Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Two Flights Booked to Different Cities at Same Time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2024, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

A family member is flying AA from the Caribbean to MIA Friday afternoon, the flight operates noon to 4pm. Once in MIA, they will choose whether to fly to DFW or EWR.

They have purchased a separate ticket from MIA to DFW for about 730pm. No problem there.

However, they are also purchased a MIA-ORD ticket for Friday morning that (prior to that flights's departure time) they will do a same day flight change to a Friday evening flight.

Question; On Friday morning, when they use same day flight change to move the MIA-EWR morning flight to an evening flight that is at the same time as their purchased ticket from MIA to DFW, what will happen? Will AA cancel one of the purchased tickets?
Old Feb 13, 2024, 10:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
However, they are also purchased a MIA-ORD ticket for Friday morning that (prior to that flights's departure time) they will do a same day flight change to a Friday evening flight.

Question; On Friday morning, when they use same day flight change to move the MIA-EWR morning flight to an evening flight that is at the same time as their purchased ticket from MIA to DFW, what will happen? Will AA cancel one of the purchased tickets?
Assuming that they are not trying to change the final destination via SDC but rather the discrepancy is a typo, and further assuming that there is same-day change availability (it is not always available, even if seats are open), I doubt there will be a problem. While it is technically against the contract of carriage, once the tickets are under airport control, I do not think AA's systems are sophisticated enough to catch an SDC'd redundancy and cancel it (and hey, lord knows AA EXP desk agents have "protected" on plenty of flights that overlap with my originally scheduled but iffy flight) - I wouldn't expect it to be proactively cxld by AA; I'd be more worried about whether SDC space will be available.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
As long as both of their flights are fully ticketed (not just on hold) then AA will not arbitrarily cancel one or the other bookings, even if they are overlapping or at the exact same time.

Once they're in MIA and figure out which flight they want to fly, just have them pull up the other reservation at aa.com and cancel it.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
As long as both of their flights are fully ticketed (not just on hold) then AA will not arbitrarily cancel one or the other bookings, even if they are overlapping or at the exact same time.

Once they're in MIA and figure out which flight they want to fly, just have them pull up the other reservation at aa.com and cancel it.
Perfect! Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.