Wiki Posts
Search

AA metal or BA metal--any advantage?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2024, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, AA
AA metal or BA metal--any advantage?

Will be flying through LHR from US in a few months and have not booked the ticket yet. I have choices of routes from CLT , PHL or ORD to LHR, but some are on AA metal and some are BA metal code shared with AA. For the purpose of trying to successfully upgrade with either a miles/cash upgrade or a SWU, is there any advantage to whose metal I am flying on?
Old Feb 21, 2024, 7:19 am

From what I was told asking something like this in the past, the AA hard product is better but the BA service is better. I went with AA last time and had no issues. In fact, I was happier than with a BA flight I had taken weeks before, because AA includes air nozzles in J class.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 7:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by snackyx
Will be flying through LHR from US in a few months and have not booked the ticket yet. I have choices of routes from CLT , PHL or ORD to LHR, but some are on AA metal and some are BA metal code shared with AA. For the purpose of trying to successfully upgrade with either a miles/cash upgrade or a SWU, is there any advantage to whose metal I am flying on?
For upgrade purposes, I'd go with AA. Keep checking the app regularly for the upgrade offers, which can vary literally minute by minute. I wouldn't check THAT often, but if it's something you really want, once a day on the toilet for a quick check wouldn't hurt.
Redhead likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 7:27 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
For cash/miles or SWU, go with AA. AA skips premium economy, for BA you have to be in premium economy to go to business, it does not skip over that cabin.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
For the purpose of trying to successfully upgrade with either a miles/cash upgrade or a SWU, is there any advantage to whose metal I am flying on?
This is easy, for a miles/copay upgrade you have to be on AA metal (unless you want to spend say $3-4k on a full fare premium economy ticket on BA metal and then just hope an upgrade comes through).

But if you're using a SWU it would really come down to availability. As noted on AA metal you can upgrade from discount economy all the way to business, but on BA metal in order to upgrade to business you need to purchase PE (discount PE works for SWU's on BA, unlike miles/copay upgrades).

If you find availability on BA but not AA then I'd definitely consider just purchasing discount PE to lock in the upgrade. Outside of that I'd stick with AA.
FenwayTim likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 1:27 pm

Programs: American, Marriott/spg
BA business class

I have the same concern. The flight to LAX from LHR and vice versa is less expensive if I book the transatlantic portion (via an east coast city or directly to LAX) if it is on BA. However, if I book a business class ticket on the AA website, will I get a lie-down seat on BA? On the AA site you can see that you will get the lie-down seat on AA metal, but can't tell on BA legs. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old Feb 21, 2024, 1:40 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
BA if I’m in Y ; more food and drink offerings. AA if in J or wanting to upgrade.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by pnak
However, if I book a business class ticket on the AA website, will I get a lie-down seat on BA? On the AA site you can see that you will get the lie-down seat on AA metal, but can't tell on BA legs. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Both BA and AA offer lie-flat seats in J on all their TATL flights.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
OP, Expert Flyer is showing:

Edit: AMERICAN AIRLINES

April 29th: one C availability for the 8:35pm non-stop to LHR arriving 10:20am.
April 30th: four C availability for the 8:20am non-stop to LHR arriving 10:10p.
May 6th: one C availability for the 8:20am non-stop to LHR arriving 10:10p.

That was a quick look and I didn't look at returns.

If any work for you, hurry!
Old Feb 21, 2024, 5:37 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by CMTinPHL
Both BA and AA offer lie-flat seats in J on all their TATL flights.
BA has lie-flat, but they arent all direct isle access yet, are they?
Old Feb 21, 2024, 8:58 pm

Programs: Lots
I have the same concern. The flight to LAX from LHR and vice versa is less expensive if I book the transatlantic portion (via an east coast city or directly to LAX) if it is on BA. However, if I book a business class ticket on the AA website, will I get a lie-down seat on BA? On the AA site you can see that you will get the lie-down seat on AA metal, but can't tell on BA legs. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Originally Posted by stant
BA has lie-flat, but they arent all direct isle access yet, are they?
BA has lie flat but two different versions. Avoid the A380 as it is the old Club World seats which are 8 across on the lower deck and 7 across on the upper and are probably the worst lie flat seats currently being used. With a few exceptions windows / middles don’t have direct aisle access, aisles have no barrier whatsoever from people walking by, and they’re staggered forward / rear facing so until you can put the divider up you’ll be essentially staring at a stranger.

Most 777s have the new Club Suite which is very nice, but unfortunately there are a few that have not been refurbished and still have the same seats as the A380, and at least recently, one of the LAX-LHR frequencies has had these seats. You can do a dummy booking on BA to check the layout on a specific flight. If it’s 8 across avoid. If it’s 4 across I would choose that over AA (similar seat but food / drink / service) will probably be better on BA).
Old Feb 21, 2024, 9:21 pm

Really helpful!

Thanks so much for the guidance; how do I do a dummy reservation?
Old Feb 22, 2024, 2:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Thanks so much for the guidance; how do I do a dummy reservation?
just start the process of booking a seat on that flight number on the BA web site and dont follow through when it comes to pay for it.
if you try and do this on the american website you wont be able to see the seats.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 12:25 pm

Dummy reservation

Thanks so much; I had tried on the American site and couldn't see it. I will try it on the BA site.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 12:45 pm

Staying in T5 for your connection is worth something especially if you have a tight connection otherwise I'd go AA
JMN57 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.