Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Elite Status Match by American Airlines (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite Status Match by American Airlines (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2011, 5:49 am

Programs: EXP- finally
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Yes, that's what happened in my case.
+1 with EXP desk 2 weeks ago, and plt desk last year, both for kids
Old Feb 13, 2011, 9:12 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Here's a question: if your Dad is CK, why are you entitled to anything? AFAIK, CK is not a family program. (unless you often travel with him)
I travel with him occassionally (not enough though ). You are correct, CK is an individual and not a family or household program.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 4:06 pm

Programs: United 1k, SPG Plat & Ambassador, ClubCarlson Concierge
Just emailed AAdvantage via the contact section of the site to inquire about my status match. 30 minutes later i got a response w/ my new Plat Status :-D (Matched from CO Gold)
Old Feb 14, 2011, 7:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by Flyinace2000
Just emailed AAdvantage via the contact section of the site to inquire about my status match. 30 minutes later i got a response w/ my new Plat Status :-D (Matched from CO Gold)
Does your company have travel agreement with AA?

Other than in that situation, status matches are almost unheard of on AA. Would you mind telling us what you specifically asked for in your message, if anything other than that you are a CO Gold?
Old Feb 14, 2011, 7:57 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP
Hi, Im a DL Diamond and do about 325,000 BIS a year. I am ATL based but AA has a sunday flight that works for my LAX run every week.

Q1. What's the collective wisdom on what level AA will status match if any.
Q2. What are chances of upgrades from ATL to DFW and DFW to LAX for a PLat or EXP.

I am looking to spread the love this year and AA looks like a good fit as I do 5X South America and 5X SYD as well.

Thanks.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dean1121
Hi, Im a DL Diamond and do about 325,000 BIS a year. I am ATL based but AA has a sunday flight that works for my LAX run every week.

Q1. What's the collective wisdom on what level AA will status match if any.
Q2. What are chances of upgrades from ATL to DFW and DFW to LAX for a PLat or EXP.

I am looking to spread the love this year and AA looks like a good fit as I do 5X South America and 5X SYD as well.

Thanks.
Historically, AA will allow you to Challenge to PLAT status. Apparently, though I've not seen any posts indicating it, some have recently had some success with a challenge to EXP status. I would count on being able to challenge to PLAT to get you going quickly and then working your way to EXP with BIS miles. Though you may get a chance to challenge to EXP, I would consider it very rare.

Good luck though. With that many miles you could easily keep top status on multiple airlines and pick the ones that work best for you. I'm only around 100-120k/year so not enough for dual-status.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:56 pm

Oh, and remember that for flights to SYD, AA status doesn't get you much since you'd be on Qantas. You can't use your miles or SWUs (assuming EXP) to get you upgraded on those flights. You can redeem miles on those flights, but if you've got work paying for the flights then that doesn't help much. Although, if you've got work paying for those flights in Biz or above then its a nice way to accrue more miles.

For South America, you'd probably be pretty happy with AA. I don't know how Delta's fleet ranks in terms of seat arrangements. American has angle-flat seats in J on the 763 and 777 that typically fly to South America. I don't know if Delta has true lie-flat seats in J for those same flights.

All that said, I really like American and the EXP benefits. I've no temptations to switch to another FF program currently.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by mikelat
Historically, AA will allow you to Challenge to PLAT status. Apparently, though I've not seen any posts indicating it, some have recently had some success with a challenge to EXP status. I would count on being able to challenge to PLAT to get you going quickly and then working your way to EXP with BIS miles. Though you may get a chance to challenge to EXP, I would consider it very rare.
FYI, AA recently gave me an EXP challenge (25,000 points in 3 months), so it is definitely possible.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by sensei
FYI, AA recently gave me an EXP challenge (25,000 points in 3 months), so it is definitely possible.
Thanks. Yours is the first post I've seen confirming this possibility.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, DL PM, SPG Plat
It seems that AA is giving out status matches to EXP - I'm an AA PLT and a DL PM who recently moved from NYC to the DC area and have achieved 1K, however, I wanted to try to come back to AA and they said that it was possible for me to match to EXP (no challenge at all) but that I would not receive eVIP's for this year; I'm waiting to hear back from them if there is a challenge or anything at all I can do that would allow me the use of eVIP's.....I only want to come back because I miss oneworld (BA,CX, and LAN particularly) and those eVIP's are necessary to get out of those awful slanted NGBC seats!
Old Feb 19, 2011, 6:27 pm

But with the state of things at AA the real question is why would one want to go out of their way and ask to shop at WalMart ?
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by the artist formerly known as prince
It seems that AA is giving out status matches to EXP - I'm an AA PLT and a DL PM who recently moved from NYC to the DC area and have achieved 1K, however, I wanted to try to come back to AA and they said that it was possible for me to match to EXP (no challenge at all) but that I would not receive eVIP's for this year; I'm waiting to hear back from them if there is a challenge or anything at all I can do that would allow me the use of eVIP's.....I only want to come back because I miss oneworld (BA,CX, and LAN particularly) and those eVIP's are necessary to get out of those awful slanted NGBC seats!
This makes sense to me. I'm surprised that they'd even do a match to EXP without a challenge. But, the eVIPs being held back for those that earn the EXP status makes sense. When I matched to CO I didn't receive any upgrade certifcates/SWUs/whatever. Just the status. In the end, AA works better for me so it was a good business decision by CO to hold those benefits back for those that earned the status.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by mikelat
This makes sense to me. I'm surprised that they'd even do a match to EXP without a challenge. But, the eVIPs being held back for those that earn the EXP status makes sense. When I matched to CO I didn't receive any upgrade certifcates/SWUs/whatever. Just the status. In the end, AA works better for me so it was a good business decision by CO to hold those benefits back for those that earned the status.
I get matching to EXP and not giving SWU, but logically AA would still give SWU to those who are matched and then actually end up qualifying, right?
Old Feb 23, 2011, 9:22 am

Confirmed that AA is now Status Matching

So I just spoke with someone at AAdvantage CS with the goal of starting a plat challenge. I asked if she would confer temporary gold status as I am a CO Plat, and she said that was an old promotion but she would look into it. She came back and said that she would be able to offer me a status match without a fee, though whether it would be to AA Plat or EXP wasn't clear. Here is the email she sent me:

Thanks for speaking with me today about the special opportunity we are offering for you to obtain American Airlines AAdvantageŽ elite status without meeting the standard qualification requirements. In order to proceed, please provide us with documentation reflecting the elite status level you have in the frequent flier program we discussed.

This documentation must reflect your name and elite status level for the 2011 Membership Year and could be in the form of a dated elite membership card or a copy or screen shot of your most recent account summary. In addition, please provide your AAdvantage number and your preferred phone number in case follow-up is necessary.

If you wish to email this documentation back to us, please be sure to "Reply" to this message - and for prompt service, do not change the subject line. Simply include a copy of your documentation in any of the following formats, not to exceed 1 mb:

.pdf
.tif
.jpg
.bmp

If you prefer not to send us email, you may FAX copies of your documentation to (817) 963-7882. Be sure to include your AAdvantage number and your preferred phone number.

Please note it is not necessary to send us both an email and a FAX - one or the other will be sufficient. In either case, you can expect to hear from us within approximately one week of receipt of your credentials.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard your next American Airlines flight - as a valued elite member with all of the benefits and privileges that status affords. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

-redacted-
AAdvantage Customer Service
Old Feb 23, 2011, 9:27 am

I'm sorry but I may have missed something here - " she would be able to offer me a status match without a fee " ?

Fee ? A fee for the privelege of increasing their income ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.