Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flying to GRU -- flights listed as GOL but operated by AA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2024, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat

I'm flying to GRU for the first time since the Pandemic. I used to take AA/LATAM, but I see that the Delta has allied with LATAM and AA is now partially GOL. I see codeshared flights changing in Miami that appear to be AA metal.

What classes would be on these planes? I assume that this would be the same as the AA flights I've taken in the past (economy, premium economy and business). I would be like to business class and would be looking for lay flat seats on the overnight part of the flight.

I have questions about elite status and mileage accrual. I'm BA Gold for Life (hence Executive Plat equivalent) although my AA status is Plat for Life. If I book on GOL as opposed to AA in business class, what kind of mileage would I be accruing? Which lounge would I be able to use in MIA? In GRU?

I have no status on Delta but wonder if I would be better off flying Delta/LATAM.

What is your experience? Thanks.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 1:47 pm

The economy ticket was more than $100 less on Gol than on AA and included a checked bag ($120 on AA?). However, no AA miles were earned.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 4:19 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Once you identify flights of interest, you can lookup the seat maps for the flight numbers on ExpertFlyer. Or just run some searches on AA website and see which cabins you can purchase tickets in.

Per AA website, you should earn points:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...l-airlines.jsp

Perhaps previous poster was denied mileage because fare was in a class not listed? (Just guessing)

LPs should be earned based on multiple factors, including flight distance, fare class, status, etc.
Here is a link to an LP calculator:
https://lpcalculator.com/#/calculator

But if you purchase through AA, points will be earned purely by ticket cost and status. For Platinum, the multiplier is 8. So if your ticket is $500, you will earn about 4000 LPs and redeemable miles.

Regarding lounge access, it looks like GOL is not in OneWorld, so my guess is you would not be able to use the OW lounges if you purchase through GOL. But if you purchase through AA, you would have access in MIA to the Admirals Clubs. (Someone can correct me if wrong)
Phillbsb1979 likes this.

Last edited by WannaTheater; Apr 10, 2024 at 4:31 am
Old Apr 10, 2024, 6:11 am

Programs: Travel Agent for Four Seasons Preferred program, Marriott Stars, Hyatt Prive, Rosewood Elite
Originally Posted by shawbridge
I'm flying to GRU for the first time since the Pandemic. I used to take AA/LATAM, but I see that the Delta has allied with LATAM and AA is now partially GOL. I see codeshared flights changing in Miami that appear to be AA metal.

What classes would be on these planes? I assume that this would be the same as the AA flights I've taken in the past (economy, premium economy and business). I would be like to business class and would be looking for lay flat seats on the overnight part of the flight.

I have questions about elite status and mileage accrual. I'm BA Gold for Life (hence Executive Plat equivalent) although my AA status is Plat for Life. If I book on GOL as opposed to AA in business class, what kind of mileage would I be accruing? Which lounge would I be able to use in MIA? In GRU?

I have no status on Delta but wonder if I would be better off flying Delta/LATAM.

What is your experience? Thanks.
AA has First in some flights from MIA. GOL only economy and economy premium in a 737-MAX (it's a horrible flight from Miami, no wi-fi or individual entertainment), but they don't have MIA-GRU direct flights (they land first in Brasilia)

AA has a dedicated lounge in GRU.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 8:53 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by boboqui
The economy ticket was more than $100 less on Gol than on AA and included a checked bag ($120 on AA?). However, no AA miles were earned.
The screenshot says that the booking code is not correct, not the mileage earning. I have always earned AA miles and loyalty points from G3 flights and all have been posted during the one week after the flights. I would ask the mileage credit again through the contact form.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Jaenks
The screenshot says that the booking code is not correct, not the mileage earning. I have always earned AA miles and loyalty points from G3 flights and all have been posted during the one week after the flights. I would ask the mileage credit again through the contact form.
Because it says "Ineligible Booking Code," my guess is a fare that did not earn miles on AA.

If the code is indeed listed, I would absolutely try to get credit.
Antarius likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 11:42 am

Programs: Travel Agent for Four Seasons Preferred program, Marriott Stars, Hyatt Prive, Rosewood Elite
Originally Posted by Jaenks
Did this, miles credited in 4 days from submission...
WannaTheater likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.