Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it?

Link to oneworld web page “Emerald Privileges”

Executive Platinum status requirements: rack up 200,000 Loyalty Points in one calendar year

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

(Members NO LONGER must fly at least 4 American Airlines marketed segments during the qualifying year to receive elite status.)

Status will last the current status year and the following status year - earn EP during 2019, your status ends 31 Jan 2021.

Preferred benefits:
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats
  • Up to three (3) free checked bags with oneworld benefit, 32 kg / 70 lbs ea. (extends to all traveling companions same PNR)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee available[/color] (for EQM only as of 1 Aug 2016)
  • 100% elite mileage bonus (changed to 11 Award miles per "fare dollar" (base fare plus carrier fees, not taxes) spent as of 1 Aug 2016)
  • Guaranteed Main Cabin seat availability [/color] (up to 24 hrs from departure)
  • Systemwide Upgrades (see below)
  • First class lounge access qualifying longhaul international and MEX** (see below)

Airport benefits
  • Check in at First Class counter)
  • Priority Lane / Fast Track through the airport at check-in, security and boarding (link) (see post #472 - link)
  • Checked bag fee waived for three (3) bags up to 70 lb / 32 kg
  • Priority baggage delivery
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • Complimentary same-day flight change on American Airlines
  • Discounted Admirals Club® membership
  • Flagship Lounge and Admirals Club access on qualifying flights, regardless of class

Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • 100-hour upgrade window
  • Flights* 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades
  • Flights* over 500 miles: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • As of June 2017, Executive Platinum members can use their complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits on AAdvantage® award tickets for travel on American from Main Cabin to the next class."
  • Courtesy 500 mile Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 100 hours
  • *Upgrades on American are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Executive Platinum members DO NOT earn 500-mile upgrades.

Systemwide Upgrades (SWU)
You’ll receive four (4) systemwide upgrades (8 SWU years prior to c/y 2016 ) when you qualify or re-qualify for Executive Platinum status.
You may earn two more SWU at 150,000 EQM, and again at 200,000 EQM
SWU upgrades are valid, when available, for one-way travel on any American Airlines marketed and operated flight (up to 3 segments) and you can give them to anyone, even if you're not traveling with them.

Linkto further SWU information

Other benefits
  • Exclusive Executive Platinum service desk (actual separate dedicated call center staff)
  • Waived ticketing service charge
  • Guaranteed availability in the Main Cabin*
  • Waitlist priority for purchased First or Business Class (on American)
  • Complimentary alcoholic beverage and snack in the Main Cabin / coach (no, does not extend to traveling companion)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Two EP baggage tags
  • Exclusive partner offers

Award benefits
  • Extended MileSAAver award availability (must call EXP Desk, your FFN must be used during the award search, availability is not unlimited)
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within twenty-one days of travel)
  • AAdvantage award change and reinstatement charge waived (for awards reinstated to the EP member's account)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards

oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
  • oneworld priority security
  • oneworld partner lounge access** First Class and frequent flyer lounges
  • Extended 3 bags and weight (32 kg / 70 lbs ea.)

*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).
**AAdvantage member access to American Airlines lounges excluded (regardless of status or class of service) if traveling within North America or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Link to aa.com AAdvantage Elite Status benefit comparison charts

Link to aa.com [b]Elite Status Benefit Guide

Previous posts: Archive: Is EXP / Executive Platinum worth it? What are the benefits? (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by Stripe
I agree that it is silly to forego your EXP benefits to earn the lowest tier on another airline. The silver benefits are very minimal these days and you would be better off adding to your EQD and EQM totals, especially if you get near the threshold for additional SWUs.

(Then again, perhaps someone like me who will be fairly low on the EXP EQD totem pole should be encouraging others to keep their EQDs low too.)

At this time of year, after I have requalified, I typically look more closely at using my piles of miles on awards for personal trips. Like an upcoming AUS-DTW trip I got in F for 35K DL miles.
Totally agree. You're much better off just signing up for the credit card if you actually are going to have to fly those airlines only once in awhile because you'll get basically all the benefits of lowest tier status anyways. Delta amex comes in useful for priority boarding and no bag fee even though I don't have status with them anymore. Most DL silvers don't even get Comfort+ anymore anyways and don't even sniff the opportunity for an upgrade. And you'll get 25,000-50,000 redeemable miles to boot as a signon bonus

And agree with your awards approach for personal travel. Given I'll have 200k EQM on AA this year and will max out on SWUs, I'm booking cheap Alaska or DL domestic tickets for personal travel in 2H 2017 instead of shelling out $500-600 to cross the country on AA each time. My strategy is to focus my work travel on building up EQDs for upgrades and EQMs for the SWUs and then allow my personal travel to be on mixed airlines using award tickets and some paid tickets. It's crazy how much more expensive close-in domestic flying is than longhaul international is these days - I booked a last minute trip SFO-LAX-HKG // CGK-NRT // HND-LAX-SFO for $800 and all the airlines want $600+ for a weekend trip to Nashville in mid November.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA EP, Hyatt Globalist
Are companion snacks for EXP in econ free too?

My first year as EXP! Yay However, frustrated that companions don't get free upgrades + I don't earn 500 mile upgrades anymore.... really?? Super lame.

Anywho - I've traveled once in econ so far with my folks and they were given free snacks as was I, per the EXP free snack in econ benefit. I'm curious: is that official policy, or did I just get lucky? I know I get a free snack, but are my companions supposed to? I didn't have to ask or anything, FA just gave us all free snacks and didn't request payment (nice feeling - I've heard that it is a nightmare requesting, but it has been fine the few times for me on AA domestic econ).

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Congratulations!

As stated in the Wikipost at the top of the page,

Complimentary alcoholic beverage and snack in the Main Cabin / coach (no, does not extend to traveling companion)
Zacnlinc and thirstyg like this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
I was recently on a flight in Y and my exit seat mate felt snubbed by the FAs when meal service came around.

I was was greated each time by name when drinks and food were offered and no payments were requested. But when he was asked, it was always phased with wording making it clear that payments are expected and they never said his name.

So so at some point he just asked me about it all. He wasn't elite at all. He purchased the exit row seat for the extra space and figured I had to be an elite of some sort. He just wished he was offered free items thought. Told him "soon" that to be a truth and MCE people will have that as a perk as well. EXP perks are always being chipped away to the masses.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Told him "soon" that to be a truth and MCE people will have that as a perk as well. EXP perks are always being chipped away to the masses.
We're all just disposable customers after all, aren't we?

At least we still have Systemwide Upgrades. Of course, I see those being "enhanced" somehow in the future...
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
<redacted>

No change to Y--J> upgrade policy has been announced. And it is NOT a given that it will change in the way everyone fears it is going to.

Sure would be nice if people would stop posting this as if it were fact. Until there is an announcement.

Oh - and the introduction of Premium Economy is a service improvement - irrespective of what happens to SWUs.
zpaul likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 4, 2018 at 6:58 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content (content was incorrect)
Old Feb 4, 2018, 7:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts with blatantly incorrect information posted as fact have no place on FlyerTalk; they will be summarily deleted.

Old Feb 4, 2018, 7:06 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
I checked in yesterday at MIA and found my way to the lowly gold line. Not a long wait, but as we exited there were 3-4 times as many people in the Plat , ExPlat. First and Business lines that I beat time wise.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
I checked in yesterday at MIA and found my way to the lowly gold line. Not a long wait, but as we exited there were 3-4 times as many people in the Plat , ExPlat. First and Business lines that I beat time wise.
Seen that almost every other time in MIA. Even with the same number of pax in each queue, the EXP/F people always seem to check in all of their belongings and/or have issues with their reservation/s
Old May 21, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by onobond
Seen that almost every other time in MIA. Even with the same number of pax in each queue, the EXP/F people always seem to check in all of their belongings and/or have issues with their reservation/s
I think this is poor queue management by AA staff. If they care for their CK/EXP then they should clear
that line first before they start serving others....
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC
A good reminder today why EXP/OWE is worthwhile: the Admiral’s Club at CDG this morning was stuffed to the gills, but the CX lounge next door was a peaceful oasis. Enjoyed some nice made-to-order wonton soup and excellent plane watching.
JDiver and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Possibly the best benefit of EXP is guaranteed Y seat on a sold out flight. I have needed to use this benefit twice in the past year and it has been a lifesaver. Yes, it is at Y full fare, but when you need to get on a flight- the EXP desk will get you a seat.
JDiver, Zacnlinc and zip10001 like this.

Last edited by GunsOfNavarone; Jun 10, 2018 at 4:26 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
Possibly the best benefit of EXP is guaranteed Y seat on a sold out flight. I have needed to use this benefit twice in the past year and it has been a lifesaver. Yes, it is at Y full fare, but when you need to get on a flight- the EXP desk will get you a seat.
is there a time limit on this benefit? IE my United flight cancels and there is an AA flight departing in 45 mins. Also is it offered on mainline only?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:59 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nismo240ssx
is there a time limit on this benefit? IE my United flight cancels and there is an AA flight departing in 45 mins. Also is it offered on mainline only?
24 hours prior to the flight.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nismo240ssx
IIRC. It is 24 hours in advance at the minimum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.