Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any AA flights between Caribbean Islands

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2024, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Any AA flights between Caribbean Islands

Is there any flights between islands in Caribbean sea?

For example Barbados and St lucia ?
I am planning trip many caribbean islands, and I want to use points.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 11:44 am

British has some nonstops you can use AA points on, typically between Antigua and a few other islands (on a 777 to boot!) I took the 25 minute long 777 business class from St Kitts to Antigua using points and I've in the past seen a route or two more like that. If i recall at some point they had Antigua to Turks and Caicos.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 11:50 am

AA does have partners in the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, but not down in that neck of the Caribbean you're looking at.

At best it's not easy, and at worst it can be downright painful, island hopping in the Caribbean. Especially extensive island hopping. In High season there's a few stable options (all not AA affiliated). They become less stable in shoulder & low seasons.

You can try Caribbean Air, InterCaribbean Air, and Bequia Air. They are cheap puddle jumpers, if you buy tickets in advance. (Well, the first two are. Bequia Air is much nicer and also more pricey.)
Old Mar 6, 2024, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by john_ft
British has some nonstops you can use AA points on, typically between Antigua and a few other islands (on a 777 to boot!) I took the 25 minute long 777 business class from St Kitts to Antigua using points and I've in the past seen a route or two more like that. If i recall at some point they had Antigua to Turks and Caicos.
Yes, I did the BA flight once from Turks and Caicos to Nassau. Very nice!

You got lucky - I haven't looked often but can't ever recall seeing those inter-island BA flights come available on points! Good Find!
Old Mar 6, 2024, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by john_ft
Did you redeem AAdvantage miles for that flight? The AAdvantage partner award chart indicates that for intra-Caribbean flights, "Any flight within the Caribbean requires a separate award and is only valid on Seaborne Virgin Islands."

If the OP has or can get some BA Avios, then those BA intra-Caribbean flights might be an option.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Did you redeem AAdvantage miles for that flight? The AAdvantage partner award chart indicates that for intra-Caribbean flights, "Any flight within the Caribbean requires a separate award and is only valid on Seaborne Virgin Islands."

If the OP has or can get some BA Avios, then those BA intra-Caribbean flights might be an option.
This was several years ago, but i thought i had used aa points at the time. Either they changed the rule or I'm mistaken and i used avios.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 9:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Alanmies39
Is there any flights between islands in Caribbean sea?

For example Barbados and St lucia ?
I am planning trip many caribbean islands, and I want to use points.
BA flies from St Lucia to Grenada and Tobago (of Trinidad & Tobago).; Antigua to St Kitts; Bahamas to Cayman Isl and Turks & Caicos. Whether you can book these with AA points I can't say.

AA flies to a couple dozen of them from Miami, but I'm almost positive there are no AA flights between islands.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 9:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

AA used to operate a number of Caribbean flights in continuous circle patterns during the early and mid 1980s. I remember SXM, PTP, and FDF, in particular, were included in them. I think they stopped most of those before they built up (and subsequently tore down) their SJU hub.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
BA flies from St Lucia to Grenada and Tobago (of Trinidad & Tobago).; Antigua to St Kitts; Bahamas to Cayman Isl and Turks & Caicos. Whether you can book these with AA points I can't say.

AA flies to a couple dozen of them from Miami, but I'm almost positive there are no AA flights between islands.
Yes, but BA J rates between UVF and TAB are usually over $600 USD which is absurd for a flight of just over an hour and they don't even offer a meal
Old Mar 10, 2024, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first
Yes, but BA J rates between UVF and TAB are usually over $600 USD which is absurd for a flight of just over an hour and they don't even offer a meal
The OP said he wants to use points, and most of those intra-Caribbean flights are zone one redemptions (e.g. 8500 points in J), which nearly all of us would deem to be smart (v $600, not so smart).
Old Mar 11, 2024, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by moondog
The OP said he wants to use points, and most of those intra-Caribbean flights are zone one redemptions (e.g. 8500 points in J), which nearly all of us would deem to be smart (v $600, not so smart).
Even with points, it would be a complete waste in J if you ask me. Smaller OW airlines like Srilankan consistently serve meals on flights of 1-1.5 hour in J whilst the OP would just be getting a nicer seat in Club on this route.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
https://www.flightconnections.com/route-map-oneworld
Old Mar 12, 2024, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first
Even with points, it would be a complete waste in J if you ask me. Smaller OW airlines like Srilankan consistently serve meals on flights of 1-1.5 hour in J whilst the OP would just be getting a nicer seat in Club on this route.
The OP didn't specify J, you did. If we use 4k points as our baseline and assume 1.5 cpm, where in the Carribbean can you buy an airplane ticket for $60? Even 10 mile hops often go for north of $200.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 2:28 pm

[QUOTE=fly747first;36070391 Smaller OW airlines like Srilankan consistently serve meals on flights of 1-1.5 hour in J whilst the OP would just be getting a nicer seat in Club on this route.[/QUOTE]

That would be interesting only if Sri Lankan served the hemisphere the OP needed.
moondog, bse118 and funnyfarm299 like this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 1:31 am

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
That would be interesting only if Sri Lankan served the hemisphere the OP needed.
I think his point is that other airlines manage to serve meals for the same length of flight. Why can't AA or BA?
fly747first likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.