Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Oneworld Emerald-Do I get free economy plus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2024, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Gold 75K

I'm Oneworld Emerald (Alaska 100K). I'm looking at buying an economy ticket from PHL to LIS. Would that ticket be eligible for an immediate upgrade to Economy Plus? I know that's how it generally works on domestic flights but wasn't sure if that was the case internationally. The AA chatbot was zero help.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by sjbsf
I'm Oneworld Emerald (Alaska 100K). I'm looking at buying an economy ticket from PHL to LIS. Would that ticket be eligible for an immediate upgrade to Economy Plus? I know that's how it generally works on domestic flights but wasn't sure if that was the case internationally. The AA chatbot was zero help.
I assume you're talking about Main Cabin Extra (MCE) as AA doesn't have economy plus? MCE is just economy seats with slightly more legroom...
Old Mar 19, 2024, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Do you mean Premium Economy? AA offers PE on 787s which it flies from PHL to LIS, but there are no instant upgrades, even for AA EXPs. Day of upgrades, if seats remain empty, yes. (But not sure if that applies to Alaska 100ks.)
Old Mar 19, 2024, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PE is a separate class of travel between economy and business
Seating business 1-2-1 vs PE 2-3-2 vs Economy 3-3-3
https://www.aerolopa.com/aa-788

Edit
OP's thread on same topic in AS forum
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-upgrades.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 19, 2024 at 2:14 pm
Old Mar 19, 2024, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Gold 75K
I was referring to Premium Economy on the flight from PHL to LIS. I wondered if the upgrade from Economy to Premium Economy was automatic for Oneworld Emerald. Sounds like the answer is no.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 1:25 pm

I was referring to Premium Economy on the flight from PHL to LIS. I wondered if the upgrade from Economy to Premium Economy was automatic for Oneworld Emerald. Sounds like the answer is no.
The answer for OWE is No because OWEs are not entitled to upgrades on AA. AA EXP’s do get day-of upgrades to PE on international flights if seats remain. I don’t know about Alaska - AS 100Ks may get the same, as they do get the equivalent of SWUs.

Regardless, it is never instant. Only day of flight.

Last edited by CMTinPHL; Mar 19, 2024 at 1:31 pm Reason: Added info…
Old Mar 19, 2024, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
AA's entire widebody fleet of 777s and 787s is fitted with Premium Economy, but there are no free upgrades to oneworld elites on long-haul flights; the only passengers who qualify for free upgrades from Y to PE are CK and EXP elites using a systemwide upgrade to J and then if the upgrade doesn't clear, those pax qualify for a free PE upgrade. As a CK, I have gotten several free upgrades to PE without evening requesting a systemwide upgrade but that's technically not a published benefit.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first
As a CK, I have gotten several free upgrades to PE without evening requesting a systemwide upgrade but that's technically not a published benefit.
I think EXP get free upgrades to PE without having applied an SWU? Anecdotally it’s what I’ve read here. Last time a SWU did not clear for me was pre-PE… guess I’ve been lucky.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMTinPHL
I think EXP get free upgrades to PE without having applied an SWU? Anecdotally it’s what I’ve read here. Last time a SWU did not clear for me was pre-PE… guess I’ve been lucky.
Can't say with certainty since I'm CK. However, I have read posts here about EXPs who were complaining about gate agents not knowing the right protocol and they were denied a free upgrade to PE after their SWUs didn't clear.

Either way, AA doesn't have an official published benefit confirming that CKs and EXPs are entitled to free PE upgrades.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
How soon before AA starts selling upgrades to PE on the app? Just a matter of time I bet.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
How soon before AA starts selling upgrades to PE on the app? Just a matter of time I bet.
Huh? They are - and have been - doing that for quite a while now.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by bse118
But why ruin a complaint?
hhdl likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bse118
Thanks. I had no idea.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMTinPHL
But why ruin a complaint?
Really?

Old Mar 19, 2024, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
Thanks. I had no idea.
MIA LHR PE upgrade for as little as $109 at the 24-hour mark; my friend is only PLAT and she took the offer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.