Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Changing or dropping last segment of a AA partner award...Possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing or dropping last segment of a AA partner award...Possible?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2024 | 3:04 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by headinclouds
Instead of taking the train from EWR to DC, I want to cancel the last segment after arriving in ORD and fly on a separate ticket to DC. I will check 1 bag in HND, but since I have to collect the bag in ORD, is there an issue if I then cancel the last segment after collecting my bag?
No, Ive done something similar 5 or 6 times on AA in the last 6 or 7 years. (Just about once every 15-18 months.) Most recently in February when I dropped BOS-DCA-PHL from a MLE-DOH-BOS-DCA-PHL trip and I took Amtrak home instead. Dont make it habit, and AA will not get bent out of shape. Anecdotally, AA does not seem to mind this nearly as much (if at all) compared to hidden-city ticketing.
Old May 5, 2024 | 7:45 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by headinclouds
I searched for an award on JAL, HND-ORD. No go. But there was an award HND-ORD-EWR on the date in question. I booked it since any award to the DC metro area does not route on JAL. Instead of taking the train from EWR to DC, I want to cancel the last segment after arriving in ORD and fly on a separate ticket to DC. I will check 1 bag in HND, but since I have to collect the bag in ORD, is there an issue if I then cancel the last segment after collecting my bag?
They should not get bent out of shape. Given it is a partner award, you should be able to drop/change individual segments ahead of time. So I would just avoid the issue altogether and ask them to drop the ORD-EWR segment before you fly.
Old May 28, 2024 | 5:25 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited

Hi all, I have a similar question to those posted above, but to be thorough I'll ask it anyway:

Currently booked a partner award in J routing JFK-LHR-ATH, all on BA metal. This routing has an 11h 20m connection at LHR and arrives in ATH at 2:05am. I like the JFK-LHR leg, as it arrives to LHR early enough to catch an earlier direct flight to ATH (or possibly JTR instead). I'd therefore rather skip my LHR-ATH leg on the award ticket and book a cash ticket instead. I will not have checked bags and am not worried about changing the routing of the first leg since the partner award is using all BA metal.

I'm a longtime EP and have a decent balance of AAdvantage miles I don't want to jeopardize. I've never skiplagged on AA/partners nor would make a habit of doing so. But still...I'd rather not sacrifice a whole day in London when we want to maximize our time in Greece, and would prefer not to pay upwards of twice the miles just to get part way to my intended destination.

I'm hoping that in the coming weeks an award becomes available to ATH without the long layover. However, in the event that this does not come up, I gather that on partner awards you actually can just drop the last leg ahead of time?
Old May 28, 2024 | 5:31 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by gophish11
Hi all, I have a similar question to those posted above, but to be thorough I'll ask it anyway:

Currently booked a partner award in J routing JFK-LHR-ATH, all on BA metal. This routing has an 11h 20m connection at LHR and arrives in ATH at 2:05am. I like the JFK-LHR leg, as it arrives to LHR early enough to catch an earlier direct flight to ATH (or possibly JTR instead). I'd therefore rather skip my LHR-ATH leg on the award ticket and book a cash ticket instead. I will not have checked bags and am not worried about changing the routing of the first leg since the partner award is using all BA metal.

I'm a longtime EP and have a decent balance of AAdvantage miles I don't want to jeopardize. I've never skiplagged on AA/partners nor would make a habit of doing so. But still...I'd rather not sacrifice a whole day in London when we want to maximize our time in Greece, and would prefer not to pay upwards of twice the miles just to get part way to my intended destination.

I'm hoping that in the coming weeks an award becomes available to ATH without the long layover, or just to LHR with an early enough (before 10:00 am) arrival so I can just terminate the award there and catch an earlier flight to ATH or JTR. However, in the event that this does not come up, I should not expect any repercussions with AA if I simply cancel the last leg on arrival to LHR?
I dont think there will be any consequence. Id wait and see if an award opens up on the flight you want, and see if you can book that. If not, Id risk it. (And Im sitting on ~600k miles.) When you land at LHR simply go to the BA transfer desk and tell them an emergency popped up and you need to cancel the onward leg. I doubt theyll care (even if you have a paid onward flight with BA) and I doubt theyll report anything to AA.
Old May 28, 2024 | 5:49 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited

Originally Posted by CMTinPHL
I dont think there will be any consequence. Id wait and see if an award opens up on the flight you want, and see if you can book that. If not, Id risk it. (And Im sitting on ~600k miles.) When you land at LHR simply go to the BA transfer desk and tell them an emergency popped up and you need to cancel the onward leg. I doubt theyll care (even if you have a paid onward flight with BA) and I doubt theyll report anything to AA.
Thanks for the quick reply. Although, I edited my question probably while you were responding, LOL. My understanding per post #17 above, and per View From the Wing, that I should be able to drop the last leg of a partner award redemption without violating T&C. Is that right? I'm (as per usual) having a hard time finding that exact stipulation in AA's T&C. I've read a bit more here on FT and the blogosphere that dropping a partner award segment is allowed.
Old May 28, 2024 | 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Thanks for the quick reply. Although, I edited my question probably while you were responding, LOL. My understanding per post #17 above, and per View From the Wing, that I should be able to drop the last leg of a partner award redemption without violating T&C. Is that right? I'm (as per usual) having a hard time finding that exact stipulation in AA's T&C. I've read a bit more here on FT and the blogosphere that dropping a partner award segment is allowed.
In theory it still should be possible to drop just the last segment however many agents now will mistakenly claim that this isn't allowed or that you can't change an award at all, only cancel everything and start over. So you can try calling and asking and just see if you luck out and get a good agent.

If not, I really wouldn't worry about it. Just book the earlier LHR-ATH flight via BA. As soon as you land at LHR pull up your award reservation at aa.com and cancel it, this will eventually remove you from the later LHR-ATH flight and no one will ever look at that record again. If anyone from BA were to ask (they won't) just say you cancelled that ticket and booked a new one, end of story.

Then just make sure you check in online for the early LHR-ATH flight and use that boarding pass to go through the BP check prior to security. Then enjoy your much longer day in Greece as opposed to Heathrow.

I've had to do similar things once or twice in the past when the cost to change the ticket was exorbitant but you could buy a separate LHR-XXX flight that I needed for $150.
Happy and gophish11 like this.
Old May 30, 2024 | 5:11 pm

Follow up to my original question:

If I can drop the last leg of my partner award (LHR-ATH of a currently booked JFK-LHR-ATH), and pay cash for a BA fare from LHR-JTR, could I then have them marry the segments? All legs would be on BA. Or am I expecting too much from BA, given that the JFK-LHR is booked with AAdvantage miles?

And if this can be done, would I have to deal with customs at Heathrow regardless? I would only have an hour and 10 minute connection time, given a 9:05 arrival from JFK and 10:15 departure to JTR. No checked bags, but would presumably need to transfer terminals.
Old May 31, 2024 | 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Follow up to my original question:

If I can drop the last leg of my partner award (LHR-ATH of a currently booked JFK-LHR-ATH), and pay cash for a BA fare from LHR-JTR, could I then have them marry the segments? All legs would be on BA. Or am I expecting too much from BA, given that the JFK-LHR is booked with AAdvantage miles?

And if this can be done, would I have to deal with customs at Heathrow regardless? I would only have an hour and 10 minute connection time, given a 9:05 arrival from JFK and 10:15 departure to JTR. No checked bags, but would presumably need to transfer terminals.
It's not possible to 'marry the segments' or combine PNR's like that.

But whether you have 1 reservation or 2 reservations, with no checked bags there is no customs or immigration you have to deal with during a connection at LHR.

For JFK-LHR then LHR-JTR, both flights would arrive and depart from T5. You simply get off the JFK-LHR flight, follow the signs for T5 flight connections, clear security again then head to the lounge or gate.
gophish11 likes this.
Old May 31, 2024 | 5:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
40 Countries Visited3M20 Years on Site

Even if it could be conceptually merged into one booking, it would not be possible since the minimum connecting time is 75 minutes
Old May 31, 2024 | 6:57 am
20 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
I have a somewhat related question:
I'm looking at booking partner award USA-LHR-AUH. USA-LHR is operated by AA, LHR-AUH is operated by EY. Looking far out, I've seen J available for 70K, and F available for 115K. But in each case, the EY segment is in coach. I am guessing this is because EY only releases J or F close-in to the travel date (I believe I read 30 days someplace). The desire would be to book it, and if within 30 days of travel F or J opens up, have the class of service on the EY leg adjusted accordingly. This would seem fair, as I've already paid the full J/F point values for the award. In speaking with an agent about this earlier this week, she clearly stated she cannot change an award. I would need to cancel it, and start from scratch. But from reading this thread, it seems like this may not be accurate.

Any advice?
Old Jun 6, 2024 | 2:54 pm

As an update, I called the EXP desk and they dropped LHR-ATH for me without issue and it took about 15 seconds. Easiest call with AA I've had in ages. I didn't expect it to be so easy, as for whatever reason my JFK-LHR routing alone did not show up on AA.com using miles with the trip terminating in London. This is a nice little trick to keep in the back pocket.

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
It's not possible to 'marry the segments' or combine PNR's like that.

But whether you have 1 reservation or 2 reservations, with no checked bags there is no customs or immigration you have to deal with during a connection at LHR.

For JFK-LHR then LHR-JTR, both flights would arrive and depart from T5. You simply get off the JFK-LHR flight, follow the signs for T5 flight connections, clear security again then head to the lounge or gate.
This is great - thanks for the info. Glad to know I won't need to clear customs, as long as we can fit everything into carryons.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Even if it could be conceptually merged into one booking, it would not be possible since the minimum connecting time is 75 minutes
Makes sense. Now I just need to determine whether I want to chance it with this tight connection on two separate tickets. I'll likely rethink this and book a later flight that connects through Athens or perhaps fly into JMK instead, which provides for a nearly 3-hour connection.

Originally Posted by WannaTheater
I have a somewhat related question:
I'm looking at booking partner award USA-LHR-AUH. USA-LHR is operated by AA, LHR-AUH is operated by EY. Looking far out, I've seen J available for 70K, and F available for 115K. But in each case, the EY segment is in coach. I am guessing this is because EY only releases J or F close-in to the travel date (I believe I read 30 days someplace). The desire would be to book it, and if within 30 days of travel F or J opens up, have the class of service on the EY leg adjusted accordingly. This would seem fair, as I've already paid the full J/F point values for the award. In speaking with an agent about this earlier this week, she clearly stated she cannot change an award. I would need to cancel it, and start from scratch. But from reading this thread, it seems like this may not be accurate.

Any advice?
Hmm...I think it only counts as a partner award if all legs are on partner airlines. I'm not positive, but I think they'll reprice the USA-LHR leg if you wanted to drop LHR-AUH.
Old Jun 6, 2024 | 3:07 pm
20 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Hmm...I think it only counts as a partner award if all legs are on partner airlines. I'm not positive, but I think they'll reprice the USA-LHR leg if you wanted to drop LHR-AUH.
Not wanting to drop the leg- Just have it upgraded to the higher class of service that I conceptually already paid for.
Old Jun 6, 2024 | 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by WannaTheater
Not wanting to drop the leg- Just have it upgraded to the higher class of service that I conceptually already paid for.
This still should be possible but many agents now mistakenly claim that no changes are allowed on any awards and that you have to cancel everything and rebook.
WannaTheater likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2024 | 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
This still should be possible but many agents now mistakenly claim that no changes are allowed on any awards and that you have to cancel everything and rebook.
How do we know that it isn't the other way around, that not allowing changes on awards is the new AA policy that some agents mistakenly don't follow?
rumboj likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2024 | 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by tth6133
How do we know that it isn't the other way around, that not allowing changes on awards is the new AA policy that some agents mistakenly don't follow?
When AA moved to Flight Awards and Partner Awards, they changed AA-only Flight Awards to not allow any changes. Cancel and rebook is your only option.

But Partner Awards did not change. In theory it's still possible to make changes, drop a segment, etc.

The problem is that AA being AA, they did not train their agents properly on the Flight Award vs Partner Award changes. Many agents don't know the difference, just assume they're all the same thing, same rules apply, no changes, must cancel and rebook.

Gary wrote a bit on this a while ago, AA even came out and said that Partner Awards haven't changed and that changes are still allowed. Someone at AA just needs to tell their agents this.

VFTW - HUCA Changing AA Partner Awards
WannaTheater and Antarius like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.