Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Cancelling flight within a multi-city itinerary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2024, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

Before I call AA, I want to be sure this is even possible:

I booked a multi-city trip - I want to cancel a flight within it (not the first or last segment). Is it possible to do that without losing the remainder of the itinerary?
Old Mar 7, 2024, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Pinned
Before I call AA, I want to be sure this is even possible:

I booked a multi-city trip - I want to cancel a flight within it (not the first or last segment). Is it possible to do that without losing the remainder of the itinerary?
What you want to do cannot be done, at least not in the way you are hoping. The fare you purchased was based on that specific routing. If you change the routing, the ticket will have to be refared.
KBMIFlyer and funnyfarm299 like this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Kacee
What you want to do cannot be done, at least not in the way you are hoping. The fare you purchased was based on that specific routing. If you change the routing, the ticket will have to be refared.
Thanks for the answer. That is what I figured - should have bought it as separate tickets as I usually do.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 12:17 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Without a middle connector, it basically becomes 2 one way tickets and re-ticketed and priced as such. You don't even have to call to do this. You can just cancel the whole multi-itinerary trip online and rebook the 2 one ways with the credits you get back.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
We don't know if it was a single fare or multiple ones. If it was domestic and the multi-city itin had at least 4 hours or more between segments, each segment would be priced on a separate fare. But even if so, it's still the case that you can't just cancel the middle fare and keep the existing ones on the other segments. They will both get re-priced.

Domestically, it generally won't make any difference in price if you book fares seperately on different tickets, or on a single ticket with multi-city. There are, however, some smaller stations where AA still has roundtrip fare filings and booking as multi-city may save some money depending on routing (where you may qualify for a roundtrip fare depending on distances of legs). For example, the cheapest one-way Main AA fares on LEX-DFW are $374 (GVAWZNN1 fares), but if you qualify for a roundtrip fare for LEX-DFW segment, it can be as low as $223 in Main (QVBIKSMZ fares).

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 8, 2024 at 6:55 pm
Old Mar 10, 2024, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PHL
Without a middle connector, it basically becomes 2 one way tickets and re-ticketed and priced as such. You don't even have to call to do this. You can just cancel the whole multi-itinerary trip online and rebook the 2 one ways with the credits you get back.
Sure, but the two segments OP wants to keep will reprice.
Originally Posted by xliioper
We don't know if it was a single fare or multiple ones.
For purposes of OP's question, it doesn't matter. The bottom line is you can't just cancel the middle segment and keep the other two without refaring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.