Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The best and the worst Admirals Clubs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2024, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
Let me start this discussion by saying that, unlike in what by my estimate is approximately 62.3% of the participants on this board, I am not here to complain. The fact that some Admirals Clubs are not as good as others doesn’t change the fact that I usually am happy that I have lounge access, but also do not feel obligated to sit in a lounge that doesn’t make me happy. (Not an Admirals Club, but when I flew MSY-DCA on Monday, I chose to sit at the gate rather than at the lounge to which I have access, where I would have sat in uncomfortable seats and ate crappy food that I didn’t really want, and instead splurged by spending $5 for my double short latte from Starbucks and took it to the gate.)

Ok, now that I got that out of my system, it seems to me that the best and worst clubs may both be at DCA, with the best being the new E club and the worst being the old C and D clubs. Agree or disagree?

I’m certain that many of you have been to more clubs than I have, and at JFK, DFW, LAX, and LHR, I’m usually in the Flagship Lounge or, in the case of LHR, in the CX lounge, so don’t have recent memories of those ACs.)
First of all you can't compare AC to Flagship lounge. That said, I am a regular(5 or more times a year) DCA flyer. I find the clubs to me more than satisfactory. Clt in my view has the worst AC anywhere and it is the worst airport in the AA system.
YMMV
Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by pksundevil
Over the last 3 days, I was in the PHL, ORD and RDU clubs, and the RDU one is a gem. Friendly staff, plenty of space.
RDU is my home base. I really like that AC, even with the 90s vibe of the decor. Friendly folks, as you mentioned, and I haven't seen it crowded yet.
prathetkrungthep likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:09 pm

PHX low A, with only ONE bathroom stall for 200 people is crazy. At a minimum I would at least like to be able to use the bathroom in the Admirals Club.

The high A shouldn’t be considered a club at all. More like a gathering in a living room.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I think a good “honorable mention “ is DFW-E
It’s quiet , laid-back, and friendly, plus there is a Whataburger nearby to grab and eat in the lounge.
My biggest complaint is that the AS gate isn’t closer, but that’s not AA’s problem
luv2swim likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
ACs:
Worst: CLT
Best: SFO (was pleasantly surprised)

Any of the Flagship Biz lounges are my favorite, including the Greenwich at JFK
ChanelCinq and madmanshoney like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Fave ACs: DCA E, ORD G, LGA, SFO... maybe LAX T5
Least fave: CLT
KBMIFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:33 pm
pH

Programs: AA EXP
I agree with many upthread, so throwing in some with limited mentions:

Best: MEX (best drinks in the entire AA system, decor from the 1990's but it is never crowded)
Worst: MCO (newer decor but dreadfully, dreadfully overcrowded and a terrible two-story layout)

That said, I've found lovely staff at almost all AC locations!

Will be visiting the AUS and IAH clubs for the first time shortly.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Hyatt Globalist, DL Silv, Hilton Dim, Marriot Gld, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jmj9905
it is the worst airport in the AA system.
Totally agree. CLT needs to total revamp. At least a 40min walk from one end to E to A yet MCT is 30mins.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by steamboatdevil
PHX low A, with only ONE bathroom stall for 200 people is crazy. At a minimum I would at least like to be able to use the bathroom in the Admirals Club.
Seems you are the second or third person to mention the toilets....is that a old guy thing or what? lol
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by Catbert10
Rating clubs is so subjective it's hard to really compare. So much depends on what a user finds important. Take my home airport AC in AUS. In terms of crowds, decor, up-to-date furniture, it's one of the worst. In terms of staff, it's absolutely the best.
I'll second this for the frumpy, dumpy, tired, crowded, dank ATL AC. Maybe not the best staff but as my home airport for now, they've always gotten me out of a bad travel day when needed.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 3:15 am

I agree with everyone on PHX high A and low A. It's not great but PHX B is the best of the 3.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 3:43 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by steamboatdevil

The high A shouldn’t be considered a club at all. More like a gathering in a living room.
Phoenix is just awful and unfortunately my home base. It's one of the reasons I've started flying UA out of T3 a lot more often. Their newish club isn't huge and can get crowded as well, but at least it doesn't look like a dump. I've gotten so I don't even bother to go into the AC's in T4 which really has been making me wonder why I pay for a membership.

On the good side, as was mentioned above, I also like the MEX lounge. Rarely any people in there, service is friendly, and several times I've had the pleasure of the electric cart waiting for me outside the club to take me on the long haul to the AA gates. Also, while GRU is something of an unpleasant airport, the club there is quite nice... very spacious with pretty decent food choices. Domestically, I like TPA quite a bit... the whole airport is a pleasure to deal with an the AC is nice as well.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I flew out to CLT from TBIT this morning. Had no idea no AC’s here!
Old Mar 29, 2024, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by boomer6954
...RDU and Tampa getting honorable mentions..
TPA has a great location and view going for it along with friendly staff, but, OOFF. Seriously dated. And weak and awkward food and self-serve drink set-up. Definitely going back to the 90s and USAirways (even USAir?) days. Like a bad bank branch. No semblance of anything related to current branding or "look" of hub ACs.

I believe AUS getting new club, but current one is dirty, waaaaaaay beat up and dark as heck. The bat cave.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by tampaFL42
TPA has a great location and view going for it along with friendly staff, but, OOFF. Seriously dated. And weak and awkward food and self-serve drink set-up. Definitely going back to the 90s and USAirways (even USAir?) days. Like a bad bank branch. No semblance of anything related to current branding or "look" of hub ACs.

I believe AUS getting new club, but current one is dirty, waaaaaaay beat up and dark as heck. The bat cave.
What do you mean awkward food? I agree having to go to the bar for a coke is annoying and wish they would install a freestyle machine. Their food offerings are the same as any other AC.
ChanelCinq likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.