Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing Routing on Mileage Ticket?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2024, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Changing Routing on Mileage Ticket?

I have family flying DFW-SMF-SEA-KTN next month on an award ticket, departing at 645am

DFW-SEA-KTN is a much better routing, departing about noon, however it isn't available as an award right now on the date they are flying.

If there are seats open on the DFW-SEA-KTN route the day before the flight, will AA move them to that routing for no additional charge? Keep in mind, that SEA-KTN is on Alaska Airlines, so I don't know how that impacts things.
Old May 4, 2024, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
If there are seats open on the DFW-SEA-KTN route the day before the flight, will AA move them to that routing for no additional charge?
No.
JJeffrey, FAA1996 and Mr. BoH like this.
Old May 4, 2024, 12:10 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Same day flight changes only apply to the same routings, but if you get a weather waiver, delay, or schedule change they will change this for you
Old May 4, 2024, 8:53 pm

Given its technically a partner ticket (AS), if AA opens T/U award buckets close in, you should be able to modify the routing for the same partner award price, right?
Old May 4, 2024, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
No.
Originally Posted by donotblink
Same day flight changes only apply to the same routings, but if you get a weather waiver, delay, or schedule change they will change this for you
Really? Huh. I thought I for sure had read in the past that if you had an award ticket, you could change the routing as long as you maintained endpoints. Was that a previous policy?
Old May 4, 2024, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
This is the difference I've found between AS and AA award tickets...a domestic award ticket purchased with AS miles can be changed to a better routing or lower mileage amount--you can typically just make the change online. If booked with AA miles, I've been told by the Twitter team (which is awesome) that you need to cancel the entire AA ticket and rebook whatever you're trying to book as an entirely new ticket.
Old May 4, 2024, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
Really? Huh. I thought I for sure had read in the past that if you had an award ticket, you could change the routing as long as you maintained endpoints. Was that a previous policy?
Yes
Old May 4, 2024, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
If booked with AA miles, I've been told by the Twitter team (which is awesome) that you need to cancel the entire AA ticket and rebook whatever you're trying to book as an entirely new ticket.
Correct. AA award tickets cannot be changed. Any desired changes must be cancelled and rebooked unless there is a schedule change or IRROPS.
Old May 5, 2024, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by MrSpicoli
Correct. AA award tickets cannot be changed. Any desired changes must be cancelled and rebooked unless there is a schedule change or IRROPS.
But this ticket includes a segment on Alaska, so it should be considered a partner award. In that case, the award is changeable, provided T space opens up on the DFW-SEA segment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.