Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Suspends DFW-SCL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2024, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
AA Suspends DFW-SCL

AA has announced its decision to suspend the Dallas/Fort Worth-Santiago de Chile service for the northern summer (southern winter) season.

This decision seems counterintuitive because many families can only travel in the summer months when school is out--most don't have the option of visiting a destination like Chile in January or February when family members are in school. I also wonder what percentage of passengers on this route are connecting between Chile and Europe--most people visiting Europe will do so in the northern summer season, exactly when this route is suspended.

https://www.aviacionline.com/2024/02...as-fort-worth/
Old Feb 15, 2024, 6:11 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
It’s very sad (and I’m someone who has taken this route before), but considering where things are currently with Chile and Santiago, this is not a surprise. I would think US originating traffic that is pure tourism (not VFR or business) has dropped significantly.
becks1 and TravellingChris like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by dw
It’s very sad (and I’m someone who has taken this route before), but considering where things are currently with Chile and Santiago, this is not a surprise. I would think US originating traffic that is pure tourism (not VFR or business) has dropped significantly.
What things with Chile and Santiago? Economic? Security?
Old Feb 15, 2024, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ESpen36
AA doesn't have enough wide bodies due to Boeing's delays and AA's poor decision to retire nearly new a332s (and endless ongoing idiocy to not reverse this decision).

Instead, theyre likely pulling this for more high yielding routes like LHR, LHR and more LHR.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Fires in the Valparaiso / Vina del Mar region, and elsewhere, likely set by arson. The "National Botanic Park" is largely gone.
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
FWIW, United has also suspended IAH-SCL from April-October this year.

-FlyerBeek
TravellingChris likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by TravellingChris
AA has announced its decision to suspend the Dallas/Fort Worth-Santiago de Chile service for the northern summer (southern winter) season.

This decision seems counterintuitive because many families can only travel in the summer months when school is out--most don't have the option of visiting a destination like Chile in January or February when family members are in school. I also wonder what percentage of passengers on this route are connecting between Chile and Europe--most people visiting Europe will do so in the northern summer season, exactly when this route is suspended.
Summer is also the time when families can travel to Europe, so AA's limited widebody fleet is in the highest demand.
wrp96, Antarius and BWISkyGuy like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Fires in the Valparaiso / Vina del Mar region, and elsewhere, likely set by arson. The "National Botanic Park" is largely gone.
While a factor, AA also cut DFW-EZE for the same season.

Some seasonal right sizing makes sense, but if you cut too much, it's a rapid downhill slide. Coupled with Latam leaving OW (and then bankrupt), now partner GOL's bankruptcy, AA has limited options outside of their metall. They have to be careful to not throw away their only stronghold outside of LHR; pulling a Smisek @ JFK may seem wise, but it can come back around with a vengence.
FlyerBeek, CJ99, Abidjan and 6 others like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Antarius
While a factor, AA also cut DFW-EZE for the same season.

Some seasonal right sizing makes sense, but if you cut too much, it's a rapid downhill slide. Coupled with Latam leaving OW (and then bankrupt), now partner GOL's bankruptcy, AA has limited options outside of their metall. They have to be careful to not throw away their only stronghold outside of LHR; pulling a Smisek @ JFK may seem wise, but it can come back around with a vengence.
AA is permanently ending DFW-EZE?

I guess DL is the only left flying USA-SCL. AA, AC, and UA are suspending service to SCL make me sad.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 1:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by lsquare
I guess DL is the only left flying USA-SCL. AA, AC, and UA are suspending service to SCL make me sad.
No, AA is still flying MIA-SCL (AA957/AA912) with daily service.

-FlyerBeek
lsquare and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
No, AA is still flying MIA-SCL (AA957/AA912) with daily service.

-FlyerBeek
That's good news! So I guess AA will route all flights to MIA then. Hopefully, this won't increase the price of the fare!
Old Feb 16, 2024, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by TravellingChris
I also wonder what percentage of passengers on this route are connecting between Chile and Europe--most people visiting Europe will do so in the northern summer season, exactly when this route is suspended.
If I weren't a US citizen (which I imagine the majority of passengers flying between Chile and Europe aren't) I'd definitely avoid connecting via the US for a routing like this, and I imagine I wouldn't be the only one doing so. It's true that Chileans are part of the VWP so don't normally need a B1/B2 visa for the US, but why do the full immigration checks + baggage recheck rigmarole in the US when you can avoid it entirely by flying via any of the major Western European hubs (Madrid, London, Paris, Amsterdam)?

Honestly even as a US citizen I'd probably still avoid it unless there were deep cost discounts, as flying via DFW is also way out of the way compared to the European hubs (e.g. flying to Frankfurt is roughly a third longer via Dallas than via Madrid or London).

Last edited by andrewesque; Feb 16, 2024 at 6:55 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 16, 2024, 7:57 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by Antarius
AA doesn't have enough wide bodies due to Boeing's delays and AA's poor decision to retire nearly new a332s (and endless ongoing idiocy to not reverse this decision).

Instead, theyre likely pulling this for more high yielding routes like LHR, LHR and more LHR.
Anyone have any guesses as to whether AA will keep its JFK-EZE flights running? I have a vested interest in that as I booked a (very cheap!) ticket on that route for this summer.

That route has always struck me as a bit odd, even though it's been around for a while. Is there really a lot of demand from US tourists and rich Argentineans coming to Manhattan to shop? Although I guess AR also operates the route, so maybe.
ysolde and TravellingChris like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 8:08 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by lsquare
That's good news! So I guess AA will route all flights to MIA then. Hopefully, this won't increase the price of the fare!
Yeah, none of these routes are losing AA service. They’re just seasonally losing AA service that doesn’t route via MIA, their main Latin American hub.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 9:26 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Anyone have any guesses as to whether AA will keep its JFK-EZE flights running? I have a vested interest in that as I booked a (very cheap!) ticket on that route for this summer.

That route has always struck me as a bit odd, even though it's been around for a while. Is there really a lot of demand from US tourists and rich Argentineans coming to Manhattan to shop? Although I guess AR also operates the route, so maybe.
There's a sizable Argentinian community in the NY area so I doubt JFK-EZE will go away. Those flights are always full in both directions.
ESpen36, ysolde and becks1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.