FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   LUS: The ugly truth about LUS ("West" 757) First Class service to Hawaii (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/513374-lus-ugly-truth-about-lus-west-757-first-class-service-hawaii.html)

iahphx Mar 5, 2006 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
The beautiful truth about UA's FC service to Hawaii (on a 777 from ORD):

Hot towels
Drinks flowing from boarding until right before landing
Linen tablecloths, real glasses and real silverware (except knives, which were gray plastic)
Liqueurs with dessert
Multi-course meals
Hot fudge sundae assembled in front of you
Salads assembled in front of you
Deli plate before landing
Final food served: warm chocolate chip cookie with a glass of milk, just before landing
Red Carpet Club at HNL

I am RUINED after this flight as flying in coach or on an inferior product would be such a letdown; absolutely wonderful!

Thank you, UA!

From personal experience, that is a very hard flight to get reward seats on. Obviously, if you could, it would be insane to fly the America West flights.

ibrandsguest Mar 6, 2006 10:05 am

I got about 9,800 Preferred miles for that wonderful UA flight and the return, all for about $600-something. Not worth it to burn miles for a ticket that cheap, considering how many miles I got.

Alpha Golf Mar 12, 2006 10:03 am

Anyone know which/how many of th e75s have ETOPS certification? Was a bit of a trip to see them in HNL last week.

HPDTW Mar 12, 2006 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Anyone know which/how many of th e75s have ETOPS certification? Was a bit of a trip to see them in HNL last week.

All of America West 757's with the exception of the Terrible Teens

Are NOT ETOPS Certified

asu-ua772 Mar 12, 2006 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by HPDTW
All of America West 757's with the exception of the Terrible Teens

Are NOT ETOPS Certified

Great to know! IIRC, 913 and 914 are regular America West livery, 915 is Nevada/Battle Born.

JenniferNAz Apr 1, 2006 1:26 pm

I am looking to book a semi last minute trip to Kauai in August using miles. I didn't think I was going to go this year, but just decided I wanted to. Unfortunately, I missed taking NW by 3 days (last day to request seat was 3/26), which I am VERY bummed about (as I typically fly out of SEA).

So, it seems the only options I have are the HP flight or United by moving my miles to my DM account. I called; there is no availability at all for United in August.

So, first, does anyone know any other way for me to use my FF/DM miles to get from SEA or PHX in First Aug 5 to LIH (Kauai) and returning on Aug 19?

The second question, and reason for posting on this thread, has anyone taken this route recently and have there been any changes?? Any updates on service? Any chance they will be putting a US767 on the route for the summer?

Any help/comments would be appreciated!

Jennifer

TransWorldOne Apr 2, 2006 1:24 am

August is "semi last minute?" We must live in different worlds!

Mrp Alert Apr 2, 2006 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by JenniferNAz
So, first, does anyone know any other way for me to use my FF/DM miles to get from SEA or PHX in First Aug 5 to LIH (Kauai) and returning on Aug 19?

You can try transfering your miles to DM and redeeming a *A award on Air Canada.
VIA: Vancouver BC CA
AirCanad 8094 AirCanad 47
12:50PM 1:40 PM 4:30 PM 7:30 PM
Trm: DH3 Trm:M Trm:M 767 Trm:M
Meal F Meal M
Ownr:AC-JAZZ

Make sure you also try the roundabout routing to HNL via ORD on UA instead of LAX/SFO.

Good luck and Aloha!

JenniferNAz Apr 2, 2006 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
You can try transfering your miles to DM and redeeming a *A award on Air Canada.

Make sure you also try the roundabout routing to HNL via ORD on UA instead of LAX/SFO.

Good luck and Aloha!

Thanks so much for the ideas!! I will check into both... I really don't want to have to fly HP to Hawaii!

Also, I simply meant that for an award travel to Hawaii I would typically book the flight earlier than this, as often you can't get award seats to Hawaii this late.

For any other trip this woulnd't be last minute... I don't typically book until 2-3 weeks out at most flights.

Keep any other ideas coming!! Thanks all!

Jennifer

iwareboy Apr 12, 2006 12:46 pm

FYI the Hawaii flights have been going out with full loads for several weeks now. Whatever paperwork problem existed seems to have been solved. HNL seems to be doing quite well, OGG and KOA has pretty light loads (usually under 100 pax).

Now if they'd only work on upgrading the interiors...

MHTFlyer Aug 4, 2006 6:20 pm

Has anyone done PHX-KOA lately in F? I just booked for next summer (felt like an idiot but got my first choice of dates) and I am wondering if service has improved or if anyone knows about any plans for the future? TIA.

ECKOA6 Aug 4, 2006 7:36 pm

As of July 11th there was no improvment. On my flight in June to hawaii there were unable to show the movie since the IFE wasnt working and no Audio either. I go again in December and ill post then but I wouldnt count on anything significant.

aenea Aug 5, 2006 7:04 pm

I did PHX-LIH on the 20th. Nothing's changed on those planes.

The seats still have that short pitch and the IFE is that drop down CRT monitor thing and it was having vertical stabilization problems that day.

No complaints about the FA, but from an equipment perspective, it's got to be the worst F to Hawaii.

MHTFlyer Aug 7, 2006 8:48 am

It's just so depressing. I don't have enough "native" UA miles to book on UA and US is telling me that there are no UA flts available. We would have even done UA to SFO or LAX and then bought tickets on Hawaiian but that wasn't even there. So while I don't want to complain about award tickets, I did a lot of flying to save those miles for this trip, and it would be nice if it was a pleasant experience.

haveric Aug 7, 2006 8:58 am

Originally Posted by MHTFlyer
It's just so depressing. I don't have enough "native" UA miles to book on UA and US is telling me that there are no UA flts available. We would have even done UA to SFO or LAX and then bought tickets on Hawaiian but that wasn't even there. So while I don't want to complain about award tickets, I did a lot of flying to save those miles for this trip, and it would be nice if it was a pleasant experience.

I just got an email from UA telling me that all sorts of seats are available on UA to Hawaii in the next month or two. When are you looking to go? Sometimes, US reps will call UA to release a seat to US. Not often, though.