Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Will AA help if customs take too long in Charlotte and I miss my connecting flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will AA help if customs take too long in Charlotte and I miss my connecting flight?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2024, 6:37 am
Original Poster

If I travel from Paris to Charlotte and have 2 hours and 30 minutes to get to my connecting flight (on a Friday or Saturday), is this enough time to get through customs/immigrations and still get to my connecting flight at Charlotte? What happens if the lines are so long and I miss my connecting flight? Do I have to get a new flight at my own expense? Do the airlines (AA) help with this? Sorry if this is a dumb question - I haven't flown much in recent years but hope to change that. Thanks!
Old Mar 7, 2024, 8:08 am

Is this all on one ticket? Or booked on separate tickets?
Do you have Global Entry?
Will you have checked luggage?
Old Mar 7, 2024, 8:21 am
Original Poster

It is one ticket/one reservation for a one way flight from Paris, with a connection in Charlotte. No checked luggage. Do not have Global Entry
Old Mar 7, 2024, 9:17 am

They will assist you in rebooking

Originally Posted by redfrog
It is one ticket/one reservation for a one way flight from Paris, with a connection in Charlotte. No checked luggage. Do not have Global Entry
funnyfarm299 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 9:18 am

Outside of a very, very delayed flight, you'll be fine. As yes, in your situation, AA will get you on another flight in case you miss your connection.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
With no bags 2.5 hrs is plenty of time.

At CLT, once you pass through immigration/customs/security you'll wish that you only had a 1.5 hr connection versus 2.5.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 12:04 pm

You have plenty of time and AA will rebook you on the next available flight. My experience last year in Charlotte, we arrived late and baggage was very slow. When I got my bag I went through customs and there was a person diverting passengers who would misconnect. Sent us to a check in desk instead of just a baggage drop. This was about 5:50pm, my flight was 6:20pm. The check in desk was quite slow. The next flight at about 8pm was full so they confirmed me on the last flight, about 10pm but put me on standby for the 8pm flight. Eventually my standby cleared and they put me in first class. This is not unusual for misconnects, they will try to take care of you. When I finished at the check in desk I went to see if I would have made my original flight. It was slow because I had to go through security again. I made it to the gate about 6:15pm, the plane was there but the flight was closed, doors shut.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Hornetcoach
You have plenty of time and AA will rebook you on the next available flight. My experience last year in Charlotte, we arrived late and baggage was very slow. When I got my bag I went through customs and there was a person diverting passengers who would misconnect. Sent us to a check in desk instead of just a baggage drop. This was about 5:50pm, my flight was 6:20pm. The check in desk was quite slow. The next flight at about 8pm was full so they confirmed me on the last flight, about 10pm but put me on standby for the 8pm flight. Eventually my standby cleared and they put me in first class. This is not unusual for misconnects, they will try to take care of you. When I finished at the check in desk I went to see if I would have made my original flight. It was slow because I had to go through security again. I made it to the gate about 6:15pm, the plane was there but the flight was closed, doors shut.
It sounds like you would have made the connection if you hadn't wanted time at the check in desk. I would have been very upset.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 5 MM
Try using the CBP MPC app. It is easy and quick to complete and then you can use the Global Entry lanes.
ZenFlyer and KBMIFlyer like this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 1:32 pm

I was a bit upset at first because I thought I could make my flight but I wasn’t expecting to have to go through security changing terminals. The real issue was how slow baggage claim was. Anyway if I had made the flight there is a good chance my bags wouldn’t have made.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
At CLT, once you pass through immigration/customs/security you'll wish that you only had a 1.5 hr connection versus 2.5.
Hahaha

Find a barstool and relax
Old Mar 7, 2024, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
If I travel from Paris to Charlotte and have 2 hours and 30 minutes to get to my connecting flight (on a Friday or Saturday), is this enough time to get through customs/immigrations and still get to my connecting flight at Charlotte? What happens if the lines are so long and I miss my connecting flight? Do I have to get a new flight at my own expense? Do the airlines (AA) help with this? Sorry if this is a dumb question - I haven't flown much in recent years but hope to change that. Thanks!
Just to clarify, since you say you are out of the habit of flying, the reason everyone is saying with confidence that AA would help with a misconnect is because your flights are part of single reservation. If you had two separate reservations the airline might assist but would not be obliged to.
redfrog and funnyfarm299 like this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hardlanding
Try using the CBP MPC app. It is easy and quick to complete and then you can use the Global Entry lanes.
Never heard of this, thanks! is this something I can do ahead of time (like before I even leave USA), or is this something I do on my flight on the way home for example?
Old Mar 7, 2024, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Never heard of this, thanks! is this something I can do ahead of time (like before I even leave USA), or is this something I do on my flight on the way home for example?
See detailed information here: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citize...ssport-control
Old Mar 8, 2024, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
So I would also have to have Global Entry for this, is that correct? The app is free, but global entry is not free. Maybe I am mis-understanding what you are saying, so clarification is appreciated. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.