Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA policy: One can inherit / transfer miles due to death or divorce (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
What happens to AAdvantage miles in case of death (or divorce)?

AA states they actually own the miles and they are not transferable other than paid means offered by their affiliates. However, as provided by the AAdvantage Terms and Conditions, AA miles can in fact be transferred through a will or in divorce proceedings, with the consent of American Airlines. Specific forms (including an affidavit) must be filled out, and copies of death certificate, decree etc. must be provided with filled out forms. For necessary forms, contact AAdvantage Customer Service (link), Open weekdays 7-7 Central time) for further assistance and forms.

Earning AAdvantage miles

...Except as otherwise explained below, mileage credit is not transferable and may not be combined among AAdvantage members, their estates, successors or assigns. Accrued mileage credit and award tickets do not constitute property of the member. Neither accrued mileage, nor award tickets, nor status, nor upgrades are transferable by the member (i) upon death, (ii) as part of a domestic relations matter, or (iii) otherwise by operation of law. However, American Airlines, in its sole discretion, may credit accrued mileage to persons specifically identified in court approved divorce decrees and wills upon receipt of documentation satisfactory to American Airlines and upon payment of any applicable fees. (Link).

Note: AA no longer charges for this.
Members have previously posted they have successfully moved miles from the account of a decedent to that of a designated heir. Others have posted about divorce decrees specifying miles transfers as part of a settlement.

The moderator can verify the definitive post in this thread is from the archive:

Originally Posted by Island
...You have been given all of the correct information. Your first call to customer service will provide that the affidavit and instructions be sent to you, aong (sic) with a return envelope. Complete the affidavit, provide a DC (death certificate) the fee, mail and the miles will be transferred in short time.

Note: no fee is charged.
See Posts #41 and #68.

From a NY Times article, courtesy of BOSOGG:

Airlines That Allow Transfers (after death)

AMERICAN

Kudos to American for having a clear, consistent policy: AAdvantage miles can be transferred out of a deceased member’s account to a beneficiary’s AAdvantage account. In April, American even dropped the $50 fee it used to charge for some transfers. On request, the airline will send a packet with an affidavit the beneficiary should fill out, indicating whose account should receive the miles; it should be signed by the surviving spouse, the sole heir or the executor of the estate. A copy of the death certificate must also be submitted (but doesn’t have to be certified, which is also the case with most airlines). Michael Maldonado, an American spokesman, said transfer requests are processed within seven business days.
Older and obsolete posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA miles: Can transfer due to death or divorce? (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

AA policy: One can inherit / transfer miles due to death or divorce (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2021, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK - some gory details on how to go about it (thanks to JDiver.

1. Call the AAdvantage customer service line - 800-888-8880.
2. You will be connected to a voice who wants to help you with reservations. Pay no attention to that man.
3. Every time he asks a question, respond with "Agent".
4. After a couple of these, he gets the idea and transfers you to a live human.

In my case, it was a very pleasant and helpful young lady. Have all your info at hand - AA account numbers, SS numbers, birth dates, email addresses, etc.

They will send you an email with some instructions and a form they tell you to print out and fill in. I just copied the form to Word, and then I could type in all the information needed (avoiding any errors due to my sloppy hand writing). Printed it out and signed it, and then sent it off (along with a copy of the death certificate) as attachments to the reply to that email.

Got a response acknowledging receipt very shortly and that was it.

They tell you it will take 7-10 days, but I'm not in that big of a hurry.
onanisland likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Just to point out, wills have no bearing on airline FF accounts. (At least US based airlines) As you don't own the account a will has no bearing. Some airlines are more willing to follow the request, but none are required to.
SPN Lifer and onanisland like this.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Miles arrived in my account this afternoon.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, Bonvoy LTTit
Just a data point about points after death

My grandmother recently died, I contacted AA, who asked me to send them an affidavit and death certificate, both via email, about a week later they transferred the points to me.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by OTPorBust
My grandmother recently died, I contacted AA, who asked me to send them an affidavit and death certificate, both via email, about a week later they transferred the points to me.
Sorry for your loss, and thanks for the data point. Did she leave them to you in her will?
Old Aug 22, 2021, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
UA has similar policies on transfer of miles upon death, as I found out upon the death of my younger 25½-year-old son in early 2020.

For some reason, DL is the odd airline out in not doing so. So I am keeping a checking account and AmEx card in his name open, to facilitate the eventual redemption of his miles by a family member.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not planning on checking out any time soon but I want to make it as easy as possible for my heirs. Is there anything that I can do now and have on record in case I get hit by a bus? My estate won't be complicated as I only have a couple of living relatives but it would be one less thing for anyone to worry about if I could take care things in advance.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Time limit?

Is there a time limit following an AAdvantage account holder's death to request transfer of miles? For example, if the executor of an estate continues to pay bills on behalf of the estate, charging bills to the decedent's AAdvantage credit card, is there a time limit following death after which AA won't transfer the miles?
Old Jan 17, 2022, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by anabolism
Is there a time limit following an AAdvantage account holder's death to request transfer of miles? For example, if the executor of an estate continues to pay bills on behalf of the estate, charging bills to the decedent's AAdvantage credit card, is there a time limit following death after which AA won't transfer the miles?
Doesn't the credit card account terminate upon death?
How can you legally charge things to a dead person's credit card?
The contract is between them and the credit card company. Upon death that contract ends.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
Doesn't the credit card account terminate upon death?
How can you legally charge things to a dead person's credit card?
The contract is between them and the credit card company. Upon death that contract ends.
Bills are coming in and need to be paid. Doesn't seem right to use the executor's personal card when the decedent's card is still open (and some auto-pay charges are hitting it anyway). It'll take a while to transition various things.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by anabolism
Bills are coming in and need to be paid. Doesn't seem right to use the executor's personal card when the decedent's card is still open (and some auto-pay charges are hitting it anyway). It'll take a while to transition various things.
When my father died, I used his credit card for a few days, but that was it.

In theory the estate is a separate entity. One of the first things to do is to open a bank account titled "Estate Of John Doe." You can write checks or pay bills from that account to pay expenses of the estate. So you could use your own credit card and pay yourself, assuming either that (a) you have valid documentation or (b) nobody involved is going to make a fuss.

IANAL but I'm pretty sure that no one can incur debts in the name of a dead person. Dead person's estate yes, personally no.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43
In theory the estate is a separate entity. One of the first things to do is to open a bank account titled "Estate Of John Doe." You can write checks or pay bills from that account to pay expenses of the estate.
Yes, but this takes time to set up, and meanwhile there are bills to be paid that are urgent.

Originally Posted by redtop43
So you could use your own credit card and pay yourself, assuming either that (a) you have valid documentation or (b) nobody involved is going to make a fuss.
Of course, but that seems messier.

At any rate, all of this is besides the point. Does AA have a time limit?
Old Jan 17, 2022, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
it's not legal, but feel free to do what you want.
It is the executors legal responsibility to notify the creditors of the death of their debtor
Credit cards are not valid after the death

Last edited by mvoight; Jan 17, 2022 at 10:41 pm
Old Jan 18, 2022, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
it's not legal, but feel free to do what you want.
It is the executors legal responsibility to notify the creditors of the death of their debtor
Credit cards are not valid after the death
I'm not actually the executor, but am trying to find out for them. By the way, there is a lawyer for the estate, and I'm sure the executor is taking the lawyer's advice rather than following what anyone here might say. The situation is complex, because the diseased was paying bills for their spouse (who is in a nursing home) as well as a relative in a different care facility; some of the bills are auto-charged to the diseased's credit cards. The executor obviously wants to continue paying bills while the various administrative formalities slowly grind away.

However, all of this is a side issue to the question: Is there a time limit following an AAdvantage account holder's death to request transfer of miles?
Old Aug 15, 2023, 8:20 am

Programs: a little here, a little there
Recent experience with inheriting miles?

Anyone dealt with AA lately?

Have a parent with 500k+ miles, ideally would like to split (unequally but will agreement) among 4 children AA accounts. Will does not specifically call out Mileage account but trust covers "all assets".

We could log into account and redeem miles like nothing has happened, but run into issues with how to pay taxes. (Name on credit card matching?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.