Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Question re inventory / 100 hour upgrades / split reservation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2024, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Here’s the scenario:

Two passengers both EP, domestic reservation

Requested SWU for both. Didn’t clear by 100 hours.

Noticed that the flight was showing C1 on ExpertFlyer

Called. Asked to cancel the SWU request, then split the reservation, then request comp upgrade, which should immediately go through for one of the two passengers right?

The agent did it but said they can’t request the comp upgrade it just happens in the system. But it’s been a few hours and neither passenger is upgraded. EF is still showing C1.

Is this normal. Is my assumption that being inside the window with C inventory means the upgrade will go through? It’s hours past the 100 hour mark and the J cabin is half empty so I am assuming that it’s not an issue of someone else being ahead of us in line. Even if they were they’d take the C inventory and I wouldn’t see it any more right?
Old Apr 20, 2024, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by edwin_p_morales
Here’s the scenario:

Two passengers both EP, domestic reservation

Requested SWU for both. Didn’t clear by 100 hours.

Noticed that the flight was showing C1 on ExpertFlyer

Called. Asked to cancel the SWU request, then split the reservation, then request comp upgrade, which should immediately go through for one of the two passengers right?

The agent did it but said they can’t request the comp upgrade it just happens in the system. But it’s been a few hours and neither passenger is upgraded. EF is still showing C1.

Is this normal. Is my assumption that being inside the window with C inventory means the upgrade will go through? It’s hours past the 100 hour mark and the J cabin is half empty so I am assuming that it’s not an issue of someone else being ahead of us in line. Even if they were they’d take the C inventory and I wouldn’t see it any more right?
Your assumption is incorrect. C space is what you need for a miles/copay or SWU upgrade. R space (upgrade) is what you need for a comp upgrade. There is nowhere to view upgrade R space publicly. Seeing positive C space does not equal a comp upgrade request clearing immediately.

That said, if the cabin is only half full and C1 then it's likely that AA will release comp upgrade space at some point, though that could be anytime between now and the flight.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
You could have requested an SWU upgrade for 1 pax after splitting the PNR and that should have gone through (if indeed you were searching EF the right way).
Old Apr 20, 2024, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes
You could have requested an SWU upgrade for 1 pax after splitting the PNR and that should have gone through (if indeed you were searching EF the right way).
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Your assumption is incorrect. C space is what you need for a miles/copay or SWU upgrade. R space (upgrade) is what you need for a comp upgrade. There is nowhere to view upgrade R space publicly. Seeing positive C space does not equal a comp upgrade request clearing immediately.

That said, if the cabin is only half full and C1 then it's likely that AA will release comp upgrade space at some point, though that could be anytime between now and the flight.
Oh right I completely forgot about R. Haven’t done this in awhile. That used to be viewable on EF but they took that away right?
Old Apr 20, 2024, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Oh right I completely forgot about R. Haven’t done this in awhile. That used to be viewable on EF but they took that away right?
Correct, upgrade R space is not viewable anywhere.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 1:07 pm

Programs: Some more than others
Yes, upgrades with both X and R buckets were viewable on EF; however they were removed at least 10 or 15 years ago so as to remove various forms of queue jumping in the upgrade process.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SCChris
Yes, upgrades with both X and R buckets were viewable on EF; however they were removed at least 10 or 15 years ago so as to remove various forms of queue jumping in the upgrade process.
Well that sure puts a damper on my queue-jumping plans. Though I suspect I’m top of the list either way.

I do miss the old days of using the phone system and calling in to press a key and request the upgrade at the perfect time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.