Wiki Posts
Search

Wacky Tax Difference: Main vs. PE

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2024, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT, 2.15 million miles; Priority Club PLT
Wacky Tax Difference: Main vs. PE

Can anyone explain this? I'm seeing so many other odd things lately with AA.com, but this one is really baffling:

Taxes for Main: $850 ...
Taxes for PE: $106 ...

Can anyone explain?

Old Jan 24, 2024, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by malcolmkettering
Can anyone explain this? I'm seeing so many other odd things lately with AA.com, but this one is really baffling:

Taxes for Main: $850 ...
Taxes for PE: $106 ...

Can anyone explain?
Yes, I'm guessing you are searching roundtrip. You have to fully select both outbound and return flights to see the real taxes.

When you search for a roundtrip award aa.com will often show wonky taxes on the outbound segment based on what flights are available on the return. Again once you click through and select flights they will normalize.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
does having BA have an effect taxes>
Old Jan 25, 2024, 8:10 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by fotographer
For awards, yes. BA charges fees on awards which can show up in the "taxes & fees" total, and these can be in the hundreds of dollars.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 8:18 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fotographer
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
For awards, yes. BA charges fees on awards which can show up in the "taxes & fees" total, and these can be in the hundreds of dollars.
Yes, and since these are award chart based, they are often way lower than equivalent fares on AA (just with the addition of hundreds in "carrier surcharges" - AA's mileage search engine defaults to picking the lowest available itinerary by number of miles needed, not taxes and fees, which is why on the outbound of a european round trip it often shows wacky numbers (for those of us who are unwilling to pay those surcharges on awards), as BA is often the lowest miles price.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT, 2.15 million miles; Priority Club PLT
Thanks ... still seems odd that Main would be so much higher than PE ... I guess that means in this instance that no matter what Main return segment I would have chosen, it could only have been on BA TATL and thus would attract the super high tax? Terrible handling by the search engine in any case.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 9:47 am
S80

Originally Posted by malcolmkettering
Thanks ... still seems odd that Main would be so much higher than PE ... I guess that means in this instance that no matter what Main return segment I would have chosen, it could only have been on BA TATL and thus would attract the super high tax? Terrible handling by the search engine in any case.
In this case it means that for Main, the cheapest return in miles cost was on BA, with the high surcharge, and that for PE the cheapest return in miles cost was on AA, without that high surcharge (just taxes). Once you go to select the return, you can choose whatever is available, which can include a low miles/high surcharge BA option, or pay a few more miles for an AA option without a high surcharge. The search engine is defaulting to show the whole cost of the specific outbound itinerary + the miles/surcharge cost of the cheapest (in miles) itinerary.
JJeffrey, hhdl and aisleorwindow like this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by S80
Once you go to select the return, you can choose whatever is available, which can include a low miles/high surcharge BA option, or pay a few more miles for an AA option without a high surcharge.
Not in this case: AA does not serve WAW, which means that even if AA is utilized for the TATL leg, the award will still price as a partner award.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 9:57 am
S80

Originally Posted by guv1976
Not in this case: AA does not serve WAW, which means that even if AA is utilized for the TATL leg, the award will still price as a partner award.
I just did a search for SFO-WAW as in OP's case, and even though both were at the same miles price, the taxes were much higher when using BA for the TATL segment vs AA. On the first search page, it showed the higher surcharge price return with BA TATL, which I'd argue shouldn't happen.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by S80
I just did a search for SFO-WAW as in OP's case, and even though both were at the same miles price, the taxes were much higher when using BA for the TATL segment vs AA. On the first search page, it showed the higher surcharge price return with BA TATL, which I'd argue shouldn't happen.
My point was that, even though utilizing BA for the TATL leg will result in much higher fees (i.e., carrier surcharges) --and just slightly higher taxes, properly so called -- you will not have to pay any more miles if you can find an itinerary using AA miles for the TATL leg, since the itinerary will still price as a partner award (in miles).

By contrast, if you were to look for a JFK-LHR-JFK roundtrip with AA miles, you likely would have to pay more miles to fly AA rather than BA.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 10:14 am
S80

My point was that, even though utilizing BA for the TATL leg will result in much higher fees (i.e., carrier surcharges) --and just slightly higher taxes, properly so called -- you will not have to pay any more miles if you can find an itinerary using AA miles for the TATL leg, since the itinerary will still price as a partner award (in miles).

By contrast, if you were to look for a JFK-LHR-JFK roundtrip with AA miles, you likely would have to pay more miles to fly AA rather than BA.
Yes, you are correct, my apologies for not making that distinction.

AA still prioritizes BA for the TATL sector on a partner award, which results as the higher taxes/fees showing up by default, which shouldn't happen, but alas.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by S80
AA still prioritizes BA for the TATL sector on a partner award, which results as the higher taxes/fees showing up by default, which shouldn't happen, but alas.
I wonder whether DOT regulations are what is causing AA to display the highest-possible cash component on the initial display:

"The Department’s new airfare advertising rule, which took effect on Jan. 26, 2012, requires every advertised price for air fares to state the entire price to be paid by consumers. This means that all mandatory government-imposed taxes and fees as well as mandatory carrier-imposed charges must be included in the advertised price the first time an airfare is presented to consumers." (Emphasis added.)

Source:

https://www.transportation.gov/brief...-free-airfares
Old Jan 25, 2024, 10:24 am
S80

I wonder whether DOT regulations are what is causing AA to display the highest-possible cash component on the initial display:

"The Department’s new airfare advertising rule, which took effect on Jan. 26, 2012, requires every advertised price for air fares to state the entire price to be paid by consumers. This means that all mandatory government-imposed taxes and fees as well as mandatory carrier-imposed charges must be included in the advertised price the first time an airfare is presented to consumers." (Emphasis added.)

Source:

https://www.transportation.gov/brief...-free-airfares
If that caused it, that would be interesting, as the lower price (aka AA without the wild surcharges) is a valid inclusive price for the entire airfare.

The only other thing I can think of is the prioritization due to being at the same terminal for a BA to BA transfer at LHR (except in the cases where it isn't ofc), so it has fewer 'warnings' (Eg change terminal/airport, short/long connection, redeye, etc) on the itinerary.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 10:27 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Please don't call this taxes. The taxes on the ticket don't change. The problem is the ripoff charges by BA on tickets that are supposed to be "free." Sadly, 3 consecutive DOTs have not taken any action against this behavior by BA.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1120A
Please don't call this taxes. The taxes on the ticket don't change.
(Emphasis added.)

Actually, they do, but only slightly. "Free" tickets (i.e., those without any carrier surcharges) are exempt from some U.S. taxes/fees). But you are correct that the overwhelming portion of the higher cash component is attributable to the BA carrier surcharge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.