Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Ex Plat -> Buying Basic Economy -> Using SWU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2024, 9:30 am
Original Poster

I know this has been discussed but I've struggled to find details in search.

Short question is, as an EP, buying a domestic ticket with immediately confirmable upgrade space via SWU, which of the "bad elements" of buying basic economy still apply after I complete that transaction?

I know most of the stuff won't matter, like I'll be able to check bags and of course I'll be sitting in a domestic F seat. But what carries over? Is the ticket still impossible to change or refund for flight credit? Or does any of that stuff drop off because it's been upgraded (or because I'm EP)?

I've never considered BE in my life but on this one the price difference to main cabin is substantial, and I have the extra SWUs so I'm considering it for the first time.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Lower mileage earning and the inability to change/cancel are the only drawbacks to purchasing BE as an AA elite. Whether you upgrade with a SWU is irrelevant in that sense.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by edwin_p_morales
I know this has been discussed but I've struggled to find details in search.

Short question is, as an EP, buying a domestic ticket with immediately confirmable upgrade space via SWU, which of the "bad elements" of buying basic economy still apply after I complete that transaction?

I know most of the stuff won't matter, like I'll be able to check bags and of course I'll be sitting in a domestic F seat. But what carries over? Is the ticket still impossible to change or refund for flight credit? Or does any of that stuff drop off because it's been upgraded (or because I'm EP)?

I've never considered BE in my life but on this one the price difference to main cabin is substantial, and I have the extra SWUs so I'm considering it for the first time.
Keep in mind that the upgrade will not be immediately confirmable.

With a BE fare, you need to give the system a couple of hours to recognize your elite status and then change your fare code. B-coded fares cannot be upgraded, even with agent intervention.

As @JJeffrey pointed out, none of the restrictions that applied when you purchased the ticket will change or be relaxed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.