Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HNL-LAX-JFK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2024, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

HNL-LAX-JFK

Just got an award ticket from HNL to JFK connecting at LAX.

1. I know I'll have lounge access at LAX, but do I get it at HNL too if connecting to a premium transcon route?

2. Will there be sundaes on these flights? HNL departure is 9:40 PM. LAX is 1 PM.

3. I was able to book the LAX to JFK in F for a surprisingly low price. Is it still the real F, or does the lower price mean its really business with an F seat?
Old Mar 17, 2024, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by trebex
3. I was able to book the LAX to JFK in F for a surprisingly low price. Is it still the real F, or does the lower price mean its really business with an F seat?
Have you tried selecting a seat on the LAX-JFK leg?
Old Mar 17, 2024, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Yes. It is the F configuration. I got row 3.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 5:32 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Is it still the real F, or does the lower price mean its really business with an F seat?
You just perfectly described the current state of AA three-cabin F ;-)
skunker, Antarius, renila and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

1. I know I'll have lounge access at LAX, but do I get it at HNL too if connecting to a premium transcon route?

2. Will there be sundaes on these flights? HNL departure is 9:40 PM. LAX is 1 PM.

This is all too vague, more info please, what flight #'s?
Old Mar 17, 2024, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

AA 144 and AA 274.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
AA 144 and AA 274.
That is 3 Class F.

That said, AA F is underwhelming, to say the least. It's unlikely that you'll walk away feeling like you got a bargain.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
1) Yes, lounge access at HNL in addition to LAX (and JFK).
2) Yes on LAX-JFK. Unsure about HNL-LAX.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND

The lounge at HNL is a shared AA/JL lounge called "Sakura" and food offerings are very limited.

HNL LAX is over 2,500 miles so it should get a sundae.

LAX JFK in 3-class F: Expect nothing impressive, more like a glorified J product but at least you won't have anyone sitting next to you thanks to the 1x1 configuration
renila likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 8:21 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
The sakura lounge is great and in my opinion has tastier food than most domestic admirals clubs.
CMTinPHL and bundubasher like this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold

Yes, as long as you are connecting LAX-JFK on the same calendar day as your arrival on HNL-LAX. Be ready to present both boarding passes at the HNL club.

HNL-West Coast is not considered a Flagship route. However, LAX-JFK is a Flagship route, so you would receive sundaes in F and J on Lunch and Dinner flights.

3. I was able to book the LAX to JFK in F for a surprisingly low price. Is it still the real F, or does the lower price mean it's really business with an F seat?
All of AA's nonstop LAX-JFK flights are Flagship. However, as you noted, in A321T First Class, the hard product (physical seat) is actually the same make/model as the seat currently offered in Business Class on the 777-300.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by ESpen36

HNL-West Coast is not considered a Flagship route. However, LAX-JFK is a Flagship route, so you would receive sundaes in F and J on Lunch and Dinner flights.

Flagship is not what determines if a flight qualifies for sundaes, but rather, the flight being at least 2,200 miles and serving lunch or dinner, which is why CLT-LAX doesn't get sundaes, but PHL-LAX does, for example.
CMTinPHL and A321T like this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
Flagship is not what determines if a flight qualifies for sundaes, but rather, the flight being at least 2,200 miles and serving lunch or dinner, which is why CLT-LAX doesn't get sundaes, but PHL-LAX does, for example.
Does PHL-LAX get the real deal, made-to-order sundaes with toppings? Or just a premade ice cream dessert? (I am aware of some routes that the get premade ice cream dessert.)
Old Mar 18, 2024, 3:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Does PHL-LAX get the real deal, made-to-order sundaes with toppings? Or just a premade ice cream dessert? (I am aware of some routes that the get premade ice cream dessert.)
Yes, made-to-order sundaes with toppings on PHL-LAX, and any flight over 2,200 miles (which all Hawaii flights automatically are).

And actually, all Hawaii flights, regardless of length, get a dinner/snack on redeyes back to the continental US (ie, HNL-LAX). However, LAX-PHL, for example, gets nothing on redeyes. LAX-JFK is a Flagship route and gets a dinner/snack on the redeye. I know, it's a bit confusing.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Flying 3-class F LAX-JFK should also allow access to the Chelsea Lounge at JFK upon arrival, if you desire.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.