Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA.COM absolutely useless for changing flights

Old Feb 11, 2024, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileageplus

I wish I didn't live in an AA major hub area but then then I had no choice but AA for my PTP-MIA flight. I am booked in business class one way and needed to change a current AA flight to a different Saturday. I thought I could do this online. NO. And that is my experience with AA.com when it comes t changing ANY flight I book through them. I always get the same pop up window. Every booking I have ever made on AA.com comes up with the same screen when I need to change. Why? It makes no sense. I always have to wait and wait for an AA agent to come on the phone or for a call back in order to make the change. In this case it was for a simple $43 add collect.

Ok, that's enough of my rant.

Old Feb 11, 2024, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP
I only ever get that message after an upgrade has been applied. Otherwise I have no problem changing flights on AA.com.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. I have heard that from others. . I don't know why I, alone, have this issue and AA cannot explain it. I have never used an upgrade on AA. All of my bookings are just straight forward, plain, regular bookings. But every instance I try to make a change it is consistent in saying the booking cannot be changed online and I have to call an agent. I thought AA was trying to make things easier so we didn't have to call agents. But, I guess, I am just a special case. LOL
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:04 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 1kprem
Thanks for your reply. I have heard that from others. . I don't know why I, alone, have this issue and AA cannot explain it. I have never used an upgrade on AA. All of my bookings are just straight forward, plain, regular bookings. But every instance I try to make a change it is consistent in saying the booking cannot be changed online and I have to call an agent. I thought AA was trying to make things easier so we didn't have to call agents. But, I guess, I am just a special case. LOL
I've always had that message pop up when trying to change international itineraries. Likely because of the complicated fare rules involved with such tickets.
jamiel likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I can totally understand complicated itineraries and fare rules. This is a one segment (one way) flight booking in business class. Business seats were available on the new flight. But AA.com simply could not handle this. And that seems ridiculous. I know there is not a thing anyone can do for me, so I accept this as a matter of course with AA. But I do have the option to vent a bit.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:23 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Thanks. I can totally understand complicated itineraries and fare rules. This is a one segment (one way) flight booking in business class. Business seats were available on the new flight. But AA.com simply could not handle this. And that seems ridiculous. I know there is not a thing anyone can do for me, so I accept this as a matter of course with AA. But I do have the option to vent a bit.
Of course, vent away - As someone who works in the field, it's always better to develop something that will put a human in the loop with complicated situations, than try to develop for each edge case (one way international being one of them), and it appears they've just blanket said if international, no change online. I wouldn't want to trust AA's IT with figuring it out either.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by S80
I've always had that message pop up when trying to change international itineraries. Likely because of the complicated fare rules involved with such tickets.
Same with me for any AA international flight.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 11:43 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've been able to change international flights but once an upgrade is applied, I'm forced to call
Old Feb 11, 2024, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Probably will get laughed at, but AA tech is overall pretty good, sorry for your issues or glitches, I had an account like that with some company, oh thats right, BA. It was cursed. But yea, AA tech rocks compared to Qantas, Alaska... some others. I'll give them props for that one.
formeraa likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
I wish I didn't live in an AA major hub area but then then I had no choice but AA for my PTP-MIA flight. I am booked in business class one way and needed to change a current AA flight to a different Saturday. I thought I could do this online. NO. And that is my experience with AA.com when it comes t changing ANY flight I book through them. I always get the same pop up window. Every booking I have ever made on AA.com comes up with the same screen when I need to change. Why? It makes no sense. I always have to wait and wait for an AA agent to come on the phone or for a call back in order to make the change. In this case it was for a simple $43 add collect.

Ok, that's enough of my rant.

The only time I get this is when I am travelling for business and my ticket has been issued thru Concur, the company's corporate travel entity.

All other tickets be they for international or domestic trvl, that I book directly via AA.co or via the app, do not provide a problem when I want to change the flights.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 6:43 pm
O62

I completely agree with you OP! So many of my flights get that error for no apparent reason. It's frustrating when I just want to explore what fare difference might be.

Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Probably will get laughed at, but AA tech is overall pretty good, sorry for your issues or glitches, I had an account like that with some company, oh thats right, BA. It was cursed. But yea, AA tech rocks compared to Qantas, Alaska... some others. I'll give them props for that one.
I'll admit, I spit out in laughter on this one. Coming from UA or even DL, I hate AA IT so much. How many of the app functions just lead you to an in-app browser that takes you you the AA.com site in a wrapper? Want to save passengers? Can't do it from the booking page, gotta go to your profile and add it..oh but we won't save middle names or KTN numbers. I could go on.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 8:02 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by S80
Of course, vent away - As someone who works in the field, it's always better to develop something that will put a human in the loop with complicated situations, than try to develop for each edge case (one way international being one of them), and it appears they've just blanket said if international, no change online. I wouldn't want to trust AA's IT with figuring it out either.
I think a better elaboration of the issue is that if AA is going to make this decision (which is a valid one), they should at least have the decency to spell it out so folks can manage their expectations.

[I've got an upcoming flight that WX-waivered, and the website is useless.]
Old Feb 11, 2024, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA EP; UA 1K
This has been a frustrating issue for me with any reservation where an upgrade has been applied or a trip/flight credit applied on the itinerary. Has gotten so frustrating especially on weekends with long wait times even for EPs that Ive resorted to buying one way instead of round trips.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I've got an upcoming flight that WX-waivered, and the website is useless.
This. The site has always given me the same alternatives in a weather waiver situation as it would have without the waiver. Any deviation from those requires a call.

Even if the web site does offer you alternatives for change they are frequently priced badly and you have to call.

I have also found AA.com useless for same day changes. I normally get an expected set of SDC options via the app but the web site always tells me there are no flights available, even for standby.

The single place AA does a decent job is providing a reasonable set of choices in the event of irrops. Those choices usually preserve upgrades when possible. However, I had an AUS-CLT-GSP trip a few days ago where the AUS-CLT flight had a mechanical delay. The app would only offer me different CLT-GSP flights, but what I really wanted was other ways to get from AUS to GSP.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by O62
I'll admit, I spit out in laughter on this one. Coming from UA or even DL, I hate AA IT so much. How many of the app functions just lead you to an in-app browser that takes you you the AA.com site in a wrapper? Want to save passengers? Can't do it from the booking page, gotta go to your profile and add it..oh but we won't save middle names or KTN numbers. I could go on.
can't spell [manure] without AA IT.

It's pretty bad. In the Posters defense, BA IT is equally horrendous.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.