Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about middle sections vs. Outer section seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2024, 11:39 am
Original Poster

GF and I fly long haul roundtrip once or twice per year (usually SoCal to Europe.) Typically, I'm looking at 777s with a 3-4-3 configuration. Usually, I book economy/MCE in the outer sections. I'll take the aisle, give her the window seat and we pray that no one takes the middle seat. But someone usually does end up in that middle seat and then we often swap with them, so that leaves the GF with a middle seat. She's pretty small, but still.

But I've wondered if it might not be better to choose the middle section instead (not middle seat, but middle section. We'd have to get up for others a fewer number of times, and we likely wouldn't have to play the seat swap game.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by Stockjock; May 14, 2024 at 6:07 pm
Old May 14, 2024, 11:48 am

We always just pick aisle for both of us , sitting in the middle seat to sit next to each other after thirty some years of marriage is a non starter, on wide bodies we are normally in business but my wife is short and never reclines her seat so we would take aisles on behind the other in your example
Old May 14, 2024, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
You may also want to consider buying an extra seat so you are guaranteed to commandeer all 3 seats in an outer row. It's worth comparing the cost of the extra seat to alternatives, especially if you are paying for MCE or are considering premium economy.

You can also try to sit in the last 2-3 rows on widebodies as they typically have 2 seats in the outer row due to the curvature of the fuselage. However those come with other downsides (no extra legroom, very loud as they are close to the bathrooms or galley (or both)
Old May 14, 2024, 5:34 pm

I like your strategy! Sitting in D/E or G/H basically guarantees you never have to get up for someone else or disturb someone to get out. Another option would be to spring for Premium Economy where the seating is 2-4-2.
sushanna1 likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ebuck
I like your strategy! Sitting in D/E or G/H basically guarantees you never have to get up for someone else or disturb someone to get out. Another option would be to spring for Premium Economy where the seating is 2-4-2.
On my flight from DFW to FCE, Premium Economy started off at $492 per person to upgrade. It's now almost $2,800 per person, so that won't happen.
scoonee likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ebuck
We have some of those seemingly worthless preferred seat coupons. You know, the seats that are in a "better location", but don't have any other perks and they're no larger than standard economy.

For now, I'm in one of those rows, where there is a cost for a middle seat, but no benefit. So I have the aisle and window in that preferred row, in the hopes that no one would pay to be in the middle, although I suppose they may assign someone in that middle seat, eventually.

Last edited by Stockjock; May 14, 2024 at 8:32 pm
Old May 15, 2024, 8:27 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by Stockjock
But I've wondered if it might not be better to choose the middle section instead (not middle seat, but middle section. We'd have to get up for others a fewer number of times...
If you pick seats in the middle section you most likely won't have to stand up for anybody other than your gf. The other person in one of the middle seats will likely choose to get up and make one person stand up instead of two.

PLanes go out full nowadays. That empty middle seat will be assigned to someone in basic economy or someone that got booked on that flight last minute (irrops, stand by, etc)
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old May 15, 2024, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
If there are just two of us and it's not a 2 x 4 x 2, we get seats across the aisle from each other. Still side by side, but with an aisle between us.
Old May 15, 2024, 9:10 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
I really miss the 767s with 2-3-2 seating.
notquiteaff and ValleyEarl like this.
Old May 16, 2024, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I miss the original Pan Am 747s! They had 3-4-2 seating when I took my first trip to Europe in 1973, JFK to AMS. The twos were great for dinner and then the fours made great beds, given all the empty seats back then.
OskiBear likes this.
Old May 16, 2024, 3:14 pm

Programs: Hilton, Delta, Hyatt, MGM
These may not be open depending on when you book and they do involve being last off of the plane, but the last few rows on the 772, 77W, or 788s are great for couples. Due to the curvature of the plane, there is not enough room for a third seat on either side so they are instead 2 person rows. And if you are on a 788, there is also no lavatory which means none of the issues that come with that and also allows for one to recline all the way back without a neighbor behind them.
Old May 16, 2024, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vegasbased
These may not be open depending on when you book and they do involve being last off of the plane, but the last few rows on the 772, 77W, or 788s are great for couples. Due to the curvature of the plane, there is not enough room for a third seat on either side so they are instead 2 person rows. And if you are on a 788, there is also no lavatory which means none of the issues that come with that and also allows for one to recline all the way back without a neighbor behind them.
This is a 777-200ER. The rows you mentioned are 36, 37 and 38. The dual seats in 36 are taken, leaving the last 2 rows, 37 and 38 open. I usually avoid these seats due to the proximity of the bathroom and the extra motion. Plus, I'd have to listen to the GF griping for weeks on end.
vegasbased likes this.
Old May 16, 2024, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Stockjock
This is a 777-200ER. The rows you mentioned are 36, 37 and 38. The dual seats in 36 are taken, leaving the last 2 rows, 37 and 38 open. I usually avoid these seats due to the proximity of the bathroom and the extra motion. Plus, I'd have to listen to the GF griping for weeks on end.
Row 17 on those planes is 2 seats on each side of the plane and my favorite choice.
Old May 16, 2024, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Row 17 on those planes is 2 seats on each side of the plane and my favorite choice.
Already taken, or I probably would have snagged them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.