Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA sued over accounts they closed alleging credit card abuse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA sued over accounts they closed alleging credit card abuse

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Unless AA refunded the money citi paid AA for all the miles confiscated I'm guessing the lawyers could easily ( if they win) get at least the amount AA profited on the sale of the confiscated miles.

What that number is I have no idea.

Also AA took ALL OUR MILES............2/3 of mine weren't art of the mailer/emailer deal, I'm guessing many who lost miles actually earned some of them flying.
The complaint requests $5 million.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Because no explanation has ever been given the complaint asserts that the statute of limitations is tolled under the fraudulent concealment doctrine.

Given this suit has been in the works for some time, the lawyers have to have good reason to think that will stand.
This may come as a surprise to you, but many lawyers file cases based on novel theories that are tossed out at early stages...even ones theyve been working on for a long time. One would imagine that if this was some slam dunk case, they would have been able to file before the expiration of the statute of limitations. And a lot of good lawyers wouldn't touch a case like this for any number of reasons, including the potential unclean hands defense.

As for your theory that not providing someone with the details of why you closed their account constitutes "fraudulent concealment," that's not what that means. There has to be concealment of misconduct with the intent to deceive or defraud. It's not enough that they think AA acted wrongfully, but that AA hid what happened with the intent to deceive them by hiding it. (I bet AA could also use Flyertalk posts to rebut any fraudulent concealment theory!!)

Maybe these are actually genius lawyers who have figured this all out. Maybe they'll get a judge who indulges the creative use of the law. Either way, no one should expect this to be some slam dunk case that's going to inflict massive damage on AA.

(I'm not sure why you think the statute of limitations would be a post discovery summary judgment issue. It would likely be raised in a motion to dismiss, and *maybe* a judge would allow limited discovery on the fraudulent concealment theory if the plaintiffs have a credible basis to believe discovery would allow them to meet the relevant standard.)

Last edited by Adam1222; Jan 29, 2024 at 7:31 pm
Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:30 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Reading the complaint now -- between the two of them, these plaintiffs had earned less than 21,000 miles actually flying on AA over the four years (him) and two years (her) they were AA members.

Also, just checked the Advantage terms and conditions. No idea when they were last updated, but I'd note that one of the terms is a class action waiver.

YOU AGREE THAT THE RESOLUTION OF ANY DISPUTE, CLAIM, OR CONTROVERSY RELATED TO THE PROGRAM SHALL BE CONDUCTED ON AN INDIVIDUAL, NOT A CLASS-WIDE BASIS, AND THAT NO SUCH PROCEEDING MAY BE CONSOLIDATED WITH ANY OTHER LEGAL PROCEEDINGS INVOLVING AMERICAN AIRLINES OR ITS AFFILIATED ENTITIES. YOU FURTHER AGREE THAT YOU, AND ANYONE ASSERTING A CLAIM FOR YOU, WILL NOT BE A CLASS REPRESENTATIVE, CLASS MEMBER, OR OTHERWISE PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS, REPRESENTATIVE, CONSOLIDATED OR PRIVATE ATTORNEY GENERAL PROCEEDING AGAINST AMERICAN AIRLINES.

AJNEDC likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:31 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
If there were so many people wrongly shut down by AA, why did it take the lawyers over four years to find two plaintiffs? When this went down, there were thousands of posts about it here, travel blogs, Reddit, etc.

This lawsuit looks like a Hail Mary, but after the clock already expired.
AJNEDC, hhdl and AirborneLocksmith like this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:31 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Ginsberg isn't relevant. This is an unjust enrichment claim.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt. I just hope the attorneys are getting a good hourly fee on this.

If anyone has the complaint, who is counsel for the Nachisons?
hhdl and AirborneLocksmith like this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by js1993
If there were so many people wrongly shut down by AA, why did it take the lawyers over four years to find two plaintiffs? When this went down, there were thousands of posts about it here, travel blogs, Reddit, etc.

This lawsuit looks like a Hail Mary, but after the clock already expired.
​​​​​​One of the hardest things about being a good plaintiffs lawyer is explaining to people that even when they are wronged, they may not have a legal remedy. It's possible that the plaintiffs existed, just couldn't find lawyers.
LETTERBOY, wrp96, AJNEDC and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:34 pm

Sigh. Yes, yes, yes, we went through this all years ago when the ignorant AA apologists were running around crying "Ginsberg!"

This case has nothing to do with AA's role as an airline.

Originally Posted by Adam1222
​​​​​​One of the hardest things about being a good plaintiffs lawyer is explaining to people that even when they are wronged, they may not have a legal remedy. It's possible that the plaintiffs existed, just couldn't find lawyers.
In this situation they were looking for plaintiffs with a specific fact set in one or two specific jurisdictions.

Originally Posted by beltway2a
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt. I just hope the attorneys are getting a good hourly fee on this.

If anyone has the complaint, who is counsel for the nachisons?
milberg coleman bryson
phillips grossman, pllc

Last edited by JY1024; Jan 29, 2024 at 8:50 pm Reason: merged 3 consecutive posts - please use multi-quote feature
Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:36 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
The complaint requests $5 million.
I've reread the complaint and don't see that figure in there. (It's in the cover sheet.)

I specifically see this, which is fairly boilerplate:

WHEREFORE, Plaintiffs, on behalf of themselves and members of the proposed Class, respectfully request that the Court: a. Determine that the claims alleged herein may be maintained as a class action under Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 23, and issue an order certifying one or more classes as defined above; b. Appoint Plaintiffs as the representatives of the Class and their counsel as Class counsel; c. Award all actual, general, special, incidental, statutory, punitive, and consequential damages and restitution to which Plaintiffs and the Class Members are entitled; d. Award pre-judgment and post-judgment interest on such monetary relief; e. Award reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs; and f. Grant such further relief that this Court deems appropriate.
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt. I just hope the attorneys are getting a good hourly fee on this.

If anyone has the complaint, who is counsel for the Nachisons?
Milberg Coleman. They're not getting an hourly fee (unless the client is successful) -- the clients are almost certainly on contingency.

Last edited by chgoeditor; Jan 29, 2024 at 7:56 pm
Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:36 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Lawyers were fishing around this four years ago, though. Most of those affected apparently weren't as innocent as they claimed.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by js1993
Lawyers were fishing around this four years ago, though. Most of those affected apparently weren't as innocent as they claimed.
​​​​​​Yes, hence my earlier reference to the unclean hands doctrine.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:42 pm

In this situation they were looking for plaintiffs with a specific fact set in one or two specific jurisdictions.
I'm a little confused by your posts in this thread, as they suggest you have a lot of information about the attorneys thought process, work product, and selection of class representatives. (I have to assume you are not one of the lawyers on the team, as no lawyer in such a situation would be foolish enough to be posting like that here.). Since I think Flyertalk posts *already* pose a threat to the fraudulent concealment theory, if you *do* have insight into the details of the case formulation, you may want to avoid subjecting yourself to discovery by continuing to share that here.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:44 pm

I am not in any way affiliated.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
If they make a nice fee that means I get a nice payout as well.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:46 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Milberg Coleman. They're not getting an hourly fee (unless the client is successful) -- they clients are almost certainly on contingency.
Interesting. I'm not familiar with them (but don't really play in those circles), but they seem legitimate and probably have a theory as to why this would survive dismissal. It's just not a bet I would make (the hourly fee bit was a joke about my belief of the likelihood of success).
Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:48 pm

In that case, your insight into the case selection process and certainty about everything that will unfold in this case is not particularly valuable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.