Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA raises checked bag fees (as of 20 Feb 2024)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2024, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion

As first reported by JonNYC, AA has raised its bag fees within the United States to an industry high of $40 for the first bag and $45 for the second bag.
Other baggage fees have also increased to/from the Caribbean and Central America.
This just reeks of desperation and even further cements my desire to keep all travel on UA/DL instead of this ghAAstly airline.

https://viewfromthewing.com/american...try-record-40/
hhdl likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 4:50 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
As first reported by JonNYC, AA has raised its bag fees within the United States to an industry high of $40 for the first bag and $45 for the second bag.
Other baggage fees have also increased to/from the Caribbean and Central America.
This just reeks of desperation and even further cements my desire to keep all travel on UA/DL instead of this ghAAstly airline.

Then why do they hawk the CC on every flight (which gives a free checked bag), which negates this change entirely. /S
jlemon likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by S80
Then why do they hawk the CC on every flight (which gives a free checked bag), which negates this change entirely. /S
Because airlines have become credit card companies that fly planes. $40 bag fee is probably too get more people to sign up for their credit card
Spiff, jmw, halls120 and 9 others like this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 5:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness

You’ve got top tier status on two airlines and you care about bag fees?
Old Feb 20, 2024, 5:39 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MarkintheHV
Because airlines have become credit card companies that fly planes. $40 bag fee is probably too get more people to sign up for their credit card
Oh, yes, I completely get the rationale that they want people to sign up for the credit card, to get them into the ecosystem - I just find it interesting that they're making those who don't have a credit card or AAdvantage account (eg those who only fly once a year, and therefore are the most price sensitive consumer), feel even more forced to fit everything into a carry on, which will basically need to get gate checked. It's just putting more work on the GAs and ramp folks, when they're already being pressured to meet D0.
sushanna1 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 5:40 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by MarkintheHV
Exactly this. By increasing the fees, they just gave you more of a reason to get their stupid card.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 6:18 am

Bag fee is now cheaper to Mexico/Caribbean/Central America ($35) than domestic US ($40). But then the credit cards only covers domestic, so that makes sense in a way (to promote their credit card)
wrp96 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 6:36 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Don't really see this is a big deal domestically anyway, it'll just mean (a) more scrambling for overhead bin space & (b) more gate chacking.

Somewhat annoying because it'll precipitate even more gate lice activity.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 7:06 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I just got the email that is pushing bookings to be done direct with AA. That's another thread in itself (how do I know if corporate bookings through Concur/GBT qualify to earn or not?)

However, what is relevant to this thread is that all Aadvantage members can now get a free checked bag. So, all you have to do is join - you don't have to worry about hitting a certain level of status. So much for needing their credit card...
Old Feb 20, 2024, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Don't really see this is a big deal domestically anyway, it'll just mean (a) more scrambling for overhead bin space & (b) more gate chacking.

Somewhat annoying because it'll precipitate even more gate lice activity.
If AA wants to monetize bags, they need to go Spirit/Frontier/many international airlines and make people pay at the gate for oversize bags.

that will cure the boarding chaos very quickly.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 7:39 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by bchandler02
However, what is relevant to this thread is that all Aadvantage members can now get a free checked bag. So, all you have to do is join - you don't have to worry about hitting a certain level of status. So much for needing their credit card...
I have not seen this announced, can you clarify?
Old Feb 20, 2024, 7:47 am
Suspended

I don't think it's fair to say that airlines have become credit card companies that fly planes but it does seem to be a good profit center for them.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JackMackey
I don't think it's fair to say that airlines have become credit card companies that fly planes but it does seem to be a good profit center for them.
the numbers bear this out.

That said, without the planes, there wouldn't be a value to the credit cards and the miles, so they are interdependent.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 8:42 am

Baggage and other fees are a lucrative business for the airlines because they don't have the pay airport and transportation fees on the dollars they collect which is the case with the ticket purchase.
MELso and DASRTR like this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 8:44 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Per Jon, in cabin pet fee also increases $25 to $150 (I believe this is the highest in the industry) plus media bag fee goes from $50 to $60. It does seem like AA is grasping at straws

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.