Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA policy: One can inherit / transfer miles due to death or divorce (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
What happens to AAdvantage miles in case of death (or divorce)?

AA states they actually own the miles and they are not transferable other than paid means offered by their affiliates. However, as provided by the AAdvantage Terms and Conditions, AA miles can in fact be transferred through a will or in divorce proceedings, with the consent of American Airlines. Specific forms (including an affidavit) must be filled out, and copies of death certificate, decree etc. must be provided with filled out forms. For necessary forms, contact AAdvantage Customer Service (link), Open weekdays 7-7 Central time) for further assistance and forms.

Earning AAdvantage miles

...Except as otherwise explained below, mileage credit is not transferable and may not be combined among AAdvantage members, their estates, successors or assigns. Accrued mileage credit and award tickets do not constitute property of the member. Neither accrued mileage, nor award tickets, nor status, nor upgrades are transferable by the member (i) upon death, (ii) as part of a domestic relations matter, or (iii) otherwise by operation of law. However, American Airlines, in its sole discretion, may credit accrued mileage to persons specifically identified in court approved divorce decrees and wills upon receipt of documentation satisfactory to American Airlines and upon payment of any applicable fees. (Link).

Note: AA no longer charges for this.
Members have previously posted they have successfully moved miles from the account of a decedent to that of a designated heir. Others have posted about divorce decrees specifying miles transfers as part of a settlement.

The moderator can verify the definitive post in this thread is from the archive:

Originally Posted by Island
...You have been given all of the correct information. Your first call to customer service will provide that the affidavit and instructions be sent to you, aong (sic) with a return envelope. Complete the affidavit, provide a DC (death certificate) the fee, mail and the miles will be transferred in short time.

Note: no fee is charged.
See Posts #41 and #68.

From a NY Times article, courtesy of BOSOGG:

Airlines That Allow Transfers (after death)

AMERICAN

Kudos to American for having a clear, consistent policy: AAdvantage miles can be transferred out of a deceased member’s account to a beneficiary’s AAdvantage account. In April, American even dropped the $50 fee it used to charge for some transfers. On request, the airline will send a packet with an affidavit the beneficiary should fill out, indicating whose account should receive the miles; it should be signed by the surviving spouse, the sole heir or the executor of the estate. A copy of the death certificate must also be submitted (but doesn’t have to be certified, which is also the case with most airlines). Michael Maldonado, an American spokesman, said transfer requests are processed within seven business days.
Older and obsolete posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA miles: Can transfer due to death or divorce? (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

AA policy: One can inherit / transfer miles due to death or divorce (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
1. OP Sorry for your loss
2. AA does have much nicer transfer policy than Delta - who says "Miles may not be transferred for any reasons, including but not limited to, death..." I have in my will - where I wrote down my Delta log-in and asks my partner to immediately book a J around the world in the event of my untimely departure.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Sorry and welcome. Good luck with this.....

From a NY Times article:

Airlines That Allow Transfers (after death)

AMERICAN
Kudos to American for having a clear, consistent policy: AAdvantage miles can be transferred out of a deceased member’s account to a beneficiary’s AAdvantage account. In April, American even dropped the $50 fee it used to charge for some transfers. On request, the airline will send a packet with an affidavit the beneficiary should fill out, indicating whose account should receive the miles; it should be signed by the surviving spouse, the sole heir or the executor of the estate. A copy of the death certificate must also be submitted (but doesn’t have to be certified, which is also the case with most airlines). Michael Maldonado, an American spokesman, said transfer requests are processed within seven business days.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat | UA 1K | Hyatt Diamond| Copa Gold | Carnival Gold | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold
My friend just used her late fathers miles and was able to go to the airport and pay with cash. Although, she didn't say he had passed, she told the AAgent that he didn't have a credit card...
Old Nov 20, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM
The affidavit and death certificate can be sent electronically as PDFs or faxed.

Last edited by dia1; Nov 20, 2015 at 12:52 pm
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
...fraud...
Really?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by KRZ_Flyer
My friend just used her late fathers miles and was able to go to the airport and pay with cash. Although, she didn't say he had passed, she told the AAgent that he didn't have a credit card...
IMO, not a great idea - can definitely have repercussions. AA has a very active "revenue protection" unit.

And it's easier, IMO, to just fill out and submit the required forms to do this legitimately in any case. No cost, no problem.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, AA - EXP, SPG-Gold
I am pretty sure your spouse would not mind you using miles from his/her account. I would just use his/her name with your credit card info and it will work. The credit card company only verifies the acct number and zip code when it comes to reservations.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, AA - EXP, SPG-Gold
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
There is not actually any rule that the CC must match the AAdvantage account---I have used my credit card in combination with my spouse's miles (over the phone, not online). However, what you are trying to do is fraud (using miles without the account holder's approval), and that is a different matter altogether.

I don't recall if AA allows you to inherit the miles---others will know this. They might allow it even when it's not in the rules, if you ask nicely and don't try to trick them.
Fraud? Really? Its that person spouse so I am pretty sure they would not mind plus he has the PIN and account number so its clear that his/her spouse gave out that information. Also, how will AA know that the person whose name on the account is no longer alive? After all we are talking about miles and not money.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
This is one of those occasions where doing it correctly is actually easy and straight-forward so there is absolutely no need to do anything else...
Old Nov 20, 2015, 2:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by chgodude
Fraud? Really? Its that person spouse so I am pretty sure they would not mind plus he has the PIN and account number so its clear that his/her spouse gave out that information. Also, how will AA know that the person whose name on the account is no longer alive? After all we are talking about miles and not money.
Sorry, it's fraudulent account activity - relatively easily resolved by following AA requirements for having the miles credited to one's account. And AA Corporate Security AAdvantage Fraud is comprised of pretty astute - and aggressive - persons. Lots of evidence here on FT. And, btw, evidence they read FlyerTalk, as well.

There are instances of fraud on FT where, for example, a onetime spouse a bailed themselves of a member's account information by surreptitious means and drained the account, for example. How are AA employees to know when using another's account is allowed and ethical, or merely theft or conversion?

And it's very easy these days to use Google to find a death listing.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 20, 2015 at 2:30 pm
Old Nov 20, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by Mark_T
This is one of those occasions where doing it correctly is actually easy and straight-forward so there is absolutely no need to do anything else...
Depends on the estate and how many spouses and children are involved.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by JDiver
Sorry, it's fraudulent account activity - relatively easily resolved by following AA requirements for having the miles credited to one's account. And AA Corporate Security AAdvantage Fraud is comprised of pretty astute - and aggressive - persons. Lots of evidence here on FT. And, btw, evidence they read FlyerTalk, as well.
Trust me OP, do this on the up and up. It is easier thanks to AA to do it that way (assuming that you have authority to do this under the will/estate/probate procedures, if you aren't sure then you will want to consult the proper counsel).

IANAL, and the rest of this post is merely to the best of my knowledge with no guarantee or claim of total accuracy or legal defensibility, but the last thing you need is another interested party claiming interest in the miles after you've redeemed them; technically the miles would go into the estate and be divided according to either the last will and testament, or the other procedures established in the local jurisdiction if one did not exist. If you take value out of the estate when it is not authorized, this constitutes legal fraud. If another party contests your ability to do this (and probate can be reopened for years after the end of life of the deceased if another party claims they were disadvantaged or that their claim to executorship is stronger than yours), having AAdvantage accounts closed would be the least of your concerns at that point.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bruceba
Depends on the estate and how many spouses and children are involved.
Not really, doing it right is very simple, and if it is not straight forward to show that the miles are to be inherited by the OP then it is even more fraudulent to do what others have suggested.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by chgodude
Fraud? Really? Its that person spouse so I am pretty sure they would not mind plus he has the PIN and account number so its clear that his/her spouse gave out that information.
Just to add to what has already been said, the spouse is not necessarily the beneficiary. It could be a matter of taking the miles from the actual beneficiary.

I doubt that if someone has your account number and password, that proves you gave it to them. In any case, "I am pretty sure" and "so it is clear" are not relevant arguments. It's not a philosophical question; it's not a matter of how you feel about this. It's using someone else's account and thus pretending to be that person to use the miles. That's fraud.
Also, how will AA know that the person whose name on the account is no longer alive?
Whether they will catch you is a different question from whether it is fraud.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Nov 20, 2015 at 2:30 pm
Old Nov 20, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Dunster
My spouse died a year ago... can get into his account, selected flights, and tried to pay the fee ($11.20) with my credit card, but was told the card had to match the account owner's name. The trip is on American/American Eagle, and inside the United States.

What are my options? I would rather not lose his 160,000 miles because there isn't a credit card in his name.
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
there must be a workaround

what about kids who have accounts but aren't old enough for a CC
Sorry for your loss.

For my kids' accounts, I buy a preloaded VISA card from Walgreens (or wherever), register it online in one of their names, and it works absolutely fine for paying taxes and fees online where name on card must match account name.

YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.