Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Find / track AA / US registration / "tail" number, flights (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
How to find the registration / "tail" number on AA (and other) planes and flights

Numbers commonly associated with commercial aircraft include:
  • Registration (or "Tail") Number (in the US, begin with "N"), which may change with aircraft ownership and certainly so if ownership is also a change of registration country, comparably to an automobile's license number. Some refer to this as a "tail number", though it is generally found on the aft portion of the fuselage under or near the tail, and some aircraft sport the fleet number on the actual tail.

• Fleet Number or "nose code", a shorter identifying code, that is normally associated with the Registration Number, often only two or three (alphanumeric) characters; it may reflect some of the registration numbers or not, and may include other information (e.g. "ETOPS"). This number would be analogous to a company's auto fleet number.

• Manufacturer's Serial Number: (MSN or msn) or Construction Number (cn or c/n), which is like an automobile's Vehicle Identification Number or VIN - this number is issued to the hull itself and does not change, from construction to wrecking yard (with very few exceptions, such as a rebuild from multiple aircrafts). This number will also often appear on an affixed plate within the fuselage. This is the "gold standard" for identifying a specific aircraft, as Registration Numbers can be assigned to more than one aircraft at different times.

• Line Number: The constructor / manufacturer also assigns a Line Number that represents the order in which it was built relative to others of the same model on the production line.
E.g. AA Boeing 777-223ER registered in the US as N761AJ carries a fleet number 7BW on the nose gear door and was issued the Construction Number 31478 by Boeing, and it is the 393rd 777 built by Boeing. In some databases or photo sites, this will be represented as "N761AJ / 7BW (cn 31478/393)".

AA shows the Reg number in the FIL in Sabre.

For aircraft you can see, the registration number is generally painted on the aft fuselage near or before the tail root (not on the tail). If you can not see that, the fleet number is usually painted on the nose wheel door. (If you have that, you can easily determine the aircraft registration number.)

The numbers are also on a small metal plate affixed to the bulkhead near the first port (left) door. (It's best not to look for and read this when boarding with a queue behind one .)

Various sites where the aircraft and flight data are archived or displayed are discussed in the ensuing posts.

Print Wikipost

Find / track AA / US registration / "tail" number, flights (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2006, 6:31 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
Originally Posted by justageek
Am I just hallucinating, or did ExpertFlyer used to have the tail number in the comments section of the Flight Status info, but it seems it doesn't anymore?
AA changed a few practices thanks to expertflyer. dropping the tail # from the comments field was one.....
Old Jan 3, 2006, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by JGR01
I can just see the issue caused during boarding as the OP tries to read the number stamped on the door-sill plate (think it is on the forward side about shoulder height).

Anyhow .. I think the same thing might occur with the OP trying to write down the Tail Number from the SillPlate (I recall this is IN the door assembly so it is only visible when the door is open!).
Ok ok... I'll qualify the statement. If you know where to look, it'll take about a second to read and memorize it (unless your short term memory has been damaged ). I can read it as I'm walking through the door... or while waiting for those people in F to sit down

Of course, I usually forget too... so I only have the tail numbers from about 2 of the last 15 flights I've taken.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 10:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP (1.5MM), Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Ok ok... I'll qualify the statement. If you know where to look, it'll take about a second to read and memorize it (unless your short term memory has been damaged ). I can read it as I'm walking through the door... or while waiting for those people in F to sit down

Of course, I usually forget too... so I only have the tail numbers from about 2 of the last 15 flights I've taken.
Camera phone. Although you may get a TSA visit.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Bill_Luv2Fly
I could be completely wrong about this, but if I remember correctly, for the fleet numbers 3=737, 4=MD80, 5=757. Like I said before, I don't know of a complete online database anymore that allows cross referencing between fleet numbers and tail numbers. I'd say your best bet is to google "3CE American 737", which refers you to a page that has both the fleet number and tail number (look at the cached page if it does not load). Such a technique may not always work, though.
I crosschecked my dubious memory with some pictures on Airliners.net.

("xx" = letters, "dd" = digits below):
737s are 3xx767s (both -200s and -300s) are 3dd
A300s are 0dd.
757s are 5xx
777x are 7xx
MD80s are 4xx

And if you visit the Arizona and California deserts, you'll find:
Fokker 100s were 2xx
MD-11s were 1xx
Old Jan 3, 2006, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Efrem
I've gone off on several FT rants about agents reciting "security" like a mantra when something has no possible security connection, but this is a situation where it actually might. Specifically, someone bent on mischief might want to confirm that the aircraft is the one where an accomplice left something behind on purpose - perhaps one of two components to a device, each of which is benign by itself but which, when combined, could be nasty. So, while there are (as noted in several previous posts) lots of ways to get this information, all of which are equally available to mischief-makers, they might be a bit suspect of someone who thinks it's important to find out.
In which case they'd better black out all the windows in all the airports, since you CAN SEE THE N-NUMBERS THROUGH THEM.

For that matter, sometimes you can see your very own luggage being dropped in the slush.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 3:44 am

Lightbulb

Just ask the captain for the tail number, if the f/a is too goofy to know where to look.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 8:26 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by gregmchicago
I crosschecked my dubious memory with some pictures on Airliners.net.

("xx" = letters, "dd" = digits below):
737s are 3xx
767s (both -200s and -300s) are 3dd
A300s are 0dd.
757s are 5xx
777x are 7xx
MD80s are 4xx
A300-600: 050-084
737-800: 3AA-3DL (more to be delivered)
757-200: 610-643, 5BP-5FT, 5TA-5WE (TWA)
767-200: 301-339 (only 319-339 in service)
767-300: 342-399
777-200: 7AA-7CA (more to be delivered)
MD-80: 200-298, 400-499, 501-599, 4TA-4YU (TWA)
Old Jan 4, 2006, 9:00 pm

Programs: Skyteam Elite, Starwood Gold, Kmart ShopYourWay Rewards
Originally Posted by mwhitted
WAY COOL!

Here's another FAA site where you can enter an N-number and get the ergistration information.

BTW, N526AA was a "FALCON-XP" from 05/15/1985 until 04/17/1991 and has been a Bell OH-58C helicopter since 02/19/2003.
But then on the BTS.gov site:
AA 04/26/2004 2085 N526AA MCO 15:45
BOTH Departures from BOS and arrivals from MCO show this flight as N526AA and I've tried searching to no avail on Airliners.net & internet searches.
However, on this link http://www.geocities.com/~aeromoe/fleets/aa.html
does it imply N7526A has the fleet # 526 but is a MD80?
Thanks to everyone's contributions, both serious & (somewhat) funny
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:21 am

The small piece of paper referred to in other posts is the "Airworthiness Certificate". It's basically the FAA stating the aircraft can safely fly. FAA regs require it to be posted "in plain sight to passengers as they board the aircraft". It will usually be above door 1L or somewhere very close. It lists the tail number, serial number, date the aircraft was manufactured, aircraft category, etc.

There is a metal plate on the door frame that is the manufacturer's ID plate. It does NOT list tail number, since tail number changes several times over the life of most aircraft. It lists manufacturer, model, and serial number. It's like the VIN tag on your car.

WN is nice, they put an engraved plaque with the "N" number by each door. WN saves a lot of money by this simple idea....ground service, gate agents, and cabin crews can make sure they are on the correct aircraft and avoid mistakes.

There is a similar N number plaque on the top center of the instrument panel in the cockpit of most aircraft. If the cockpit door is open when you enter or exit the plane, look for the plate (or ask the pilot for the tail #).

Another source of N number is the electronic ramp signs outside each gate for the ramp crews. One line of the display has a fragment of the tail number, although AA uses the fleet number (e.g. "5CR") which does not solve the problem.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 7:28 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by bursa
But then on the BTS.gov site:
AA 04/26/2004 2085 N526AA MCO 15:45
BOTH Departures from BOS and arrivals from MCO show this flight as N526AA and I've tried searching to no avail on Airliners.net & internet searches.
However, on this link http://www.geocities.com/~aeromoe/fleets/aa.html
does it imply N7526A has the fleet # 526 but is a MD80?
Thanks to everyone's contributions, both serious & (somewhat) funny
bts.gov always shows N[nose number]AA, regardless of the actual registration (for example, you would see N7AAAA for N770AN because 7AA is its nose number). So N526AA is N7526A which is now an MD-82.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by MiamiBeach
bts.gov always shows N[nose number]AA, regardless of the actual registration (for example, you would see N7AAAA for N770AN because 7AA is its nose number). So N526AA is N7526A which is now an MD-82.
Must only be for AA. AE shows a lot of different letter pairs at the end of N-numbers on bts.gov. And the "nose number" must sometimes actually be the numeric part of the N-number?
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:06 pm
21A

Originally Posted by kenish
Another source of N number is the electronic ramp signs outside each gate for the ramp crews. One line of the display has a fragment of the tail number, although AA uses the fleet number (e.g. "5CR") which does not solve the problem.
IIRC, the format, at least at DFW, is:
AA1234 XYZ (flight # and destination)
1110 576 5 (est time of departure, portion of fleet # after N, time to ETD - sometimes negative if there's a delay and they haven't updated it yet )
Not all airports seem to have these signs, though.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by 21A
...portion of fleet # after N....
Just to be clear, the "fleet number" doesn't have an N. The number starting with N is the FAA registration number, AKA "tail number". AA has another 3 character number that we've been calling the "fleet number" here. (Is that the official AA term? ) SOMETIMES, the "fleet number" is the 1st 3 characters of the "tail number" after the N. I believe what shows on these signs is the 3-character "fleet number".
Old Jan 5, 2006, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA Explat / UA Silver
On the 772 (not sure about other a/c), there is a plaque in the J galley with the reg. aswell. You can look while boarding without holding up the line!

Matt
Old Jan 5, 2006, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
hey OP, thats cool. I never really noticed the registration so I am not a true "aviation spotter".

I did ask for a regi the other day and all I did was ask the FA to ask the pilot what the regi was. clean and simple. If the flight is too busy, just ask the pilot as you get off the plane. takes two seconds

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.