Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What happens if AA cancels route on award

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2024, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Curious given all 787 delays and wondering If I need a backup plan. For instance I have J award on DOH-PHL-DFW at end of December. If due to the 787 delays 1) AA cancels their service to DOH or 2) reduces it from daily, Will AA 1) reroute me on another one world carrier or just cancel my ticket and refund the miles or 2) case 1 or put me on the next flight AA has to PHL.
Old May 1, 2024, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Lonedaddy
Curious given all 787 delays and wondering If I need a backup plan. For instance I have J award on DOH-PHL-DFW at end of December. If due to the 787 delays 1) AA cancels their service to DOH or 2) reduces it from daily, Will AA 1) reroute me on another one world carrier or just cancel my ticket and refund the miles or 2) case 1 or put me on the next flight AA has to PHL.
AA cannot force partners to open up award availability so for an award they won't automatically rebook you onto partner flights. The rebooking options depend on each exact cancellation situation.

In your example if DOH-PHL were changed to only run a few times per week, then the system would most likely auto-rebook you to the day before or after. If DOH-PHL was cancelled all together, then you'd probably log into your reservation and see nothing or just the PHL-DFW flight with a note to call AA. At that point your only real option is to cancel for a full refund and rebook whatever you can at that point.

Of course if there happens to be DOH-DFW partner award availability on that date then it's easy to switch.
Old May 1, 2024, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Of course if there happens to be DOH-DFW partner award availability on that date then it's easy to switch.
Or DOH-XXX, where XXX has an AA flight to DFW, e.g., JFK/ORD or even somewhere in Europe. AA can force open award space on its own metal. You'd just be subject to award availability on partners.
Old May 1, 2024, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA can pay for a ticket on another airline.
You have a contract for transport, they can’t unilaterally cancel it. Don’t accept a refund if you don’t want one.
Lonedaddy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.