Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LP level question - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2024, 10:47 am
ffI
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
LP level question - advice needed

I hit 250k LPs with some judicious spend pushing me over.
Options - 2 SWUs or 30k milex x2 choices = 4 SWUs / 60k miles / 2 choices of Gold

I signed up for the Alaska challenge as a DM on Delta - I have 6 upgrades on AS (which can be used on AS/AA)
I already have 2 SWUs from 175k
How easy are SWU to use ?- Should I just take the miles and run?

I have been on DL and UA more recently though I do go cross country on AA as well if upgrade space is open
DL has made it easy to confirm my GUCs and RUCs at booking even with a 1 stop (I find via DTW better than ATL)
US almost always wait lists my plus points (and when I run out I have a friend who gives me more)
Old Mar 24, 2024, 11:42 am

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
I have had dozens of SWU over the years. My first time using them i made the mistake of just booking any flight and then applying the swu. i got lucky and it was confirmed at boarding. The thing is once you have SWU in your wallet you can see what inventory is confirmable at booking for a SWU. if you have flexibility on your travel dates, then this is the way to go. I NEVER ONCE missed using a SWU this way. so now the issue is how do you fly? If you fly a lot to europe as an example (or other expensive tickets) you can buy $500 of $1000 tickets in coach and confirm in business at the time of booking. thats a value of $3k easily. SWU are a no brainer.
MasterPlanner likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I took the SWUs. I cant recall a time where i wanted to use one and was unable. And in >20 years of playing this game only once did I have some leftover that were going to expire (which i donated on here.)
Old Mar 24, 2024, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by stant
I NEVER ONCE missed using a SWU this way. so now the issue is how do you fly? If you fly a lot to europe as an example (or other expensive tickets) you can buy $500 of $1000 tickets in coach and confirm in business at the time of booking. thats a value of $3k easily. SWU are a no brainer.
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
I took the SWUs. I cant recall a time where i wanted to use one and was unable. And in >20 years of playing this game only once did I have some leftover that were going to expire (which i donated on here.)
+1. I’ve only missed once having a SWU clear (when waitlisted) in a decade + of TATL and TPAC uses. I’ve missed more on PHL-LAX (twice) than on overseas flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.