Wiki Posts
Search

BAEC status on AA Award flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2024, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold
BAEC status on AA Award flight

I have a Advantage award flight booked in Economy, but used the BA status match to get BAEC Silver.

Great, I thought, I can get MCE seats on my flights (no AA status).

Was having a devil of a time trying to figure out how to do this and now I am thinking it can't be done/isn't allowed.

If you put your BA # in at booking time, then it appears you can't use AA miles. If you retroactively put the BA # into
a ticketed award reservation, it seems to have no effect. Now, it's been only a couple of days, so if someone says you
have to wait for things to synch up, that would be good info.

If I use Avios to make the booking, I think I pay the huge taxes and surcharges and I might as well just pay the AA fee
if I really want MCE. Bag charges not really an issue.

I assume I can show my BA status on the app and get into an Admirals Club no problem?
Old Apr 16, 2024, 5:16 pm

In my experience if you book using aa miles you can’t get ba benefits, I don’t think you will be able to access the admirals club either because your ba status isn’t in play,
Old Apr 16, 2024, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by shoeflyer
I have a Advantage award flight booked in Economy, but used the BA status match to get BAEC Silver.

Great, I thought, I can get MCE seats on my flights (no AA status).

Was having a devil of a time trying to figure out how to do this and now I am thinking it can't be done/isn't allowed.

If you put your BA # in at booking time, then it appears you can't use AA miles. If you retroactively put the BA # into
a ticketed award reservation, it seems to have no effect. Now, it's been only a couple of days, so if someone says you
have to wait for things to synch up, that would be good info.

If I use Avios to make the booking, I think I pay the huge taxes and surcharges and I might as well just pay the AA fee
if I really want MCE. Bag charges not really an issue.
You must first remove your AAdvantage number from the booking. You might be able to do this at the "Manage Booking" function at finnair.com. If that does not work, try calling AA.

After the AAdvantage number is successfully removed, go back into your reservation record, and you should be able to add your BAEC number.

If you've already done this, it's possible that it will take a little time for AA to recognize your new BAEC status. If that's the case, then you might have to remove and then re-enter your BAEC number in the reservation record at a later date.

Has BAEC confirmed that your temporary status-match BA Silver status confers oneworld benefits across all oneworld carriers? I have not heard anything to the contrary, but I suppose that anything is possible.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 12:21 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by tennessetom
In my experience if you book using aa miles you can’t get ba benefits, I don’t think you will be able to access the admirals club either because your ba status isn’t in play,
The way to book this is to not use yourself (as logged into aa.com) as the passenger – it defaults to you as the passenger, but you can deselect that checkbox and add a new name and (importantly) a new FF#. Of course, then you use your name and BAEC # and it should all go forward fine from there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.