Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
Airport Upgrade and Standby Order, Priority “PALL” List
Questions, Upgrade Anomalies, Issues, etc.
NOTE: Complimentary upgrades are now ordered based on (1) Status, (2) 12 month rolling Loyalty Points, (3) Time and date of upgrade request.

NOTE: As of 1 Jan 2017, your travel companion will "borrow" your PALL listing. Link.

Main PALL list codes. Passengers are ordered by code, then elite status, then other factors. Additional codes may be entered to designate other information, such as companions traveling together.
  • OS# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • RF = Confirmed First Class passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • DSR# = Standby First Class passenger, confirmed in Economy. Usually used for involuntary downgrades of paid First passengers.
  • VIP# = Passenger awaiting a SWU upgrade.
  • MLG# = Passenger awaiting a mileage and copay upgrade. This may be the same priority as VIP, i.e. VIP1 = MLG1, VIP2 = MLG2, etc.
  • UPG# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting a complimentary, or elite sticker upgrade. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by 12 month rolling loyalty points followed by time and date of upgrade request.
  • RI# = Revenue involuntary standby passenger (bumped from another flight due to oversold condition or travel disruptions). Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV# = Revenue voluntary standby passenger. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV = Non-status revenue passengers on voluntary standby, and certain staff travel.
  • D% = Non-revenue standby passenger (AA employees, family, and friends), where % is an additional number code pertaining to the type of pass and not related to elite status. See the Staff Travel / Buddy Pass Thread.
  • VOL = Volunteer for bump to a later flight. Passengers are ordered by time of volunteering (first come-first served).
  • DG = Passenger with involuntary (or voluntary) downgrade in class-of-service.
  • RL = "Flat Tire Rule" passenger missing a flight through no fault of their own or AA (L=Late, in this case). Note that in some circumstances, AA may offer a confirmed seat on a later flight instead.
  • -T = Through passenger - Addition of this suffix gives priority over other passengers in the same status group, overriding normal time-based ranking. This suffix is supposed to be used for passengers connecting from another flight.
Status indicator numbers UPG/VIP (#) = 1 = Concierge Key; 2 = Executive Platinum; 3 = Platinum Pro; 4 = Platinum, 5 = Gold; no number = no status (e.g. UPG2/VIP2 for EP).

C/o sensei:

The following UPG priority levels are now in effect:
  • UPG1/VIP1 Concierge Key
  • UPG2/VIP2 Executive Platinum
  • UPG3/VIP3 Platinum Pro
  • UPG4/VIP4 Platinum
  • UPG5/VIP5 Gold
  • UPG/VIP No status
UPGC is used for operational upgrades

Revenue Standbys are cleared in the following order:
  • RIT (involuntary, transit)
  • RI (involuntary)
  • RV (voluntary)
  • RL (late)
*Numbers corresponding to elite status will determine the order of the passengers within each category.

All revenue standbys are cleared before any non-revenue standbys

Older posts have been archived to this thread.
Print Wikipost

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sensei

UPG1/VIP1 Concierge Key
UPG2/VIP2 Executive Platinum
UPG3/VIP3 Platinum Pro
UPG4/VIP4 Platinum
UPG5/VIP5 Gold

A notable difference is that SWU requests now have status levels other than just VIP1.
Nice! Had seen (and I -think- posted(?) this):

The numeric suffixes added to priority list codes (VIP/UPG/OS/RI/RV) will be changing with the addition of the ConciergeKey and Platinum Pro tiers. Effective January 1, the suffixes will be:

1 - ConciergeKey
2 - Executive Platinum
3 - Platinum Pro
4 - Platinum
5 - Gold
(no suffix) - no status

Also effective January 1, companions of an elite member will receive the same priority on the PALL list as the elite member.
But wasn't sure if they really were applying to all codes-- that's a great improvement for people flying on other people's SWU's.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

UPG1/VIP1 Concierge Key
UPG2/VIP2 Executive Platinum
UPG3/VIP3 Platinum Pro
UPG4/VIP4 Platinum
UPG5/VIP5 Gold

A notable difference is that SWU requests now have status levels other than just VIP1.
Domo arigatou, sensei and JonNYC, for the updated information and to sensei for adding to the Wikipost. ^
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Are you able to elaborate on this?

Does it mean a PLAT's SWU request is lower in the order than an EXP's complinentary upgrade request? If so, how would it be annotated?

(Thankyou for the information by the way.)
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by serfty

Does it mean a PLAT's SWU request is lower in the order than an EXP's complinentary upgrade request? If so, how would it be annotated?

Hi there,

Yes...Can you please clarify ? Is it ...

UPG-1
VIP-1
UPG-2
VIP-2

In that order ?

I have recently applied and wait-listed SWU to domestic flights.
If I am only competing with other EXP SWUs then I may be able to
take a chance and save my SWU for possible use in February :-)

Also on that note, can the EXP agent tell me how many EXP
SWUs are wait-listed for my flight ?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:40 pm
Suspended

I'd say that the plat is VIP4 and therefore below the EXP's UPG2
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Correct. An EP's complimentary upgrade request will always trump a Platinum's request on the PALL (except in companion situations). In my experience, VIP and UPG have had the exact same priority for quite some time and only the timestamp and/or Y/B exception made a difference. SWU and mileage upgrades don't have priority over complimentary upgrades.

However, previously SWU requests fell into only two categories: VIP1 (EPs) and VIP (everyone else). So a non-status passenger with a gifted SWU could have had priority over a Platinum if they made the request before the Platinum. Now, the Platinum would always have priority as a VIP4.

Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:06 pm

Hello, JonNYC or someone, when does an employee have access to the PALL list? For upgrade purposes we don't know until four hour before departure were we are on the list. But how long before does an employee have access to that information of where one might be on the list?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Quick question. Does it matter when the upgrade was requested for the companion to borrow status?

I'm booked on an TATL with a companion no status, bought the tickets last month and requested the upgrade last month. Now that it's 2017, my companion should borrow my status on the PALL list right?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Sdaniturb
Hello, JonNYC or someone, when does an employee have access to the PALL list? For upgrade purposes we don't know until four hour before departure were we are on the list. But how long before does an employee have access to that information of where one might be on the list?
I believe it's 72 hours before departure, when the flight is initialized.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
On an award ticket where the international legs are ticketed in business (U and business mileage charged) and the USA domestic leg is ticketed in economy (X) - how does one ensure that the proper status (DSR ??) is obtained on the airport list (assuming U never appears prior to issuance of the boarding passes - perhaps 18 hours earlier)?

Or have I missed something (a lot) ....

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
On an award ticket where the international legs are ticketed in business (U and business mileage charged) and the USA domestic leg is ticketed in economy (X) - how does one ensure that the proper status (DSR ??) is obtained on the airport list (assuming U never appears prior to issuance of the boarding passes - perhaps 18 hours earlier)?

Or have I missed something (a lot) ....

Happy wandering

Fred
Ask at check-in, club (if you have access), and gate.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:41 am

How do companions PALL work? Is it only one companion? And does it have to be the same PNR? Also, what priority is a nonstatus passenger with SWU?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
I believe it's 72 hours before departure, when the flight is initialized.
Thanks for that answer! Only thing is, I -feel- like I've been sent lists for flights more than 72 hours out, I have to go back and check-- I think most specifically when I was looking for info on various recent inaugural flights. Does that sound possible? (I have to go back and look, possibly it -was- pretty much exactly at 72 hours.)
Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Correct. An EP's complimentary upgrade request will always trump a Platinum's request on the PALL (except in companion situations). In my experience, VIP and UPG have had the exact same priority for quite some time and only the timestamp and/or Y/B exception made a difference. SWU and mileage upgrades don't have priority over complimentary upgrades.

However, previously SWU requests fell into only two categories: VIP1 (EPs) and VIP (everyone else). So a non-status passenger with a gifted SWU could have had priority over a Platinum if they made the request before the Platinum. Now, the Platinum would always have priority as a VIP4.
Can you clarify this for me please ? If a SWU request is wait-listed for EXP and
he is going to clear just as a VIP, will AA not use the SWU ?

Thanks in advance...
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by flyalways
Can you clarify this for me please ? If a SWU request is wait-listed for EXP and
he is going to clear just as a VIP, will AA not use the SWU ?

Thanks in advance...
VIP=SWU
UPG=500mi "sticker"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.