Wiki Posts
Search

50th Anniversary of AA flights at DFW

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2024, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
50th Anniversary of AA flights at DFW

Headed home today, left LIT (Little Rock AR) early this AM on AA #3589.

Arrived in DFW. As I walked out of the jetbridge, there were quite a few airport & AA staff there to greet us! They were handing out goodies, and it was kinda a medium sized to-do. Pictures and video being shot.

Apparently, the very first flight into DFW was an AA flight from Little Rock. AA341 on 13 Jan 1974, and they were commemorating it - our flight was the first that day from LIT.

Unexpected, was cool, and brightened up my day.

All the best, James
Old Jan 13, 2024, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Was it going on to NRT?

But seriously, that's a cool gesture. DFW was one heck of a well done long term plan.
fdog, LovePrunes, DASRTR and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 3:10 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Antarius
But seriously, that's a cool gesture. DFW was one heck of a well done long term plan.
Other than the terminals set up for O & D traffic instead of connecting.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
You got a water cannon salute too upon arrival, right?
Old Jan 14, 2024, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by zdcatc12
Other than the terminals set up for O & D traffic instead of connecting.
DFW is one of the easiest airports to connect in. Name another major airline hub with similar flight volume that is better. The SkyLink train is quick and efficient, any connection can be done by walking (except to E), and there is a club in each terminal where you can always find a seat.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Despite the intent of the original design, I have had way more unpleasant experiences as an originating DFW passenger vs connecting
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
Despite the intent of the original design, I have had way more unpleasant experiences as an originating DFW passenger vs connecting
+1

Originating with checked luggage at D but coming back into A, only to have to lug stuff into a shuttle etc., or the alternative of parking far away = not a fun gamble. Seamless, of course, if you happen to park right across from C19, leave from the gate, and fly back into the same gate.

Never had trouble connecting except the odd time the Sky Link got stuck.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 10:33 pm

While there is no question the SkyLink IMO is one of the world’s best airport people movers today and was a welcome replacement, the old trAAin system wiki is quite a fun read:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vought_Airtrans

Building basically a mini transit system for the entire airport with the ambition to serve all needs was quite an interesting take, especially as airports were figuring out their most efficient design in the modern age. I’m not an airport historian but perhaps its failures at certain tasks (eg cargo) influenced the future design of airports.

I do hand it to DFW for seeming to always be a step ahead. Well, maybe except for those new fake lighted “trees” in Term A
Old Jan 14, 2024, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Originating with checked luggage at D but coming back into A, only to have to lug stuff into a shuttle etc., or the alternative of parking far away = not a fun gamble. Seamless, of course, if you happen to park right across from C19, leave from the gate, and fly back into the same gate.
Indeed the only thing IAH does better than DFW is the Disney “subway” outside security!
platbrownguy likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 6:12 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Stripe
DFW is one of the easiest airports to connect in. Name another major airline hub with similar flight volume that is better. The SkyLink train is quick and efficient, any connection can be done by walking (except to E), and there is a club in each terminal where you can always find a seat.
I have to agree. A <30 min connection there doesn't scare me at all. I can't think of another hub airport where I feel the same. I recently had to connect in DEN on UA, which involved a .75 mile walk from one end of B to the other. Not fun.
I find DFW to be efficient, good choice of food/drinks, good club access, as decent as TSA/CBP can be when I have to use them - by far my favorite airport to connect in.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 7:05 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
+1

Never had trouble connecting except the odd time the Sky Link got stuck.
Just get the train airside to where you parked, grab your car, drive back to where your luggage will be and pick it up. That way you are making best use of the time it takes the luggage to come out. The only time this doesn't work is for international arrivals, but since these will always be in D, if you are on an international arrival back then park at D on your way out.
slpybear and AAway like this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I agree but...when skylink is down for mx it immediately becomes the hardest to connect in. It's happened to me twice and not fun.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
Originally Posted by dmsdfw
Just get the train airside to where you parked, grab your car, drive back to where your luggage will be and pick it up. That way you are making best use of the time it takes the luggage to come out. The only time this doesn't work is for international arrivals, but since these will always be in D, if you are on an international arrival back then park at D on your way out.
This is the way. Rare is the occasion when MrsSlpybear and I will check a bag. (typically with the family) But when we do we will divide and conquer, one going to luggage and one going to car.

Sidenote: The older we get the increasing number of days we will travel in checked bags. We did 12 days in Europe with cold weather gear this past December. Never would have believed we could do that with checked bags but we did.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
NW terminal at DTW
UA's "Terminal for Tomorrow" at ORD (so branded when it debuted in the mid 1980s; it's still pretty efficient)
UA <> UA at SFO

Obviously there's a caveat that ORD is one of the worst possible airports for I>D connections but for strictly domestic online connections, UA-UA at ORD is pretty easy in light of the volume of traffic.

I really don't like the layout of KATL (mainly because the concourses are too narrow) but I will say that DL's overall efficiency at that hub blows AA DFW out of the water. Sure, you might be able to make a 30 minute connection at DFW, but will AA's incompetent, slow rampers get your bags to your next flight? DL seems to have figured out how to staff up a large hub operation to do tight connections well. AA seems clueless and understaffed in comparison.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Herb687
NW terminal at DTW
UA's "Terminal for Tomorrow" at ORD (so branded when it debuted in the mid 1980s; it's still pretty efficient)
UA <> UA at SFO
McNamara is nice, but it also can involve some serious walking. IME, it's like MIA albeit nicer.

ORD, like you said is fine when you're in one terminal and horrendous otherwise.

Originally Posted by Herb687
I really don't like the layout of KATL (mainly because the concourses are too narrow) but I will say that DL's overall efficiency at that hub blows AA DFW out of the water. Sure, you might be able to make a 30 minute connection at DFW, but will AA's incompetent, slow rampers get your bags to your next flight? DL seems to have figured out how to staff up a large hub operation to do tight connections well. AA seems clueless and understaffed in comparison.
That's more AA than ATL or DFW. I have no idea how AA manages to do such a bad job with reasonable checked bag delivery time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.