Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Low Flagship First Transcon Awards no more?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Low Flagship First Transcon Awards no more?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2024, 8:43 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
For Mint, I would do it only if you can get the throne seats. Even with your spouse... the 2-2 seats have no storage room but the thrones are reasonably spacious and comfortable... as long as you don't get a "deflated" seat.
Thankfully I believe B6 has finished replacing all the old Mint cushions and gotten rid of the air cushion mechanism
platbrownguy and cdubz like this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
Traveling with a companion I would actually pick AA J if you can get two adjacent seats. The real value in F is the 1-1 seating which is less of a factor traveling with a companion. The food is generally the same, lounges the same at BOS and LAX, the service more consistent in J. F is a bit more private but I would take the J consistency even if the difference is small
You must like sharing space with your companion more than my companion does!
Old Feb 26, 2024, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
You must like sharing space with your companion more than my companion does!
Hah let's call it more of a tradeoff I like the J seat itself a bit more (seem to hit my ideal recline position more easily) and I find the J service to be faster plus more consistent. It's not a super long flight and it's far from a culinary experience. So if I'm eating, let's be relatively brisk and let me proceed to do my own thing. I'd of course still take F to be solo or if it were a longer flight, but someone I don't mind being around on a ~6h daytime flight I don't really care. I do really like making an affogato in F though.
platbrownguy likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Bradhattan
Excellent Idea!!! Much better lounges! Thank you for helping remove the domestic blinders from my eyes! The new search begins (but I am still going to search the old one too!).
So time away and low award availability won't allow me to leave the country, so I am back to my original idea to hit all FL plus Chelsea.

I need advice on the LAX - JFK route. I have the following booked:

LAX - JFK in F via 52000 miles award (a miracle)
Also have LAX - JFK in J via cash $659 (same flight as F award.

Today I found A space and could upgrade the J ticket to F for 15,000 miles + $175.

Should I upgrade J or keep F award or something else completely?
Old May 7, 2024, 8:10 pm

So time away and low award availability won't allow me to leave the country, so I am back to my original idea to hit all FL plus Chelsea.

I need advice on the LAX - JFK route. I have the following booked:

Today I found A space and could upgrade the J ticket to F for 15,000 miles + $175.

Depends on your arrival time to JFK. If you'll be arriving in the afternoon/evening and have time to enjoy the Chelsea Lounge, it is a very good experience and worth the cost to upgrade, IMO. JFK Terminal 8 offers one of the best lounge crawls anywhere - they really have done a nice job. Soho is underwhelming, in my opinion, especially given the addition of the tap room and bridge bar in Greenwich. Do not overlook the bridge bar - it's very cool and very non-crowded, as it's a bit tricky to find. It's a very airy, open space and they make better cocktails than they do at Soho. Just don't waste your time drinking swill on the plane, 'cause you'll want to arrive in good form, ready to indulge in Krug/Crystal/other rotating Champagnes at Chelsea. I also find the food at Chelsea ranging from entirely edible to very good.

Basically, the value of the J->F upgrade is entirely tied up in the lounge experience. Yes, I love the 1-1 seating on a narrowbody in F, and the service is (occasionally) a bit more attentive, but this is AA so you know as well as I do that it all depends on your FA. Also, if you're EP, op-ups from LAX-JFK are very common, so that's something to consider. They sell the crap out of the Y->J upgrades, and I'm op-upped about half the time.
Old May 7, 2024, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold

Keep the award. You're only paying 37,000 miles to avoid $834 in cost (and you're only giving up earnings on the $659, because the copay doesn't earn miles). 2.25cpm is a good redemption rate. Enjoy yourself.
ijgordon and ryanbriar like this.
Old May 8, 2024, 9:23 am

As a data point, had my eye on LAX-BOS in early June and was seeing J at 100k and F marginally higher.

A week ago, one of the flights on the day we wanted to traveled dipped. Think J was high 30s and booked two F seats for 51.5k a piece.

So think the algorithm will discount these close in if they are not seeing enough demand. But having to wait and potentially forego other options, while also constantly monitoring is obviously not ideal from an individual perspective.
Old May 8, 2024, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cdubz
As a data point, had my eye on LAX-BOS in early June and was seeing J at 100k and F marginally higher.

A week ago, one of the flights on the day we wanted to traveled dipped. Think J was high 30s and booked two F seats for 51.5k a piece.

So think the algorithm will discount these close in if they are not seeing enough demand. But having to wait and potentially forego other options, while also constantly monitoring is obviously not ideal from an individual perspective.
Thank you! Yes, I have been watching the close in awards too, and they do sometimes present a decent J offer and a more rare decent F. I had booked another F I found for late May but the cost of connecting flights proved prohibitive.
Old May 8, 2024, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gophish11
Depends on your arrival time to JFK. If you'll be arriving in the afternoon/evening and have time to enjoy the Chelsea Lounge, it is a very good experience and worth the cost to upgrade, IMO. JFK Terminal 8 offers one of the best lounge crawls anywhere - they really have done a nice job. Soho is underwhelming, in my opinion, especially given the addition of the tap room and bridge bar in Greenwich. Do not overlook the bridge bar - it's very cool and very non-crowded, as it's a bit tricky to find. It's a very airy, open space and they make better cocktails than they do at Soho. Just don't waste your time drinking swill on the plane, 'cause you'll want to arrive in good form, ready to indulge in Krug/Crystal/other rotating Champagnes at Chelsea. I also find the food at Chelsea ranging from entirely edible to very good.

Basically, the value of the J->F upgrade is entirely tied up in the lounge experience. Yes, I love the 1-1 seating on a narrowbody in F, and the service is (occasionally) a bit more attentive, but this is AA so you know as well as I do that it all depends on your FA. Also, if you're EP, op-ups from LAX-JFK are very common, so that's something to consider. They sell the crap out of the Y->J upgrades, and I'm op-upped about half the time.

Thank you for the details! Appreciated. Yes, this whole trip went from getting some Boudin's sourdough in LAX or SFO then turned into an FL lounge run, with FFD access where available, via a single F class one-way transcon ticket. I will probably spend about $600-$700 on connecting flights in order to get to LAX and home from JFK (via MIA!). I work my butt off so, I am fine allocating time and funds for a lounge run! However, with a 7am start time on day 1, will I care about FFD in MIA on day 2 at 2 in the afternoon after spending the morning at Chelsea for 3+ hours? Can you order FFD to go? LOL. I will eat it on the MIA -CLT route on the way home.

Part of me says this is kinda dumb...the other part wants me to do it more since I have canceled doing this trip twice already!
gophish11 likes this.
Old May 8, 2024, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA
Anecdotally the buy-up offers from J to F on the transcons have also been really poor, > $700. I wonder if AA is trying to gather willingness to pay data for when the business premier or whatever product comes out.
Old May 8, 2024, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by golfer20
Anecdotally the buy-up offers from J to F on the transcons have also been really poor, > $700. I wonder if AA is trying to gather willingness to pay data for when the business premier or whatever product comes out.
I'm currently ticketed into 4 J seats BOS-LAX for next month which I booked a month and a half ago at 29.5k (this is one-way). I have a buy-up offer right now for F for $377/person.

My plans have changed since I booked it and so now I'm hoping there's a major schedule change soon so I can change the date. Given how little time is left until departure I'm not really holding my breath though.
golfer20 likes this.
Old May 10, 2024, 8:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Why??
They're airport lounges. It's not climbing Everest, or running back to back marathons. It's a crummy room, with crummy food, and if you're lucky decent drink.
Even the greatest ones I've been in all my travels, I'd rather be home, a local dive bar with buddies, walking my dog, golfing, pretty much anywhere. The notion is like volunteering for colonoscopies every month.
No - FFD is more like a pretty good restaurant or 4 star hotel's restaurant, and a lot cheaper if you already have access. I wouldn't equate Johnny's steakhouse with a colonoscopy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.