Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Elite Status Match by American Airlines (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite Status Match by American Airlines (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by kcjmac
Similar situation here. Just signed up by calling AAdvantage customer service at 1 800-882-8880. They won't let you match, but I signed up to challenge for PLAT. Must earn 10,000 points in 90 days and there is a fee for signing up ($200, a bit less if your challenge starts after 3/31). Also, ask for GOLD status while you are challenging. I did and the agent cheerfully granted it.

Good luck,
KCJMAC
Great. Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: Airlines - QF, BD, JL, UA. Hotels - PCR, MR
Question: During a status challenge, does the requirement to fly a minimum of four segments on AA/US apply? (i.e. For a PLT challenge, I need to get 10,000 EQPs which includes a minimum of four segments on AA/US)
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Likely UA 1K refugee here. Anyone know my current status match / challenge options for moving to AA from UA? Is matching/challenging to EXP possible?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by raehl311
Likely UA 1K refugee here. Anyone know my current status match / challenge options for moving to AA from UA? Is matching/challenging to EXP possible?
Another likely candidate, here!
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Call AAdvantage customer service at +1 800-882-8880. You can ask and tell us what they say; you don't have to start on the day that you first call.

This is well-documented but a moving target. I've seen no very recent accounts. The most recent ones sent in proof of 1K and a statement, then found out their offer, with the clock starting as soon as AA called back the next day to confirm. (So don't send in proof till you're ready!) The offers are likely to vary; not wanting to make a $12K spend next year on UA doesn't make you that attractive to AA either. You'll need to qualify on points not miles, which means higher fare classes, perhaps double the lowest fares. I'm pricing a challenge as costing me $3,000 to $4,000 on my normal route, over half of which I'd be paying anyway.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Syzygies
The offers are likely to vary; not wanting to make a $12K spend next year on UA doesn't make you that attractive to AA either.
There's a difference between not making $12k spend and not wanting to make that spend on United... I'm in the latter category.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA 1.5K MM/SPG Plat/Various Random Golds lol
There's a difference between not making $12k spend and not wanting to make that spend on United... I'm in the latter category.
Same here. I'm an easy $15k+ spend wherever I end up. It's not the challenge, it's the route map and overall service of the airline.

I've been flying probably 80% of my miles on UA, but as their routemap shrinks in Asia (no more BKK for example), and as the company I work for expands into the Middle East/Arabian Peninsula...AA is looking more attractive by the day! (Qatar Airways for example being in OneWorld).

I just don't want to fly half the year in Y to get the status!

hmmm...I'll keep an eye on the thread. I am already starting to book travel in 2015, which would/could be on AA.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Bingo. Me too.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Most of the 1K status match discussion is in this thread:
AA offers UA elite status matches / challenges (consolidated)

The most recent reports there are that AA is still requiring accrual of 25,000 points (NOT miles) in 90 days for 1K flyers that want EXP status.

Tom in Washington, D.C.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JSlo
Same here. I'm an easy $15k+ spend wherever I end up. It's not the challenge, it's the route map and overall service of the airline.

I've been flying probably 80% of my miles on UA, but as their routemap shrinks in Asia (no more BKK for example), and as the company I work for expands into the Middle East/Arabian Peninsula...AA is looking more attractive by the day! (Qatar Airways for example being in OneWorld).

I just don't want to fly half the year in Y to get the status!

hmmm...I'll keep an eye on the thread. I am already starting to book travel in 2015, which would/could be on AA.
You have "AA ExecPlat" listed in your profile-- assuming that means you've been EXP on AA before, you're chances of getting a EXP challenge are very small.

As for others, I recently asked someone whom I consider to be quite authoritative in this area "what % of these UA defectors are likely to be offered EXP challenge/match vs. just being told to sign up for Plat challenge at this juncture" and the answer was "10% or less."
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA 1.5K MM/SPG Plat/Various Random Golds lol
Originally Posted by JonNYC
You have "AA ExecPlat" listed in your profile-- assuming that means you've been EXP on AA before, you're chances of getting a EXP challenge are very small.

As for others, I recently asked someone whom I consider to be quite authoritative in this area "what % of these UA defectors are likely to be offered EXP challenge/match vs. just being told to sign up for Plat challenge at this juncture" and the answer was "10% or less."
Oh wow I should update my profile...haven't flown enough on AA since 2011 to keep that high of status. Since UA has slowly devalued, my miles are kind of split now between all three US legacy carriers and a variety of intl carrier, although I do manage to fly enough out of DEN on UA to keep 1K status.

I will call AA and see what options I have. If nothing is available, I'll do it the ol' fashioned way and earn it.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JSlo
Oh wow I should update my profile...haven't flown enough on AA since 2011 to keep that high of status. Since UA has slowly devalued, my miles are kind of split now between all three US legacy carriers and a variety of intl carrier, although I do manage to fly enough out of DEN on UA to keep 1K status.

I will call AA and see what options I have. If nothing is available, I'll do it the ol' fashioned way and earn it.
Remember, Platinum challenge is available to anyone for the fee and will get you to Plat very quickly.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat Exec
Status match from a Delta Diamond member

I am flying pretty much every week from SFO to CLT. I really enjoy Delta's product and was willing to fly 1-stop until now. With the new 2015 mileage accrual rules based solely on the airfare, I will go from ~12,000miles/week to less than 7,000.

So I am looking for a new carrier! Few questions on the AA FF program:
- is there any ways to do a status match without having to a pay a fee?
- how would you rank AA's program compared to DL's program (pro's and con's)?
- is it planned for the AA FF program to align itself with the UA and DL way of earning miles, solely on the ticket fare?
- how easy is it to redeem miles? Delta is famous for the insane number of miles it takes to go anywhere at any point of time, is AA/US in par with UA for award redemption?

Thank you
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by sorka
So I am looking for a new carrier! Few questions on the AA FF program:
- is there any ways to do a status match without having to a pay a fee?
As a rule, no. However, if you call AA and explain your flying habits, interest, etc.. they *may* make an exception.

- how would you rank AA's program compared to DL's program (pro's and con's)?
A quick search of AA v. DL yields a lot of results on this topic.

- is it planned for the AA FF program to align itself with the UA and DL way of earning miles, solely on the ticket fare?
they haven't announced for 2015 - so if AAdvantage were to go that route, it wouldn't seemingly happen until 2016 and impact 2017 status levels

- how easy is it to redeem miles? Delta is famous for the insane number of miles it takes to go anywhere at any point of time, is AA/US in par with UA for award redemption?\
It used to be quite easy - but getting more difficult; I'm still able to find what I want for my family w/some advance planning and schedule flexbility
Old Nov 22, 2014, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A similar threads on a common topic:-
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...perks-etc.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...jump-ship.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...f-program.html

And 1 going the other way http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ove-ua-dl.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.