Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
Airport Upgrade and Standby Order, Priority “PALL” List
Questions, Upgrade Anomalies, Issues, etc.
NOTE: Complimentary upgrades are now ordered based on (1) Status, (2) 12 month rolling Loyalty Points, (3) Time and date of upgrade request.

NOTE: As of 1 Jan 2017, your travel companion will "borrow" your PALL listing. Link.

Main PALL list codes. Passengers are ordered by code, then elite status, then other factors. Additional codes may be entered to designate other information, such as companions traveling together.
  • OS# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • RF = Confirmed First Class passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • DSR# = Standby First Class passenger, confirmed in Economy. Usually used for involuntary downgrades of paid First passengers.
  • VIP# = Passenger awaiting a SWU upgrade.
  • MLG# = Passenger awaiting a mileage and copay upgrade. This may be the same priority as VIP, i.e. VIP1 = MLG1, VIP2 = MLG2, etc.
  • UPG# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting a complimentary, or elite sticker upgrade. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by 12 month rolling loyalty points followed by time and date of upgrade request.
  • RI# = Revenue involuntary standby passenger (bumped from another flight due to oversold condition or travel disruptions). Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV# = Revenue voluntary standby passenger. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV = Non-status revenue passengers on voluntary standby, and certain staff travel.
  • D% = Non-revenue standby passenger (AA employees, family, and friends), where % is an additional number code pertaining to the type of pass and not related to elite status. See the Staff Travel / Buddy Pass Thread.
  • VOL = Volunteer for bump to a later flight. Passengers are ordered by time of volunteering (first come-first served).
  • DG = Passenger with involuntary (or voluntary) downgrade in class-of-service.
  • RL = "Flat Tire Rule" passenger missing a flight through no fault of their own or AA (L=Late, in this case). Note that in some circumstances, AA may offer a confirmed seat on a later flight instead.
  • -T = Through passenger - Addition of this suffix gives priority over other passengers in the same status group, overriding normal time-based ranking. This suffix is supposed to be used for passengers connecting from another flight.
Status indicator numbers UPG/VIP (#) = 1 = Concierge Key; 2 = Executive Platinum; 3 = Platinum Pro; 4 = Platinum, 5 = Gold; no number = no status (e.g. UPG2/VIP2 for EP).

C/o sensei:

The following UPG priority levels are now in effect:
  • UPG1/VIP1 Concierge Key
  • UPG2/VIP2 Executive Platinum
  • UPG3/VIP3 Platinum Pro
  • UPG4/VIP4 Platinum
  • UPG5/VIP5 Gold
  • UPG/VIP No status
UPGC is used for operational upgrades

Revenue Standbys are cleared in the following order:
  • RIT (involuntary, transit)
  • RI (involuntary)
  • RV (voluntary)
  • RL (late)
*Numbers corresponding to elite status will determine the order of the passengers within each category.

All revenue standbys are cleared before any non-revenue standbys

Older posts have been archived to this thread.
Print Wikipost

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Hi there,

I had requested for a SWU upgrade for domestic LAX-BOS flight. It cleared at
the gate yesterday. How do I know if the upgrade was cleared as a FREE EXP
upgrade or SWU was used ? Is there any way to know or just have to wait to
see the SWU balance ?

Update: I found my BP and it says "R" so I am assuming SWU was not used !

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by flyalways; Jan 27, 2017 at 7:02 am
Old Jan 27, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by flyalways
Hi there,

I had requested for a SWU upgrade for domestic LAX-BOS flight. It cleared at
the gate yesterday. How do I know if the upgrade was cleared as a FREE EXP
upgrade or SWU was used ? Is there any way to know or just have to wait to
see the SWU balance ?

Update: I found my BP and it says "R" so I am assuming SWU was not used !

Thanks in advance...
Would not assume, since airport-cleared SWU's have certificates deducted manually, sometimes well after the flight. Call and find out. EXP agent should be able to pull up PALL list for flight and see whether you were cleared as VIP2 (SWU) or UPG2 (free).
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DoctorORD
Would not assume, since airport-cleared SWU's have certificates deducted manually, sometimes well after the flight. Call and find out. EXP agent should be able to pull up PALL list for flight and see whether you were cleared as VIP2 (SWU) or UPG2 (free).
Ok. Isn't fare code R on the BP enough to know this ? Just curious...
Old Feb 3, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EXP (4 MM)
I purchased a Biz fare and then upgraded to First using SWU on the transcon from JFK-SFO. Is it possible to standby for an earlier flight and if so am I standing by for my original Biz fare availability or SWU upgrade in First?
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
If you've already cleared into F, you'll standby for F. And you'll clear before anyone looking to upgrade.
I would make sure you say hello to the gate agents before boarding so that they're aware they need to save you a seat. I only mention that because I've seen them go through the upgrade list and forget about standbys in F since most RV standby pax are in Y or J.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
Are companions really "borrowing" status?

I had an agent at the DFW Admirals Club insist to me this morning that my no-status companion would not take my status on the upgrade list (waitlisted to apply an SWU).

Sure enough, one seat opened this afternoon and she was bypassed.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP (4 MM)
Originally Posted by sombrachinesca
I had an agent at the DFW Admirals Club insist to me this morning that my no-status companion would not take my status on the upgrade list (waitlisted to apply an SWU).

Sure enough, one seat opened this afternoon and she was bypassed.
That's disappointing. Same happened to me, I was flying with my sister to Hawaii via LAX out of JFK. I was using SWU for the both of us. For some inexplicable reason my sister had my EXP status from JFK-LAX, and we both upgraded at the gate. But, the second leg from LAX-LIH my sister was in group 3. I talked to the GA in LAX, made sure they knew I was flying with a companion, but although I was number 2 on the list and there were 3 seats that were upgraded they would not process me and my sister. I wrote to customer service and received a personal call within a few hours (a first in almost 20 years flying AA, mostly as an EXP flyer). They had researched what happened at LAX and said they dropped the ball, that new rules do allow me and one companion to fly with my status and that a review of the upgrade list confirmed what I had written about. They gave me a chunk of customer service miles, apologized, and promised to do better. So, yes, you are supposed to be able to travel with one companion and that companion shares your elite status.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by johnbrooklyn
... I talked to the GA in LAX ... they would not process me and my sister. I wrote to customer service and received a personal call ... said they dropped the ball, that new rules do allow me and one companion to fly with my status and that a review of the upgrade list confirmed what I had written about ...
Hopefully the "GA in LAX" received a re-education as well.

This shows that CS should be contacted (pleasantly) whenever there is such a perceived failure in processing.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by johnbrooklyn
...said they dropped the ball, that new rules do allow me and one companion to fly with my status .
Depending on what they meant by that, conflicts with their public statement on the matter. Although, really, such a mishmash, I probably can't even make that statement confidently.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.8MM AC; UA Silver; Hyatt Globalist; Honors Diamond; Bonvoy LT TTM
I feel like I remember one of the new benefits for EXP this year was going to be complimentary upgrades for EXP on economy award tickets. Does anyone else remember that? I haven't seen any information on such a benefit recently.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bcm0830
I feel like I remember one of the new benefits for EXP this year was going to be complimentary upgrades for EXP on economy award tickets. Does anyone else remember that? I haven't seen any information on such a benefit recently.
It's been announced, effective later this year
Old Feb 6, 2017, 1:05 pm

I am EXP. I am currently on Flt 637 departing LAS to PHX at 7:35PM tonight. Yesterday evening, I called the EXP desk and requested to use miles and copay to get a FC seat on Flt 1340. I was unable to do so, and the agent said that I would be put on the waitlist. I was told that the only way I would not get on the flight is if someone paid the full fare for the ticket.

This morning, I arrive at the airport. They tell me that I am #1 on the standby list. The waitlist list did not clear. I again called the EXP desk asking for clarification on how things work. I was told that at T-24 or less, the waitlist is handled by the airport agents.

Now, here is where there was mass confusion. Flt 1340 was oversold. In the middle of boarding (and not at the beginning), an announcement was made asking for volunteers and offering vouchers. One person took this offer. Meanwhile, the agents boarded 5 people from the "BX" list. What is the BX list? And then, on my app, there was a standby customer who was cleared. I was #1, and he was #9! After the flight left, the 3 gate agents could not figure out what happened. They were trying to "find the missing passenger", or there was possibly an empty seat?!?

So, my questions are, what is the BX list? Is it possible the flight left with an empty seat? And why would the standby list show a passenger cleared, that was farther down below me, when I should have had priority? There were talking about clearing PRS also? What is that?

Any information is appreciated, as the gate agents were curt (and clueless, imo).

(I also posted this is the Standby thread. I am not sure which one is most appropriate).

Now it happened again. I am #3 on the standby list, but passenger #12 and #14 have been cleared already! What is the point of the standby list on the AA app if it is not accurate?
Attached Images  

Last edited by tbone14; Feb 6, 2017 at 5:36 pm
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
The Standby list is NOT the same as the Upgrade list. Totally different purposes.
If the flight was full/oversold, the people cleared from Standby were jump seat qualified, meaning they didn't get real seats on the plane, but are sharing the jump seats with FAs.

I don't know why they couldn't or didn't explain this to you at the airport.
No one stole your upgrade, there were no F seats available to begin with.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by YtravelF
The Standby list is NOT the same as the Upgrade list. Totally different purposes.
If the flight was full/oversold, the people cleared from Standby were jump seat qualified, meaning they didn't get real seats on the plane, but are sharing the jump seats with FAs.

I don't know why they couldn't or didn't explain this to you at the airport.
No one stole your upgrade, there were no F seats available to begin with.
Sorry, I was not clear in my initial post. I had originally tried to get a confirmed seat (in FC). Once this was no longer possible, I was just trying to make any flight and go standby.

Is that the only way someone lower on the standby list is cleared then? If they are crew members who use a jumpseat?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Both standbys who cleared were crew who took jumpseats.
No revenue standbys cleared at all. And no employees who weren't jumpseat-qualified cleared

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.