Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-FRA-LAX...couple questions

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2024, 8:55 am
Original Poster

LAX-FRA-LAX...couple questions

I need to go to Frankfurt this summer, and while I'd like to take Lufthansa/United (only non-stop except Condor which I'm apprehensive about), I have a bunch of AA miles.

1. Is 62000 miles for a one way return business/first through DFW a good redemption (looks OK to me)...does it ever get lower?
2. Is 47000 miles LAX-DFW-FRA worth it for Premium Economy? It's on both legs, but I've never taken it before. I could do 27K in coach.
3. I have a 50K reservation on LAX-SFO-FRA in Premium Economy on United, but I don't have a lot of miles on that program. I was able to use 55K on that same itinerary in Polaris a couple years ago, and would like to save them. Also since, they have a partnership with Lufthansa, maybe one day I could use it for some of their non-stops (family near Frankfurt).

I don't fly that much, but have boatload of miles from CCs...fwiw.

Thanks in advance for answering what probably has been asked before!
Old May 12, 2024, 9:02 am

Personally, I think #1 is the way to go. You might find some flights for 57K miles one-way for Club World on BA through LHR, but those will come with ~$800 in surcharges.
donotblink, TWA884 and OskiBear like this.
Old May 12, 2024, 9:12 am

Programs: AA
I think for 110K miles RT combo outbound Biz with return in PE is a solid booking, very reasonable point spend. The overnight is in the lie flat and return is a day run where to really only need a roomy seat and movies. Id book it quick. You can always keep checking back....
Id never ride in coach for more than 4 hours...
donotblink and bbriscoe34 like this.
Old May 12, 2024, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Note that AA does not offer Premium Economy on the LAX-DFW leg. Not sure if a Premium Economy LAX-FRA award ticket would get you a Main Cabin Extra seat -- or just a regular Coach seat -- on the domestic segment.

Since all AAdvantage flight awards are now fully refundable until scheduled departure time, I would book something ASAP, while these favorable redemption rates are available.
Old May 12, 2024, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by manku
I need to go to Frankfurt this summer, and while I'd like to take Lufthansa/United (only non-stop except Condor which I'm apprehensive about), I have a bunch of AA miles.

1. Is 62000 miles for a one way return business/first through DFW a good redemption (looks OK to me)...does it ever get lower?
Is that all on AA metal and domestic first and international business? If so, I would be very happy with that redemption.
Old May 12, 2024, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Is that all on AA metal and domestic first and international business? If so, I would be very happy with that redemption.
Yes...both legs AA.

In mid-August, FYI. Less than 2 hour layover.
Old May 12, 2024, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
For a summer trip, honestly, I'd be pretty content with that redemption.

#1 You're getting a decent points value
#2 You're getting J class on the flight that matters (the overnight flight)
#3 You're not paying exorbitant taxes by flying on British Airways.

Book it, Danno.

Last edited by IADCAflyer; May 12, 2024 at 10:35 am
Old May 12, 2024, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
For a summer trip, honestly, I'd be pretty content with that redemption.
I'm actually shocked it's available.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old May 12, 2024, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yah, who knows. Frankfurt isn't a mecca for summer pleasure seekers.
ConstellationClass likes this.
Old May 12, 2024, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Lol.
But for the same reason , it is a time when everybody in that metro wants to get out to sunnier places and eventually come back.
Old May 12, 2024, 12:36 pm

I'm looking at SFO-FRA in October and seeing some 500-600K r/t options
Old May 12, 2024, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Missing the point. It's Europe. Summer premium cabin awards to the continent have been incredibly difficult for years, especially this close in.
Originally Posted by sdix
I'm looking at SFO-FRA in October and seeing some 500-600K r/t options
Yeah, that's much more the norm.
Old May 12, 2024, 12:51 pm

Missing the point. It's Europe. Summer premium cabin awards to the continent have been incredibly difficult for years, especially this close in.

Yes I get its Europe in Summer. But some people don't think that way and think the only places that you could possibly fly to in Europe are places like Rome or Paris or Dubrovnik or Barcelona. Its one reason why Geneva and Zurich are not nearly as expensive in Summer.
Old May 12, 2024, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Note that AA does not offer Premium Economy on the LAX-DFW leg. Not sure if a Premium Economy LAX-FRA award ticket would get you a Main Cabin Extra seat -- or just a regular Coach seat -- on the domestic segment.

Since all AAdvantage flight awards are now fully refundable until scheduled departure time, I would book something ASAP, while these favorable redemption rates are available.
Thats what I thought, but its a 777 and shows 2-4-2 in a three row section behind first. Which is 1-2-1, btw.

I thought they only flew single aisle planes between LAX-DFW.

FYI, the overnight flight is in premium economy and return in business. I thought I made that clear, but am no expert traveler!
Old May 12, 2024, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by manku
Thats what I thought, but its a 777 and shows 2-4-2 in a three row section behind first. Which is 1-2-1, btw.

I thought they only flew single aisle planes between LAX-DFW.
Typically, the seats on the 777 which are sold as Premium Economy on an international flight are just considered Main Cabin Extra seats on domestic flights. Once you actually book the award, you'll see whether you can select those seats for free on your Premium Economy award.

Last edited by guv1976; May 12, 2024 at 3:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.