Wiki Posts
Search

Unusual (for me) award routing LGA / JFK

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2024, 11:58 am
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Delta Hog
Why in the world would I fly to NEW YORK and MIAMI from St. Louis to go to Mexico City?.
For what it's worth when I used to live in PHX (as a UA flyer) to get to LAX I would fly via SFO rather than nonstop just so I could eat the the San Francisco Soup Company.

This is partly one of the reasons I'm no longer married.
PLeblond and nk15 like this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by theboss7593
If only they did the AirTrain to Woodside. Would be a 50 minute trip door to door guaranteed.
The word guaranteed does not really work in any discussion involving New York AirTrains.
lrdpenn and seattlebruce like this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hotturnip
I watched a Youtube video of a guy who had about 8 hours between flights, and he WALKED from LGA to the Air Train to JFK. (It didn't look like there was a way for him to get there by foot except via the Air Train.) He just had a rollaboard and a backpack. He got tired, but the hardest part was getting out of LGA on foot.
10 years ago when I was working more in New York, I remember hearing about people who liked to walk/run/bike to LGA (from Manhattan). There was even a website/blog dedicated to it with recommendations on most pedestrian- and bike-friendly routes, coffeeshops, scenic points, and other places to take breaks.

Only about 10k from the Queensboro Bridge... From my office (back then) in midtown, about 8 miles total. Although the blog site also included lengthier routes with more waterfront and/or more interesting streets to explore.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I do this airport change occasionally on the way back from ATH or other European city. It should be a 30-minute $50 Uber ride or so, between airports. It is fairly relaxed with a 4-5 hour layover, global entry, and hand luggage only. IMO, It beats the alternative of an extra flight via CLT arriving an hour later than the LGA flight.

Unfortunately AA is weak at JFK, and the dissolution of the partnership with B6 made things worse.

On my way to ATH via JFK sometimes I do an award flight to JFK with Delta, if the price is right, on separate tickets, and a generous layover.

Last edited by nk15; Apr 24, 2024 at 12:57 pm
Old Apr 24, 2024, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Booked an award routing for this summer the other direction - MXP-JFK//LGA-BOS. AA later changed us to MXP-JFK-BOS, a long layover to begin with, slightly longer at the rebooking, but appreciated in that we won't have to do the JFK/LGA shuffle.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by enviroian
For what it's worth when I used to live in PHX (as a UA flyer) to get to LAX I would fly via SFO
You're still kind of in the same general area -- PHX-SFO-LAX is not too different than STL-ORD-MEX which would have been acceptable to me.

STL-LGA-JFK-MIA-MEX? Not a mileage run?

Not gonna happen. HEY LOOK -- DFW which is a major AA hub is right in between STL and MEX.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by prathetkrungthep
The word guaranteed does not really work in any discussion involving New York AirTrains.
Guaranteed to charge you more than the value of the service and make you question why you’re not taking a cab, though
MarkOK likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Update because I DID book STL-LGA/JFK-ATH on the outbound which was the only routing that worked for me on date and miles. 4-hour connection so should be enough time just to Uber door to door.

But I'm really writing because of an interesting development on the return, from BCN not ATH.

BCN-ORD-STL (two pax) was 54k miles + $91.00. I only had 5k left so I bought 49k miles for $1560 thus paid 1651 for two for the O/W.

The exact same flight in lowest class for purchase is 3688/pp or 7376. It's also the least expensive option that day.

I saved $5,725 on a return flight for 2 simply by buying miles instead of purchasing tickets for the same flight? Is this a known hack? I'm certainly glad I looked at the problem this way.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Update because I DID book STL-LGA/JFK-ATH on the outbound which was the only routing that worked for me on date and miles. 4-hour connection so should be enough time just to Uber door to door.

But I'm really writing because of an interesting development on the return, from BCN not ATH.

BCN-ORD-STL (two pax) was 54k miles + $91.00. I only had 5k left so I bought 49k miles for $1560 thus paid 1651 for two for the O/W.

The exact same flight in lowest class for purchase is 3688/pp or 7376. It's also the least expensive option that day.

I saved $5,725 on a return flight for 2 simply by buying miles instead of purchasing tickets for the same flight? Is this a known hack? I'm certainly glad I looked at the problem this way.
Yes, if you're talking about booking two cash one-ways instead of a cash roundtrip or open-jaw (STL-ATH//BCN-STL), buying and redeeming miles can often be a good deal. It can be an even better deal when you buy miles during one of AA's periodic sales, when the cost can get down to around 2¢/mile.

On many -- not all -- trans-Atlantic routes/carriers, the cash cost of a one-way can be as much as the cash cost of a roundtrip.

But I'm a little skeptical of the claim that $3,688 pp is the cheapest one-way fare available on any carrier on your day of travel. Did you do a search via a site like expedia.com? Or Google flights? Still, you probably did get a good deal by purchasing AAdvantage miles in this case.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
But I'm a little skeptical of the claim that $3,688 pp is the cheapest one-way fare available on any carrier on your day of travel. Did you do a search via a site like expedia.com? Or Google flights? Still, you probably did get a good deal by purchasing AAdvantage miles in this case.
No, I am talking about AA only. Cheapest on aa.com.

There were some significantly cheaper on orbitz but they were all (or almost all? don't want to misstate!) on Turkish and went to Istanbul first. And ended up in a +1 or +2, not the same day. Not something I would do.

Even those were more expensive than buying the miles.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Even those were more expensive than buying the miles.
Yep.

If you want to see an extreme example of the value of buying miles, here's one:

With miles:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.