lounge access domestically as lower tier BA elite than an ExPlat). Also, probably, priority during IRROPS.

The comments on "want F, buy F" are not on point. Give me reasons to choose AA consistently over B6 or DL if I'm buying F, and then it's on point. You won't make exec plat buying F if it's not on AA.

The marketing of the value of Exec Plat exceeds the reality. Good routing awards on AA are almost non-existent (certainly in J) and free upgrades isn't worth much on hub prime time routes. Ex Plat desk is a shadow of it's former self. Even the check-in priority has been reduced to those of a credit card holder (same line nowadays).

As far as the OPs question on what I do to maximize upgrades? I'm less than 50% YTD, I fly mostly LAX-MIA (monthly) . Only once cleared on a complimentary upgrade YTD, the rest were mile/copays. Since I have a bundle of miles (as I can't redeem them often), that's how I'm using them. But when the miles for upgrades run out (they drain very quickly at 30k per RT), I will run out too.
the ENTIRE AADVANTAGE PROGRAM is a shadow of it's former self
Catbert10 and Uzzar like this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Same thing is true with LGA-ORD on Monday mornings....I choose to avoid traveling with all the lemmings and just book a late morning or early afternoon flight and am always upgraded.
Yes. Sunday afternoon/Monday morning for LGA/ORD is a disaster
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Euphemistically, you are correct as it is commonly referred to as domestic first class. Technically it is business class as the fares codes are I, D, and J and is more appropriate designation IMO. On 3-class TCon there is A/F in the pointy end, in front of the I/D/J cabin.
The ironic part is AA advertises most of these flights as "First".
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
The ironic part is AA advertises most of these flights as "First".
To be fair, even if AA changed it to "Business", the real product is indeed "Premium Economy" (sometimes without IFE), except for 321T.

I don't see problem with want F buy F. ROW carrier is to leave F empty rather than upgrade, so UDU is at least something.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Dfw

I fly weekly DFW to LAX. Was CK for a year or so.

Upgrade rate as CK: 50%
upgrade now as EXP with 20k eqd: 15%
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors-Diamond, Marriott-Silver, SPG-Gold
After being EXP for 12 plus years I've given up on retaining status. I'm PLT for life as long as that perk exists and buy up to F when it's important to me. As many others have said the AAdvantage program is a skeleton of it's former self. Used to fly ORD-PHX weekly and before I became EXP even as a GLD or PLT I rarely missed an upgrade. Now that I'm based in PHX I get the pleasure of flying dirty, cramped old LUS planes with no chance of an UG. Luckily, for the most part, I can control how much I travel for work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.