Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Overhead reading lights not working on new 788s in J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2024, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam

Traveled on two different 788s in TATL J. Both planes only 2 years old and both had inop overhead reading lights across the cabin. Anyone else experience this?
Old Apr 6, 2024, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Yeah. Mine was inop as well last week. Flew on N877BF, which is also one of the new delivery 788s with the Super Diamond seats.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Also inop on N884 and N885. So, I guess that’s a known fault at AA.
Antarius likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Also inop on N884 and N885. So, I guess that’s a known fault at AA.
Interesting catch! I didn't think anything of it at the time; just figured that my seat was not working (and the shoulder reading light is usually what I use anyway).
willoL likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
The way the media has been dumping on Boeing lately, this should be headline news any day now! " Widespread Electrical issues affecting all..." or some crazy BS
as a Mechanic, I would think the reading lights on the aircraft would be one of the simpler systems to diagnose and repair.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 10:58 pm

I used to carry an attachable clip light, just for these situations.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 1:39 am

As the seat as a built in reading light, the overhead reading lights have likely been deliberately decommissioned.
infrequentwings and PLeblond like this.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 10:55 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by wowzimmer
As the seat as a built in reading light, the overhead reading lights have likely been deliberately decommissioned.
That was my assumption the last time I flew one of these. Perhaps because the overhead lights would be more likely to disturb other pax on an overnight flight. IMO the shoulder light is OK for eating and finding things around the seat but the overhead light does a better job for reading. Assuming it is aimed correctly, which it sometimes is not.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 12:47 pm

Location: Seattle, WA & Red Lodge, MT (USA) and Cumbria, England
Programs: AA Platinum for Life, AS MVP Gold 100K, Marriott Titanium for Life, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by roadtriper
The way the media has been dumping on Boeing lately, this should be headline news any day now! " Widespread Electrical issues affecting all..." or some crazy BS
as a Mechanic, I would think the reading lights on the aircraft would be one of the simpler systems to diagnose and repair.
It could be a plane issue, but it's just as feasible (maybe MORE likely, if it's only an issue with AA's new seats) it is a problem with the seats (which are not made by Boeing). I agree with your sentiment - the press loves a catchy headline (even when not true).
Old Apr 7, 2024, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Red L
It could be a plane issue, but it's just as feasible (maybe MORE likely, if it's only an issue with AA's new seats) it is a problem with the seats (which are not made by Boeing).
Perhaps someone could simply ask the FAs the next time they encounter this? If it was a fleet wide issue with the lights or seats (or as speculated, “by design”), presumably they would be aware of it.

I agree with your sentiment - the press loves a catchy headline (even when not true).
Given that this hasn’t been reported in the press, this part of the discussion is purely hypothetical and off-topic, but I’ll just observe that some (many) people also love to bash the press. The press certainly isn’t perfect, and never has been, but the country and the world would be a worse place without a free press. As a free citizen/resident, choose your press wisely and the market will hopefully take care of the bad apples.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wowzimmer
The 772 also has the same seats and built in reading light and the overheads work. Same with the 789s.

Not saying that you're not correct, but this has not been the modus operandi by AA thus far.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 12:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by roadtriper
Well - yeah - it isn't like there have been some pretty serious issues with Boeing aeroplanes - those plug style doors are expected to come off in flight arnt they
Old Apr 8, 2024, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Well - yeah - it isn't like there have been some pretty serious issues with Boeing aeroplanes - those plug style doors are expected to come off in flight arnt they
Not making light of the serious issues at/with Boeing ,
.but since that door plug failed, anytime they can put Boeing in the title of a story they run with it,and most of it is Maintenance issues/or just component failures not Boeing Issues
Old Apr 8, 2024, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Don’t have knowledge of any carrier ever disabling overhead reading lights as a standard practice. Assuming it’s a software glitch AA has decided it’s not interested in debugging. At least these new aircraft have center seat dividers.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 11:43 am

Programs: Some/Most/All
Originally Posted by Antarius
Same with the 789s.
I only have one longhaul trip on an AA 787, and that on the 789, but I remember some quirk with regard to the overhead light. It worked, but the controls were not intuitive in some way I can't clearly recall. IIRC, one of the controls at or around the seat worked, but the other(s?) did not. I want to say the seat control did not, but the IFE control did, but -again- don't quote me on that, it's quite fuzzy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.