Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Paid full price for main cabin and received O class instead of Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2024, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Hello all,

I have never upgraded with miles before and was wanting to book a full-fare main cabin (Y class) and upgrade to business class by using 25,000 miles. When my confirmation email came out, they ticketed me for an O class which is discount economy. I reached out to AA and they told me my main cabin economy rt of $998 is the cheapest main cabin fare and to upgrade me to an Y I would have needed to pay $5425 RT. This sounded ridiculous to me since premium economy RT was $2779 and RT business class seats were $4316. She said what I am looking at are the cheapest available AA seats and Y class cannot be booked online and I have to call someone to make that booking.
Can someone tell me if this makes sense and if they run into this issue before that to upgrade to business class, I would first have to spend $5425 for a Y class economy seat and then spend 25,000 miles to upgrade to business class seat or else just buy the business class seat for $4316 and save money.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Depends on what the route is as for the applicable fare

A Y basis ticket can be very expensive , would expect it to be more expensive than discount PE and possibly more than discount business

What is the route?

As an example, JFK-LHR r/t starts at $591 r/t plus taxes in O class whilst Y class starts at $4718 plus taxes/charges
Premium economy starts at $1081plus taxes/ and business at $2216 plus taxes

If upgrading using miles, then it is likely better value to use the higher mileage plus co-pay that is needed for O class, than to pay for Y

e.g. for JFK-LHR it would be 25,000 mlles plus $350 from discount economy each way vs the 15,000 miles needed to upgrade from full economy

the extra 20,000 plus $700 may well work out better value

Note: you would have to pay any additional taxes too regardless of which upgrade you use
dw, ChurnieEls and gman1118 like this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 20, 2024 at 3:30 pm
Old Jan 20, 2024, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Buy J and earn more LP! That's the nature of the Game these days!
Old Jan 20, 2024, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by gman1118
Can someone tell me if this makes sense and if they run into this issue before that to upgrade to business class, I would first have to spend $5425 for a Y class economy seat and then spend 25,000 miles to upgrade to business class seat or else just buy the business class seat for $4316 and save money.
It makes perfect sense as a full Y fare between US>Europe is always going to be prohibitively expensive.

If you want to upgrade, you can always upgrade from any normal economy fare to business for 25k miles + $350. In most circumstances there is no reason to purchase a full Y fare for the purpose of upgrading.
dw, jerry a. laska, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
It makes perfect sense as a full Y fare between US>Europe is always going to be prohibitively expensive.

If you want to upgrade, you can always upgrade from any normal economy fare to business for 25k miles + $350. In most circumstances there is no reason to purchase a full Y fare for the purpose of upgrading.
Just wait until he finds out that even if he had a prohibitively expensive Y ticket, he'd still need to find prohibitively unobtainable upgrade-C space.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I miss the old days on Delta (and possibly AA) when you could ask to be up-fared to full Y during IRROPs (for free) and beat everyone on the upgrade list for your new flight.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL*DM/AA*G
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
I miss the old days on Delta (and possibly AA) when you could ask to be up-fared to full Y during IRROPs (for free) and beat everyone on the upgrade list for your new flight.
Still happens on DL occasionally, especially on non 006 issued tickets where the DL irrops lead to a reissue on 006.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gman1118
It would seem to me to be a no-brainer to pay $4316 for business class instead of $5425+25,000 miles. (Though isn’t full fare upgrade only 15k?)
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Y fares are almost always comical. Far easier to buy discount J.

I did have a weird situation in 2021 where a UK-US roundtrip was 2k USD (around Christmas) and to book the same in full fare Y was 100 USD more. Booked that and used 15k miles for each to move to J.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
It would seem to me to be a no-brainer to pay $4316 for business class instead of $5425+25,000 miles. (Though isn’t full fare upgrade only 15k?)
Depends on your needs. If you need a fully flexible/refundable ticket then it makes sense.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 10:47 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
As an fyi O is the deepest discount fare class that’s not basic economy. It’s generally the absolute lowest price AA will offer on a route. Y is the highest fare for economy and is generally purchased by business travelers who are flying the same day their ticket is purchased (obviously that’s a massive generalization)
Old Jan 21, 2024, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Aren't full Y fare just used for fare construction purposes? Don't understand why anyone would seek to purchase one when J discounted J would be less expensive.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by AJNEDC
Aren't full Y fare just used for fare construction purposes? Don't understand why anyone would seek to purchase one when J discounted J would be less expensive.
No they are not. A full fare economy ticket is fully flexible and refundable whilst a discounted business class ticket will likely have cancellation penalties, may have purchasing restrictions / minimum stay restrictions. If needing the flexibility, a discounted business ticket will not meet the requirements

Fare construction can ( and needs to be able to ) be done on any booking class
Old Jan 21, 2024, 2:36 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
No they are not. A full fare economy ticket is fully flexible and refundable whilst a discounted business class ticket will likely have cancellation penalties, may have purchasing restrictions / minimum stay restrictions. If needing the flexibility, a discounted business ticket will not meet the requirements

Fare construction can ( and needs to be able to ) be done on any booking class
Don’t you think airlines just need to have 3 types of fares: basic economy equivalent non refundable, can get trip credit, and can refund to method of payment?? Just add in dynamic pricing and class of services to adjust price of these three fare classes.

The old days of different classes of tickets are unnecessarily over complicated.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
Don’t you think airlines just need to have 3 types of fares: basic economy equivalent non refundable, can get trip credit, and can refund to method of payment?? Just add in dynamic pricing and class of services to adjust price of these three fare classes.

The old days of different classes of tickets are unnecessarily over complicated.
Seems airlines almost all disagree with you. (And your system doesn't sound all that simple, but I shall look forward to seeing how it works when you start your on airline...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.